State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by xiangyu » February 23rd, 2020, 10:31 am

bjt4888 wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 7:01 pm
Xiangyu,

Congratulations. Don’t feel bad about the second flight this is a very good result.

We have the new propellers, but have others to test before them in the next sessions. So might be a week or so till we test.

Keep up the good work.

Brian T
Thanks!

I'll probably buy the new props soon as well. I'll test them next weekend and let y'all know how it goes.

Xiangyu
2020 Events: Wright Stuff, Gravity Vehicle. Circuit Lab, Boomilever, Ping-Pong Parachute, WIDI

RIP SO 2020

Medal & Ribbon Count: 8
East Grand Rapids High School Team Captain

xiangyu
Division: C

Post by xiangyu » February 23rd, 2020, 10:46 am

Oh also, if anyone wanna see my flight to the right, one of my friends took a video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CknW7svZAF59jDYL6
2020 Events: Wright Stuff, Gravity Vehicle. Circuit Lab, Boomilever, Ping-Pong Parachute, WIDI

RIP SO 2020

coachchuckaahs
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs » February 23rd, 2020, 1:58 pm

Well, we made it. We won NM, and are going to Nationals! It was a VERY CLOSE team score, which I do not have details on.

In WS, we won easily. We were the only school to even attempt the directional bonus, and scored 1:21 to the right and 1:13 to the left. Knowing the competition level in the state, we took a VERY conservative approach to rubber and winding. Our net score was more than 3 times the second place score, team I assisted via text from the southern part of the state.

While these scores are not impressive, we flew to win rather than fly to impress. I promise better flights at Nationals!

Now we focus on F1D for the next month+, and then return to SO in April! Romania here we come!

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records

lechassin

Post by lechassin » February 23rd, 2020, 2:10 pm

Congratulations to all on your successes! Xiangyu, that video is not only a great time, it was aesthetically very pleasing to watch the plane carve the circles.

Our regionals is next Saturday, so we've done everything we can. Reliable for us is 1'35" each way. We can get upwards of 1'50" each way but only with a conscious decision to increase risks (wider radius, skimming rafters, aft CG/low decalage, aggressive winding). To get two minutes at 25 feet we need all of the above plus one or two hits.

The biggest problem we face is actually that Luke will not hesitate to take those risks. He won his invitationals with huge luck, and he seems stubbornly oblivious to that fact. I keep telling him to fly conservatively but in the end, it's his call. I don't go, to avoid arguing with him and stressing him out.

If he can get to State, he won't be bound by room dimensions, so it'll boil down to how aggressive he's willing to wind. If that happens, we know we can get over 50 feet/2'20" both ways, but IMO it's unlikely we'll get there. We have two 2000 boomilevers and a 12-16 second pingpong at 25 feet, but the gravity car isn't any good and a lot of the testing events are still just folks filling in (warm bodies) :( . We'll see; wish him luck, er, I mean, tell him not to rely on luck.

bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 » February 23rd, 2020, 3:27 pm

lechassin wrote:
February 23rd, 2020, 2:10 pm
Congratulations to all on your successes! Xiangyu, that video is not only a great time, it was aesthetically very pleasing to watch the plane carve the circles.

Our regionals is next Saturday, so we've done everything we can. Reliable for us is 1'35" each way. We can get upwards of 1'50" each way but only with a conscious decision to increase risks (wider radius, skimming rafters, aft CG/low decalage, aggressive winding). To get two minutes at 25 feet we need all of the above plus one or two hits.

The biggest problem we face is actually that Luke will not hesitate to take those risks. He won his invitationals with huge luck, and he seems stubbornly oblivious to that fact. I keep telling him to fly conservatively but in the end, it's his call. I don't go, to avoid arguing with him and stressing him out.

If he can get to State, he won't be bound by room dimensions, so it'll boil down to how aggressive he's willing to wind. If that happens, we know we can get over 50 feet/2'20" both ways, but IMO it's unlikely we'll get there. We have two 2000 boomilevers and a 12-16 second pingpong at 25 feet, but the gravity car isn't any good and a lot of the testing events are still just folks filling in (warm bodies) :( . We'll see; wish him luck, er, I mean, tell him not to rely on luck.
Eric,

I have also coached an occasional student In the past that leaned towards the aggressive approach. Can be pretty tense watching. Sometimes it works and sometimes it’s catastrophic. Thankfully, My groups this year are doing an excellent job of balancing aggressive with practical/conservative. Good luck to Luke.

Brian T

xiangyu

Post by xiangyu » February 23rd, 2020, 3:38 pm

lechassin wrote:
Thank you! Good luck at regional's! How many teams can qualify for state?

I was just about to buy the new propellers and found out that they're out of stock :shock: :shock: :shock: oooof. Anyone know how soon they may be back in stock? My regional's is in about 4 weeks.

RIP SO 2020

lechassin

Post by lechassin » February 23rd, 2020, 3:46 pm

xiangyu wrote:
February 23rd, 2020, 3:38 pm
Thank you! Good luck at regional's! How many teams can qualify for state?
I wanna say 11?

Brian, it's good to hear I'm not the only one dealing with that. Luke's my son but we're polar opposites in many ways, and I'm sure I drive him just as crazy as he drives me (except I'm the boss ;) ).

MadCow2357
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 » February 23rd, 2020, 8:09 pm

lechassin wrote:
two 2000 boomilevers
Impressive
MadCow2357's Userpage
2020 Events: Boomilever, Machines, Wright Stuff, and sadly not Gravity Vehicle
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
Andrew Yang for VP!
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

lechassin

Post by lechassin » February 24th, 2020, 4:45 am

Thanks, we have a large garbage bag of broken balsa and empty CA bottles to show for it. Our PPP isn't where it should be, but we did it at the last minute to compensate for poor effort elsewhere...

OpticsNerd
State: WI

Post by OpticsNerd » February 25th, 2020, 5:20 am

sigh...

Why is it always the Wright Stuff forum that gets heavily spammed?

Return to “Wright Stuff C”