Biplanes

FirstTigerHobbes
Division: C
State: ID
Has thanked: 0

Biplanes

Post by FirstTigerHobbes »

In the Wright Stuff rules this year they are allowing biplanes again. I have done flight events for Helicopters 2 years and Wright Stuff 1 year. I have been doing some research about biplanes lately but I still need more information on how they work and how to make them competitive enough for competition or if i shouldn't bother with them. This is what I know already
Pros
1. They don't require as much lift
2. They have a lower stalling speed.
3. They are more maneuverable.
4. When they have a positive stagger they move the center of pressure off the middle of the wings.(I'm just know that. Not what that helps)
Cons
1. They cause more drag
2. They are difficult enough that teams with lack of experience should not attempt at them.
Am I missing anything? and how do i use this knowledge to create a competitive Wright Stuff Plane?
klastyioer
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Biplanes

Post by klastyioer »

i would tend to disagree with cons #2, i dont think its too hard to try and i def dont think its not worth trying at all....
especially since the kits make it available to use with easy to follow instructions in the form of a video/packet its a tad easier on the builder
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
bjt4888
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 »

First,

I agree with K. Biplanes take a little more time to build but have the significant advantage of lower wing loading.

Stagger was used on full scale biplanes to improve visibility for the pilot. I suspect no aero benefit.

Brian T
FirstTigerHobbes
State: ID

Post by FirstTigerHobbes »

Stagger was used on full scale biplanes to improve visibility for the pilot. I suspect no aero benefit.

Yeah, i saw that mainly but in the research I did I also found out that it moves the center of pressure. However, I don't know what that would help with anything.
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

First,

Good job doing the research. Moving the center of pressure doesn’t create any Aero advantage. The same can be accomplished by slightly shifting both wings forward. One wing directly on top of the other is easier to build.

Keep up the research.

Brian T
jsegal
State: NC
Been thanked: 0

Post by jsegal »

Does anyone know the ideal spacing between the two front wings on a biplane?
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

jsegal wrote: January 27th, 2020, 3:59 pm Does anyone know the ideal spacing between the two front wings on a biplane?
Js,

Biplane wing spacing of double the wing chord would be desirable. However, this size structure may be difficult to build light enough and strong enough and may cause issues with ceiling hits.

Good question.

Brian T

Return to “Wright Stuff C”