New Score Sheet

coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

New Score Sheet

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Months ago I submitted a FAQ because of the confusing wording on when bonuses apply. I received a notice today that the "official score sheet has been corrected to reflect the proper applying of bonuses".

We have Regionals this weekend. Be sure that your ES is using the latest scoresheet (I would assume downloaded later than today).

In trying the scoresheet out, it appear that if you get all bonuses (including the reverse direction bonus), all bonuses apply to both flights. So if you score 100 seconds to the left, and 50 to the right, your score is 150. Then you get the 5% preflight bonus (7.5 extra points), and the 10% color panel bonus (15 points) for a total of 172.5 points.

This goes back to a discussion on page 40 of the Wright Stuff postings.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach

Re: New Score Sheet

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Well, they posted yet another new version today.

And it really seems broken!

If you enter the example I gave earlier (100 second first flight, 50 second second flight), get the dual direction bonus, then the prep bonus (3 minute bonus) ONLY applies tio the first (larger) flight, and you get 155 points.

However, if you reverse, and fly 50 seconds first, then 100 seconds, you get the 5% bonus applied to both flights, or 157.5 points.

Since SO did not reply to my FAQ other than to say they posted a new spreadsheet, it is not clear what is intended, so it is not clear what to tell the ES tomorrow at Regionals. Nor do I know what to do at State in 3 weeks, when I am co-ES.

Due to wording in the rule, it is unclear as to which flight(s) the preflight bonus applies. But I guess I need to have my team fly their shorter direction first!

Good luck!
Coach Chuck
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
xiangyu
Division: Grad
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by xiangyu »

Hmm, overall I'm pretty confused by this whole thing haha. I thought a couple of months ago when we looked at the scoresheet the bonus applied to both flights already? Did it not? I could've sworn that I entered in some numbers and did some math to confirm it...
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
bjt4888
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Post by bjt4888 »

Chuck,

I am hoping that they have an error in one of the spreadsheet formulas. I agree completely with your interpretation of scoring.

I am event supervisor in an upcoming event and will be scoring as you indicated with preflight 5% bonus applied to both flights as my read of Rule 5b. "...5% bonus will be added to the base score." is the same as your interpretation. The "base score" is the two flight times added together when achieving the clockwise and counter clockwise flying bonus. And, I agree with your reading, the 10% colored panel bonus applies to the 150 seconds also. Although the colored panel bonus is specific to the airplane being flown, if the same airplane flies both flights, of course, if it gets the colored panel bonus for the first flight it must also get the colored panel bonus for the second flight.

The only slightly tricky scoring item, sort of, is that deductions are to the "flight time". So, a team scoring 150 seconds in your example and getting both bonuses would score 172.5 and if they forgot their flight log (a 30% of flight time deduction), they would have 0.3*150=45 deducted from 172.5 for a total score of 127.5.

Good luck tomorrow,

Brian T
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Brian:

The original spreadsheet did exactly what you are saying. The preflight applied to both flights.

However, the latest modified spreadsheet appears to attempt to apply the preflight only to the longest flight, but fails if the longest flight is not the first flight.

So, "Base Score" is mentioned twice. First it says that the "Base Score" is the single longest flight. Then it says the Preflight is added to the Base Score. Therefore I think they have decided that this applies only to the longest flight.

The colored panel bonus applies to "flight time", and this is a per plane thing, so it appears that it is still applying to both flights if the reverse circle bonus is earned.

"Official Score" is only mentioned once, in the reversing bonus section.

Thus, the confusion. Had they answered my FAQ with an explanation of the way the bonuses were to be applied, one could verify the spreadsheet. However, the Current (V2) spreadsheet will apply it only to the longest flight if the longest flight is the first flight, but to both flights if the longest flight is second. This appears wrong no matter what!

Xi: Yes before yesterday, the spreadsheet clearly applied the preflight bonus to both flights. This has changed, but is not consistently applied.

Coach Chuck
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Ah... I remember spending some time thinking through this problem last year, but the adding of flights would throw that for a loop. I'll have to take a look at the scoresheet and rules more closely when I get a chance.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach

Post by coachchuckaahs »

I have been in communication within the SO Scoresheets developer, and have been helping to debug a v3 spreadsheet before it gets posted.

From this activity it is clear that the following application of the bonuses is intended:

1. Colored panel bonus applies to each flight in which the plane flown has the colored panel. Therefore, if the reversing bonus is earned, the 10% panel bonus applies to both flights
2. The Preflight bonus applies to the "base score", which is defined as the single longest official flight. Therefore, if the reversing bonus is earned, the preflight bonus only applies 5% to the longer of the two flights

This is my interpretation of the new spreadsheet as it is being debugged, and is also my interpretation of the intended change that was presented in v2 (but did not work properly). Of course, being my interpretation, it is not official. When the v3 sheet comes out, that will be official.

Coach Chuck
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach

Post by coachchuckaahs »

The V3 score sheet is now posted, and should fix the prior problems.

The bonuses are applied as follows:

1. Colored panel bonus applies to each flight in which the plane flown has the colored panel. Therefore, if the reversing bonus is earned, the 10% panel bonus applies to both flights
2. The Preflight bonus applies to the "base score", which is defined as the single longest official flight. Therefore, if the reversing bonus is earned, the preflight bonus only applies 5% to the longer of the two flights

Coach Chuck
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
CrayolaCrayon
Division: C
State: PA

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

coachchuckaahs wrote: February 10th, 2020, 11:17 am The V3 score sheet is now posted, and should fix the prior problems.

The bonuses are applied as follows:

Coach Chuck
So going both directions gives even a bigger boost!
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Yes. The colored panel applies to each flight. The Preflight only applies to the "base score".

Coach Chuck
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion

Return to “Wright Stuff C”