Torque

moonstar1222
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Torque

Post by moonstar1222 »

Around what torque is everyone flying at? I'm on .4 torque of FF's torque meter and can't seem to get the plane to climb. At higher torques, the plane just crashes into the ground at high speed even after changing the lift and center of gravity. I'm only able to achieve maximum 40 secs.
THHS Build Cap

2019-2020: Boomilever, Gravity, Detector, Wright
jinhusong
State: CA

Re: Torque

Post by jinhusong »

moonstar1222 wrote: February 9th, 2020, 6:04 pm Around what torque is everyone flying at? I'm on .4 torque of FF's torque meter and can't seem to get the plane to climb. At higher torques, the plane just crashes into the ground at high speed even after changing the lift and center of gravity. I'm only able to achieve maximum 40 secs.
Please give more details about your plane so that they or we can help you. Like, the weight and size of plane, weight and length of motor, rubber thickness, CG, angle of attack (in mm of difference between LE and TE of wing), bi-plane? Any modify of the prop pitch? Rudder, Shim to warp the wing?

Better, give a video of your flight.
bjt4888
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Torque

Post by bjt4888 »

jinhusong wrote: February 9th, 2020, 11:11 pm
moonstar1222 wrote: February 9th, 2020, 6:04 pm Around what torque is everyone flying at? I'm on .4 torque of FF's torque meter and can't seem to get the plane to climb. At higher torques, the plane just crashes into the ground at high speed even after changing the lift and center of gravity. I'm only able to achieve maximum 40 secs.
Please give more details about your plane so that they or we can help you. Like, the weight and size of plane, weight and length of motor, rubber thickness, CG, angle of attack (in mm of difference between LE and TE of wing), bi-plane? Any modify of the prop pitch? Rudder, Shim to warp the wing?

Better, give a video of your flight.
Moon,

Jinh's request for additional details is the type of information needed to evaluate your airplane/motor "system" to arrive at possible solutions. If you supply the information, he can give you good ideas for next steps.

One additional thing; it doesn't sound like you are using the standard backoff winding procedure. If you read the 2015 Wright Stuff "Winding" thread in the archive section of this forum (see the "Forums" level and scroll to the bottom to see archives of every year of every event), for very detailed explanations of proper winding technique. This is critical to success in the event. While you're at it, if you read the entire 2015 forum archive and a couple of the other years after this you will significantly advance your knowledge of the event and your results will greatly improve.

Myself and several other coaches and experienced students posted detailed information about the event. These archives read like a tutorial for the event. It only takes a couple of hours to read an entire year of archive.

Good luck and have fun,

Brian T

Return to “Wright Stuff C”