Propeller Design

Bitconnect
Division: C
State: NH
Has thanked: 0

Propeller Design

Post by Bitconnect »

Does anyone know why the ikara propellers have a 8mm "gap" between the start of the blade and the central piano wire axis? Wouldnt it be better to start the blade as close to the center point of the propeller as possible to maximize the blade area? I'm making a propeller and I'm not sure whether to keep a gap or just glue the blade flush with the center.
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Re: Propeller Design

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Bitconnect wrote: February 29th, 2020, 7:53 am Does anyone know why the ikara propellers have a 8mm "gap" between the start of the blade and the central piano wire axis? Wouldnt it be better to start the blade as close to the center point of the propeller as possible to maximize the blade area? I'm making a propeller and I'm not sure whether to keep a gap or just glue the blade flush with the center.
If the blade goes to the wire shaft, and it true pitch, it will be "vertical" at the center, and will not be very effective area. If less than 90 degrees at the middle, it is drag. Most props will have some gap between the blade and the center shaft because this area is not effective.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records

Return to “Wright Stuff C”