Rubber

FirstTigerHobbes
Division: C
State: ID
Has thanked: 0

Rubber

Post by FirstTigerHobbes »

Up till about a year ago, me and my partner would just wind the rubber to the winds we wanted it. Recently, we have also been comparing torque with a home built torque meter. However, as I have been reading these forums there is so much more we could be doing to optimize our rubber but I don't have the time to go through all the old forums to find info on rubber. So I am asking the people here who know more about this than I do to please put as much information on winding, optimizing, and other technical information on rubber, here.

Right now we are lubing the rubber with Armor All, is there and lengths of time and amounts I should take into account?
When we are winding we do stretch the rubber about 2-3 times its length and then winding it, while slowly walking in, to the torque we need. Should any of that be improved in some way?
We currently store the rubber in plastic snack bags. I heard that rubber can be degraded by plastic bags, should I change how it is contained?
I saw on the main thread about graphing the torque and winds of some batches of rubber. How does that work?
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Re: Rubber

Post by coachchuckaahs »

While there is a vast wealth of information on rubber winding in the archived forums, the key aspects have been covered in sufficient detail this year in the main thread of this forum. As coach Brian has pointed out, it takes about an hour to read the entire forum from this year, and it is very worthwhile. There are many posts on getting the most out of your winding.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records

Return to “Wright Stuff C”