Tweaks for 2021

OpticsNerd
Division: C
State: WI
Has thanked: 0

Tweaks for 2021

Post by OpticsNerd »

What do you all think should be tweaked for the rule replay next season?
CrayolaCrayon
State: PA

Re: Tweaks for 2021

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

Increased stab area, potentially larger prop.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
Dreamz
Division: Grad
State: OH
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dreamz »

IMO only increased stab area is needed to make planes easier to trim. Would be interesting if they gave us the option of a "biplane" stab config with the current dimensions.
Even though it's a pain to work with, I think a larger prop would just make times longer, which is the exact opposite of what the rules committee wants. Would be nice to have though :)
bjt4888
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 »

I agree that the most important change would be to increase stab size to around 37-40% of wing area. This one change would make the airplane trimmable. And, yes, the very small propeller was going a bit too far, in my opinion. With a prop spinning at around 2,400 rpm, many teams found that prop damage was a pretty discouraging regular occurrence.

My preference though would be for a completely new set of rules. Most of the significant challenges have been solved for this years rules (I know that it is still hard to execute without error even if you have solved). If SO wants to try something different, they might consider a much lighter airplane with a very limited rubber motor weight. Students have had this experience with the 3.0 gram helicopter from a few years ago and I think they would enjoy something like this for WS. Also, as this would be new territory, lots of room for analysis and testing.

Brian T
OpticsNerd
State: WI

Post by OpticsNerd »

bjt4888 wrote: March 20th, 2020, 5:11 pm I agree that the most important change would be to increase stab size to around 37-40% of wing area. This one change would make the airplane trimmable. And, yes, the very small propeller was going a bit too far, in my opinion. With a prop spinning at around 2,400 rpm, many teams found that prop damage was a pretty discouraging regular occurrence.

My preference though would be for a completely new set of rules. Most of the significant challenges have been solved for this years rules (I know that it is still hard to execute without error even if you have solved). If SO wants to try something different, they might consider a much lighter airplane with a very limited rubber motor weight. Students have had this experience with the 3.0 gram helicopter from a few years ago and I think they would enjoy something like this for WS. Also, as this would be new territory, lots of room for analysis and testing.

Brian T
I pretty much fully agree with everything you said.

But just to clarify, does 37-40% assume a monoplane? If that's for a biplane I think it might be somewhat excessive if the point of the biplane is to be a challenge. Although even if it was for a monoplane, it'd still be significantly better than it was this season(biplane stabs were 15% this year I think).

As for the propeller, having the propeller break so many times was pretty annoying to say the least. We had to buy so many propellers just to replace the broken ones. I'd think that increasing the max diameter from 8 to 10 cm would make a big difference.

Your idea of a very light airplane with very limited motor mass sounds very interesting. Two years ago when I started WS the motor mass limit made the check-in take too long IMO, and that combined with other factors got me late for my next event at a competition. I'd still be fine with going back to a rubber mass limit, however, and I do think it's an idea worth trying.
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

Yes, 37-40% of the monoplane wing area for a reasonable stab area.

I agree that a motor weight limit is a bit more challenging for event scheduling. I would challenge the event supervisors (me included) to come up with methods and tools to process motors quickly. The best idea I’ve seen is a simple balance scale with the balance arm mounted on a tallish post (around 24” tall) and with a hook at the end of the balance beam to hang the motor on. The balance scale is set to the allowed motor weight and a legal motor brings the “pointer” to the center of the scale readout (or, short of center). Motors (and airplanes) can be weighed very quickly with this setup. The longtime flying event supervisor for the Michigan States built a scale like this and it works great.

Brian T
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Brian: How about they do something like the Scraps plane (living room flyer size), but limit the rubber? Could be fun! Half a gram is not hard to reach, but could make min weight 3/4 gram?

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

I feel that a cool tweak for next year is to be able to use 2 props, but I feel that this would add to large of an aspect to the plane. Thoughts?
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

coachchuckaahs wrote: March 21st, 2020, 10:09 am Brian: How about they do something like the Scraps plane (living room flyer size), but limit the rubber? Could be fun! Half a gram is not hard to reach, but could make min weight 3/4 gram?

Coach Chuck
Chuck,

That would be fun. Model boxes would smaller and cheaper too.

Brian T
xiangyu
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by xiangyu »

bjt4888 wrote: March 21st, 2020, 6:25 pm
coachchuckaahs wrote: March 21st, 2020, 10:09 am Brian: How about they do something like the Scraps plane (living room flyer size), but limit the rubber? Could be fun! Half a gram is not hard to reach, but could make min weight 3/4 gram?

Coach Chuck
Chuck,

That would be fun. Model boxes would smaller and cheaper too.

Brian T
I gotta say, this plane is really hard to trim and hard to fly for me. :P Also, I think it's really hard for most students to build to weight + make the prop from scratch.

On another note, is there any way to cut down rubber width without a rubber stripper? I'm trying to fly my scrap but the smallest size I have is 0.058 and the plane is torque rolling. I think I just need a smaller size rubber to prevent that...

Xiangyu
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu

Return to “Wright Stuff C”