Machines B/C

GurtYo
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Machines B/C

Post by GurtYo »

Are you allowed to bring a ruler to use when calculating your ratios? According to rule 2b, you can bring "tools". Does this include a ruler?
“Life is short.
Smile while you still have teeth.”

― Mallory Hopkins
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CPScienceDude »

GurtYo wrote: December 1st, 2019, 8:00 am Are you allowed to bring a ruler to use when calculating your ratios? According to rule 2b, you can bring "tools". Does this include a ruler?
I wouldn't see why a ruler would not be included. Though I made the arms of my lever out of a cut-up yardstick, so I get to bypass having a ruler
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

How accurate are winning devices expected to be at this time in the year?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

shrewdPanther46 wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 3:40 pm How accurate are winning devices expected to be at this time in the year?
Accurate enough that the differences in accuracy at the top is negligible.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
bergerbaby
State: IL

Post by bergerbaby »

Question: For division B, incline planes, do you think for Div B they will ask the students to find Incline Planes with Friction, it seems that it involves some trigonometry and not sure we have had that yet?
Creationist127
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Creationist127 »

bergerbaby wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 6:31 pm Question: For division B, incline planes, do you think for Div B they will ask the students to find Incline Planes with Friction, it seems that it involves some trigonometry and not sure we have had that yet?
Probably not--the only mention of friction in the rules is under Division C Only.
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines
2021: Circuit Lab, Machines, WIDI, anything but Wright Stuff

Can I request that we delete 2020 from our memories and do it over again?
Epicbanna4
State: MN

Post by Epicbanna4 »

Hi all who see this; I have a rule question. Rule 3e. states, "Participants must not bring masses or include them in devices except when fixed in place prior to impound to obtain static equilibrium" I realize that this means counterweights must be fixed in place; however, what is the official definition of fixed in place? Does that mean IMPOSSIBLE to remove, or HARD to remove, or what? Because my counterweight isn't permanently there-it can be moved but takes a nominal-ish amount of force.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Epicbanna4 wrote: December 5th, 2019, 1:53 pm Hi all who see this; I have a rule question. Rule 3e. states, "Participants must not bring masses or include them in devices except when fixed in place prior to impound to obtain static equilibrium" I realize that this means counterweights must be fixed in place; however, what is the official definition of fixed in place? Does that mean IMPOSSIBLE to remove, or HARD to remove, or what? Because my counterweight isn't permanently there-it can be moved but takes a nominal-ish amount of force.
"Fixed in place" would mean to me that, by design, it does not move for the duration of the day of competition. You must not in any sense attempt to use it as adjustable. Somehting that is screwed together is "fixed in place" even though you can unscrew it. Something that is held in place only with a finger-tight screw clamp that you could easily adjust during the event is not fixed in place.
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

knightmoves wrote:
Epicbanna4 wrote: December 5th, 2019, 1:53 pm Hi all who see this; I have a rule question. Rule 3e. states, "Participants must not bring masses or include them in devices except when fixed in place prior to impound to obtain static equilibrium" I realize that this means counterweights must be fixed in place; however, what is the official definition of fixed in place? Does that mean IMPOSSIBLE to remove, or HARD to remove, or what? Because my counterweight isn't permanently there-it can be moved but takes a nominal-ish amount of force.
"Fixed in place" would mean to me that, by design, it does not move for the duration of the day of competition. You must not in any sense attempt to use it as adjustable. Somehting that is screwed together is "fixed in place" even though you can unscrew it. Something that is held in place only with a finger-tight screw clamp that you could easily adjust during the event is not fixed in place.
for more sensitive devices wouldnt this be a problem? I would imagine some people would have devices that are sensitive and need to adjust it during the setup period. That rule doesnt make sense to me.
vyang328
State: NY

Post by vyang328 »

I have a question regarding what a class 2 lever should look like of Div C. My partner and I didn't really think things through before making building our device and both of our beams have the fulcrum in the middle of the beam. I acknowledge that this wasn't a smart design but oh well, still have regionals to improve it.

One of them is a class one with the weights being hanged on the left and a string connected to the beam on the right.
For the other beam, the fulcrum is in the middle of the beam but we plan on putting the weight between where the beams are connected on the end and the fulcrum (aka resistance between effort and fulcrum).

Does this still count as a class 2 lever? Most pictures of class 2/3s have the fulcrums all the way at the end of beam so I'm worried we might get put into tier 2 immediately at impound.

Return to “Machines B/C”