Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Machines B/C

Post by CPScienceDude »

as1092 wrote: February 20th, 2020, 7:04 pm
Vortexx2 wrote: February 11th, 2020, 7:50 am
Unome wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 1:20 pm

The scoring formula weights time more heavily this year iirc. I would not expect more than exceptional teams to be below 30 seconds in B and 40 seconds in C (with effectively perfect ratio scores of course).
I would have to disagree. I do it in around 40 seconds but thats also me going pretty slow. I could definitely see teams getting sub 30 seconds (div c) and still getting perfect ratio scores.
Is your machine built to have one mass fixed permanently? Because my design right now has a fixed place for the lighter mass, but I think it would be more efficient to have mass B fixed permanently, so I take on average 1:30 for time, with 29+ ratio score. Any help would be appreciated. Like how did you build your device bc 40 seconds seems close to impossible for me.
I can't vouch for vortexx, but I also get around 30ish sec and near-perfect ratio scores (~14.7/15 for each). I hang mass A on a fixed point, then move mass B to find the point where it's in equilibrium. Then take A off and put B on the fixed point and put C onto the lever and find equilibrium. See Here
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
GurtYo
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by GurtYo »

Hi! This might be a dumb question, but in rule 3a it says:
The device must be a class 1 lever with a single beam no longer than 80.0 cm.

I used a meter stick as my lever, and that is 100cm, so do I have to cut 20 cm off?
“Life is short.
Smile while you still have teeth.”

― Mallory Hopkins
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

GurtYo wrote: February 20th, 2020, 8:34 pm Hi! This might be a dumb question, but in rule 3a it says:
The device must be a class 1 lever with a single beam no longer than 80.0 cm.

I used a meter stick as my lever, and that is 100cm, so do I have to cut 20 cm off?
Yes
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
as1092

Post by as1092 »

CPScienceDude wrote: February 20th, 2020, 7:31 pm
Vortexx2 wrote: February 11th, 2020, 7:50 am

I would have to disagree. I do it in around 40 seconds but thats also me going pretty slow. I could definitely see teams getting sub 30 seconds (div c) and still getting perfect ratio scores.
Is your machine built to have one mass fixed permanently? Because my design right now has a fixed place for the lighter mass, but I think it would be more efficient to have mass B fixed permanently, so I take on average 1:30 for time, with 29+ ratio score. Any help would be appreciated. Like how did you build your device bc 40 seconds seems close to impossible for me.
I can't vouch for vortexx, but I also get around 30ish sec and near-perfect ratio scores (~14.7/15 for each). I hang mass A on a fixed point, then move mass B to find the point where it's in equilibrium. Then take A off and put B on the fixed point and put C onto the lever and find equilibrium. See Here
The video shows that one mass does not get replaced at all (i'm assuming it's mass B since you have to do A:B and B:C). How do you get 30 seconds while moving all 3 masses?
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CPScienceDude »

as1092 wrote: February 21st, 2020, 12:15 pm
CPScienceDude wrote: February 20th, 2020, 7:31 pm

The video shows that one mass does not get replaced at all (i'm assuming it's mass B since you have to do A:B and B:C). How do you get 30 seconds while moving all 3 masses?
Oops, bad example. But a similar idea. Ig I'm just fast? I have my partner calculate the ratios. So maybe that helps.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

For those wanting an example graph, here's a link to one: https://www.sciencenc.com/wp-content/up ... -Graph.pdf

Note the disclaimers -- if your local ES has different interpretations of the rules, then I can't help you. :( The rules are unfortunately vague, especially 5.e.i.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
GurtYo
Division: B
State: IL

Post by GurtYo »

Hi! My partner and I aren't sure how to solve this kind of problem:
What effort force is required in order to keep the system in equilibrium. Assume that the system is ideal.
“Life is short.
Smile while you still have teeth.”

― Mallory Hopkins
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CPScienceDude »

GurtYo wrote: February 28th, 2020, 12:18 pm Hi! My partner and I aren't sure how to solve this kind of problem:
What effort force is required in order to keep the system in equilibrium. Assume that the system is ideal.
You would have to find the amount of force the load exerts on the system, then divide that by the system's IMA.

Ex: There is a mass of 10.0 kg hanging off of one end of a class 1 lever. The side the mass is hanging on is 1.0m long from the fulcrum and the other arm is 4.0m long.

1. Multiply 10 x 9.8 to get the force it exerts. =98N
2. Find the IMA of the lever: 4/1 = 4.0
3. Divide the force by the IMA: 98N/4 = 24.5N (25 with SD's)
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

Come on people we need to add to the best of 2020

Best of 2020

If you guys don't know how to add to the WIki, share me the photo privately, and I can add it on. :D
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
Creationist127

Post by Creationist127 »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 10:45 am Come on people we need to add to the best of 2020

Best of 2020

If you guys don't know how to add to the WIki, share me the photo privately, and I can add it on. :D
I'd love to add, but my machine is locked up at school... plus I don't think it qualifies as best...
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines
2021: Circuit Lab, Machines, WIDI, anything but Wright Stuff

Can I request that we delete 2020 from our memories and do it over again?

Return to “Machines B/C”