Division B - Hang Two Weights at a Time or Three

ChiMom
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Division B - Hang Two Weights at a Time or Three

Post by ChiMom » December 3rd, 2019, 7:15 pm

I am hoping this is a simple question. Reading the rules, it appears to me that students will be handed three weights (ABC) but I cannot tell whether they can use two at a time or have to use all three at the same time. Meaning - will all three weights have to be on the lever for the entire timed portion or can they put A and B on the lever, determine the ratio and then change to B and C? Thank you!

Umaroth
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Pretend hugging SIlverBreeze because social distancing

Re: Division B - Hang Two Weights at a Time or Three

Post by Umaroth » December 3rd, 2019, 8:18 pm

ChiMom wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 7:15 pm
I am hoping this is a simple question. Reading the rules, it appears to me that students will be handed three weights (ABC) but I cannot tell whether they can use two at a time or have to use all three at the same time. Meaning - will all three weights have to be on the lever for the entire timed portion or can they put A and B on the lever, determine the ratio and then change to B and C? Thank you!
Yes, there is no requirement to do all three at a time. Most teams measure A/B and B/C separately.
Troy SciOly 2019-now
The Ambassador

Proud Kraemer SciOly Padre 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Kraemer SciOly Pretty-Much Head Coach 2019-now
2020 Tryouts: Circuit, Code, Detector, DP, GeoMaps, Machines
States Events: HANDS ON DISEASE DETECTIVES

Umaroth's Userpage

VansBuilders
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by VansBuilders » December 17th, 2019, 9:43 am

During the competition, are the unknown weights going to be Ball Bearings or solid single weights? If I use a simple container to hold the weights, they need to be centered or distributed uniformly. I did a trial with single solid weights and as they moved around the container, they affected the balancing.
Are you allowed to use any kind of glue or putty to make the sold weight stay in the center? If it is Ball Bearings, they are balance fine.
Any clarification as to what to expect on the day of the event?

Thank you.

knightmoves

Post by knightmoves » December 17th, 2019, 11:05 am

Rule 2c: Each mass provided by the ES will have a flexible loop (zip ties, string, fishing line etc.) large enough to pass a standard golf ball through tied to the top. The masses, including the fully stretched loop, must fit within a 15.0 x 15.0 x 20.0 cm box.

There are no other constraints on the construction of the masses - an ES may do whatever he prefers. Your device must cope with whatever turns up.

Return to “Machines B/C”