Clarify "fixed in place" in the rules for Machines C

vandjac
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Clarify "fixed in place" in the rules for Machines C

Post by vandjac »

The rules say that participants must not bring masses unless fixed in place on the machine. Would taping a mass be considered fixed in place? My interpretation is that as long as that mass doesn't move at all, it would be fixed in place, but I'm not sure.
imaditi
Division: C
State: FL

Re: Clarify "fixed in place" in the rules for Machines C

Post by imaditi »

vandjac wrote: December 7th, 2019, 1:05 pm The rules say that participants must not bring masses unless fixed in place on the machine. Would taping a mass be considered fixed in place? My interpretation is that as long as that mass doesn't move at all, it would be fixed in place, but I'm not sure.
I believe "a fixed in place mass" means it is not moved during the competition.
So as long as the mass that is taped down is not moved during the competition or tampered with while the device is being tested that should be alright.

For example, initially the machine we built would not stay in equilibrium, to manually place it in equilibrium we fixed a mass in place to keep it in equilibrium (the mass was not touched at all during the competition was just sitting there). That was allowed by the supervisors at invitationals that we have attended.
Orlando Science High School '23

imaditi's userpage
2017: Optics, Wind Power, Anatomy
2018: Optics, Rocks & Minerals, Battery Buggy
2019: Game On, Battery Buggy, Herp, Mystery
2020: Circuit, Machines, Detector, Code

Return to “Machines B/C”