Marking the Beams

Post Reply
User avatar
MoMoney$$$;)0)
Member
Member
Posts: 139
Joined: January 14th, 2019, 6:38 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Marking the Beams

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) » January 2nd, 2020, 5:26 pm

Hello. So while I was designing/prototyping my lever I was wondering how you guys figure out the marking on each side of the lever (which you use for the calculation of the ratio's). Thank you.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling


2019-2020 Medal Count: 5

"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do"

shrewdPanther46
Member
Member
Posts: 437
Joined: October 9th, 2017, 6:25 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Marking the Beams

Post by shrewdPanther46 » January 2nd, 2020, 5:51 pm

just choose something and make sure you can cover the entire range of mass ratios

User avatar
MoMoney$$$;)0)
Member
Member
Posts: 139
Joined: January 14th, 2019, 6:38 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Marking the Beams

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) » January 2nd, 2020, 5:58 pm

shrewdPanther46 wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 5:51 pm
just choose something and make sure you can cover the entire range of mass ratios
Can you please be a bit more specific on the "something". Thanks.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling


2019-2020 Medal Count: 5

"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do"

shrewdPanther46
Member
Member
Posts: 437
Joined: October 9th, 2017, 6:25 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Marking the Beams

Post by shrewdPanther46 » January 2nd, 2020, 6:27 pm

yea sure. I said "something" intentionally, Im basically saying you can arbitrarily use any setup for the entire lever system, as long as you mathematically can reach equilibrium at any of the possible mass ratios (with some buffer to be safe)

User avatar
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 312
Joined: December 12th, 2018, 2:40 pm
Division: C
State: IN
Location: Crown Point High School
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Marking the Beams

Post by CPScienceDude » January 21st, 2020, 10:05 am

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 5:26 pm
Hello. So while I was designing/prototyping my lever I was wondering how you guys figure out the marking on each side of the lever (which you use for the calculation of the ratio's). Thank you.
I made a paper ruler and taped it onto the lever arm, were 0 cm is where the fulcrum connects through the lever
Captain of CPSO
2020 events: Ornithology, Machines, Gravity Vehicle, and Forensics

Northridge/Regs/State
4n6: 10/1/x
GV: 1/2/x
Mach: 4/1/x
Orni: 4/2/x

Assassination 139: Summer Vacation
About Me!
Image

User avatar
Creationist127
Member
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: August 14th, 2018, 3:21 pm
Division: C
State: IN
Location: Nowhere near a SciOly tournament
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Marking the Beams

Post by Creationist127 » January 21st, 2020, 10:26 am

CPScienceDude wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 10:05 am
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 5:26 pm
Hello. So while I was designing/prototyping my lever I was wondering how you guys figure out the marking on each side of the lever (which you use for the calculation of the ratio's). Thank you.
I made a paper ruler and taped it onto the lever arm, were 0 cm is where the fulcrum connects through the lever
I and others I know made our levers directly out of meter sticks, so marking them is covered already.
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines
2021: Circuit Lab, Machines, WIDI, Wright Stuff

2021 grind starts now... and no excuses about not knowing the rules yet!

User avatar
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 312
Joined: December 12th, 2018, 2:40 pm
Division: C
State: IN
Location: Crown Point High School
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Marking the Beams

Post by CPScienceDude » January 21st, 2020, 10:28 am

Creationist127 wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 10:26 am
CPScienceDude wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 10:05 am
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 5:26 pm
Hello. So while I was designing/prototyping my lever I was wondering how you guys figure out the marking on each side of the lever (which you use for the calculation of the ratio's). Thank you.
I made a paper ruler and taped it onto the lever arm, were 0 cm is where the fulcrum connects through the lever
I and others I know made our levers directly out of meter sticks, so marking them is covered already.
Well I tried to do that, but I installed it backward (don’t ask how lol, idk)
Captain of CPSO
2020 events: Ornithology, Machines, Gravity Vehicle, and Forensics

Northridge/Regs/State
4n6: 10/1/x
GV: 1/2/x
Mach: 4/1/x
Orni: 4/2/x

Assassination 139: Summer Vacation
About Me!
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Machines B/C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest