Rules Clarification on the Charts/Graphs

thehuntfornedoctober
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rules Clarification on the Charts/Graphs

Post by thehuntfornedoctober »

Does anyone know if the data in the charts must be from the machine that you use in its exact form? I've cut down one of my beams, so can I turn in old data or do I have to record completely new data since adjusting the beam lengths?
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Re: Rules Clarification on the Charts/Graphs

Post by MadCow2357 »

thehuntfornedoctober wrote: February 27th, 2020, 2:56 pm Does anyone know if the data in the charts must be from the machine that you use in its exact form? I've cut down one of my beams, so can I turn in old data or do I have to record completely new data since adjusting the beam lengths?
IMO the only reason to do this is for personal benefit. I'm pretty sure many teams bring BS graphs and data to competitions and get full points for them anyway, so having old data is obviously going to be better than BS data. I don't see a reason to bring old data that is useless, but I don't think you need to worry about the data not being accepted if you do submit it.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CPScienceDude »

MadCow2357 wrote: February 27th, 2020, 3:21 pm
thehuntfornedoctober wrote: February 27th, 2020, 2:56 pm Does anyone know if the data in the charts must be from the machine that you use in its exact form? I've cut down one of my beams, so can I turn in old data or do I have to record completely new data since adjusting the beam lengths?
IMO the only reason to do this is for personal benefit. I'm pretty sure many teams bring BS graphs and data to competitions and get full points for them anyway, so having old data is obviously going to be better than BS data. I don't see a reason to bring old data that is useless, but I don't think you need to worry about the data not being accepted if you do submit it.
I agree with madcow. If you don't need the charts/graphs/other data, then there's really no point in making new ones.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
waterboy
Division: B
State: IN

Post by waterboy »

CPScienceDude wrote: February 27th, 2020, 3:29 pm
MadCow2357 wrote: February 27th, 2020, 3:21 pm
I agree with madcow. If you don't need the charts/graphs/other data, then there's really no point in making new ones.
I agree also. I think that in the rules they tried to make it so you use your charts/graphs/tables during the competition, but most people still use calculations to figure out the ratios and don't even pay attention to their charts/graphs/tables.
Circuit Lab, Density Lab, Machines, Mission Possible :geek: :geek:
Robot2020
Division: B
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by Robot2020 »

Hi

I am in Division B doing Simple Machines.
Regarding graph, is this something we can do at home after we build the lever to check our Class 1 lever for equilibrium and submit those graphs to the supervisor at the time of event? I know up to 3 graphs are required.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Robot2020

Return to “Machines B/C”