Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Machines C 2020-2021

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

RiverWalker88 wrote: April 9th, 2020, 7:07 pm
Umaroth wrote: March 17th, 2020, 7:43 pm
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 17th, 2020, 12:12 pm

Under criticism of the rules, they pretty clearly said what's required on each graph. I don't recollect on the top of my head what they are, but I remember I got full graph points every time for my machine.
The ambiguity also means that proctors could mark you off simply because you interpret it differently than you
At our regional, the proctor thought that we had to have graphs and tables, not graphs or tables.

At state, the proctor thought that spanning the mass range meant that the data had to go beyond what is allowed at competition (i.e. 19 grams to 801 grams). She also thought that 4 charts meant 4 columns.

That doesn't even go into trying to figure out what data is supposed to go on the chart. It took me forever to decide what the chart would be on because they don't tell you what your variables are supposed to be like in other events. They just say to come with charts, and outline how they want the charts done. More clear chart score guidelines next year would be nice. Although, by following the guidelines, we did manage to earn full points every time, it just took a little bit of pointing out what the rules said and explaining our interpretation.
I feel that this is partially true, but the only thing I can say in triple, maybe even quadruple times read to the rules to make sure you understand what you're getting into before making a build, or taking a tests, even before your first practice; to fully grasp what's expected of you.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
jaggie34
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by jaggie34 »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 17th, 2020, 9:34 am
I was wondering if there is any anticipation for next year's event, since under the current statement by Scioly; the event rules will remain the same. What are your thoughts and feeling on next year's Machine tests and lab aspect with the same rules?
I can't say for certain, but I believe the build will stay the same while the test will have new topics added. If anyone has suggestions on how they think the test can change, it can't hurt to add them in this thread.
Boca Raton High School -> Georgia Tech
It's About Time writer/co-writer: Golden Gate, Georgia States
Ping Pong Parachute co-ES: MIT
Florida Game On C and Fermi Questions C champion!
and Circuit Lab too I guess
RiverWalker88
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NM

Post by RiverWalker88 »

Just as a random thought, it would be interesting if you had to construct a machine during the event to accomplish a goal set by the supervisor (for example, moving an effort force 30cm to move a resistance force 45 cm, or something like that). It's not all that plausible to actually add to the event, but would be (probably?) a fun addition.
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology '26, Physics
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN

Post by CPScienceDude »

RiverWalker88 wrote: April 28th, 2020, 4:12 pm Just as a random thought, it would be interesting if you had to construct a machine during the event to accomplish a goal set by the supervisor (for example, moving an effort force 30cm to move a resistance force 45 cm, or something like that). It's not all that plausible to actually add to the event, but would be (probably?) a fun addition.
that would be really fun.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
MoMoney$$$;)0)
Division: C
State: OH

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

CPScienceDude wrote: April 28th, 2020, 7:35 pm
RiverWalker88 wrote: April 28th, 2020, 4:12 pm Just as a random thought, it would be interesting if you had to construct a machine during the event to accomplish a goal set by the supervisor (for example, moving an effort force 30cm to move a resistance force 45 cm, or something like that). It's not all that plausible to actually add to the event, but would be (probably?) a fun addition.
that would be really fun.
I agree, however there would need to be set parameters of the types of machines allowed to be constructed, since it would be like Mystery Architecture but Machines version. Definitely adding a fun concept into the event, and might even help to spread out the scores a little bit.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult

Return to “Machines B/C”