Protein Modeling C

MacintoshJosh
Division: C
State: VA

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by MacintoshJosh »

Have any of you found out how to calculate disulfide bonds? Typing "ssbonds on", "calculate ssbonds", "calculate disulfide bonds" or any other variation doesn't seem to work for me. I've just been looking at the amounts of Cysteines but that definitely isn't the best way.
Chameleon02
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Chameleon02 »

also how do I find the amount of total hbonds in the total molecule. I have been using a wierd roundabout way to solve it.
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
2020 Events: Boomilever, Wright Stuff, Protein, Chem lab, Gravvy
The Air Trajectory nostalgia hits hard
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by pb5754 »

Chameleon02 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 8:24 pm also how do I find the amount of total hbonds in the total molecule. I have been using a wierd roundabout way to solve it.
calculate hbonds?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
Chameleon02

Post by Chameleon02 »

pb5754[] wrote: February 6th, 2020, 8:27 pm
Chameleon02 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 8:24 pm also how do I find the amount of total hbonds in the total molecule. I have been using a wierd roundabout way to solve it.
calculate hbonds?
Lol I must have tried that before, I'll see it again tmrw. Also, (1) does anyone know how to calculate the X, Y, Z coordinates of an amino acid? And (2) how do you calculate how many struts can be added to the entire protein structure? Thanks! And I'm sorry for spamming questions, I have a competition next weekend :P
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
2020 Events: Boomilever, Wright Stuff, Protein, Chem lab, Gravvy
The Air Trajectory nostalgia hits hard
itsDerk
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by itsDerk »

Chameleon02 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 8:33 pm
pb5754[] wrote: February 6th, 2020, 8:27 pm
calculate hbonds?
Lol I must have tried that before, I'll see it again tmrw. Also, (1) does anyone know how to calculate the X, Y, Z coordinates of an amino acid? And (2) how do you calculate how many struts can be added to the entire protein structure? Thanks! And I'm sorry for spamming questions, I have a competition next weekend :P
You should be able to get the x, y, z coordinates of an AA just by clicking on it. (It will show up in console at least in the standalone jmol program, it's a bit weirder with the in-browser version bc sometimes it just doesn't want to show up).

For the total structs, if you have everything selected you can just run "calculate struts" and the console should tell you.

Good luck at your competition next weekend.
Solon High School Captain '20
UChicago '24
sciencegirl03

Post by sciencegirl03 »

Does anyone know how to display ions in Jmol? For example the central zinc atom in APOBEC3A? I came across a question on a test that asked the distance between the central iron atom and a proximal histidine at residue 93 in protein 1mbn.pdb. I tried commands such as select iron and select _fe and display _fe, but nothing is actually showing the ion. Thanks in advance!
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

2019 Nationals:
Wright Stuff: 3rd
Protein Modeling: 4th
Geologic Mapping: 5th
exla23
State: FL

Post by exla23 »

sciencegirl03 wrote: February 10th, 2020, 7:56 pm Does anyone know how to display ions in Jmol? For example the central zinc atom in APOBEC3A? I came across a question on a test that asked the distance between the central iron atom and a proximal histidine at residue 93 in protein 1mbn.pdb. I tried commands such as select iron and select _fe and display _fe, but nothing is actually showing the ion. Thanks in advance!
One thing you could do is select the ion (I often use select ligands but select _fe and similar commands should also work) and then use the spacefill command to show it.
Boca Raton Community High School
Chemistry Lab, Experimental Design, Forensics, Protein Modeling
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

exla23 wrote: February 10th, 2020, 8:01 pm
sciencegirl03 wrote: February 10th, 2020, 7:56 pm Does anyone know how to display ions in Jmol? For example the central zinc atom in APOBEC3A? I came across a question on a test that asked the distance between the central iron atom and a proximal histidine at residue 93 in protein 1mbn.pdb. I tried commands such as select iron and select _fe and display _fe, but nothing is actually showing the ion. Thanks in advance!
One thing you could do is select the ion (I often use select ligands but select _fe and similar commands should also work) and then use the spacefill command to show it.
yes, the spacefill command is the only thing you were missing. then, double click on the ion to use the measure tool.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
sciencegirl03

Post by sciencegirl03 »

CookiePie1 wrote: February 10th, 2020, 8:05 pm
exla23 wrote: February 10th, 2020, 8:01 pm
yes, the spacefill command is the only thing you were missing. then, double click on the ion to use the measure tool.
Wow thanks guys! I can see the ion now :)
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

2019 Nationals:
Wright Stuff: 3rd
Protein Modeling: 4th
Geologic Mapping: 5th
unknownuser2

Post by unknownuser2 »

Hi all,

My regional doesn't run protein modeling, so I'm in the midst of getting ready for the state-level as my first go around this year. Last year in NYS, the ES's used Jsmol to do the onsite build, is it likely that the visualization part of the test will also be in Jsmol as well, or should I expect them to switch over to Jmol for this year.

Doubt anyone has explicit answers, however any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Protein Modeling C”