CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by CookiePie1 »

Tejas wrote: February 26th, 2020, 12:13 pmThanks Cookie!
happy to help! :)
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
eagerlearner102
Been thanked: 0

Post by eagerlearner102 »

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I didn't do any invitationals so I have no idea what the tests are like.
Is it safe to assume that the Jmol exploration will test proteins that are related to what we are learning (CRISPR)?
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

eagerlearner102 wrote: February 26th, 2020, 6:38 pm Sorry to ask so many questions, but I didn't do any invitationals so I have no idea what the tests are like.
Is it safe to assume that the Jmol exploration will test proteins that are related to what we are learning (CRISPR)?
hm, it could be totally random, but I feel like it would depend on again, who's writing the test. I've seen some tests with stuff related to BE like UGI and stuff like that. However, I have also seen random proteins that you might learn about in a bio class (membrane proteins, ATP synthases, etc).
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Jehosaphat
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by Jehosaphat »

Does anybody have a new rubric for grading this year's pre-build? Or are we still going based on the assumption that proctors will be grading based off of the 2011 rubric? Our team got their results from an invitational last weekend and they just gave them point total. Any ideas?
Waiting for the return of Ecology all by myself
HHS '22
Hope '26
Alphatica
State: CT
Has thanked: 0

Post by Alphatica »

I was having some trouble with understanding the format of folding the secondary structures for the pre-build. Some of my teammates are telling me to fold the beta plated sheets every three amino acids, while others are saying every single one on the black line, and even every one but in the middle of the amino acid.

How do you all fold the beta sheets on your protein model and if any, which of these is the right way to fold the beta sheets?

-- Thanks in advance,
Alphatica
eagerlearner102

Post by eagerlearner102 »

Ok thanks.
I skipped the section about photosynthesis and electron transport chain so I should probably go back.
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
EastVikingsSciOly
State: PA

Post by EastVikingsSciOly »

I have a couple of questions that I get mixed answers from on the internet. If anyone could help, that would be great!
1. Does CRISPR-CAS9 more often sue HDR or NHEJ for DNA repair?
2. would a compound that affects disulfude bond formation affect primary, tertiary, and quarter nary, or just tertiary and quarter nary.
WestMax

Post by WestMax »

EastVikingsSciOly wrote: March 1st, 2020, 7:12 am I have a couple of questions that I get mixed answers from on the internet. If anyone could help, that would be great!
1. Does CRISPR-CAS9 more often use HDR or NHEJ for DNA repair?
2. would a compound that affects disulfide bond formation affect primary, tertiary, and quaternary, or just tertiary and quarternary.
1.) I'm not too sure, but I have read before that NHEJ is more often used in DNA repair.
2.) As for number 2, I believe that disulfide would only affect quaternary and tertiary structures as the tertiary structure is the only stage that involves disulfide bonds between R-groups, and since quaternary comes after the tertiary struct, a change in tertiary structure would then change the quaternary structure as well.
Placed 55th in Codebusters. :(
Placed 43rd in Protein Modeling. :(
Placed 7th in Circuit Lab B)
Placed 1st in Good Looks B)
EastVikingsSciOly
State: PA

Post by EastVikingsSciOly »

WestMax wrote: March 1st, 2020, 8:42 am
EastVikingsSciOly wrote: March 1st, 2020, 7:12 am I have a couple of questions that I get mixed answers from on the internet. If anyone could help, that would be great!
1. Does CRISPR-CAS9 more often use HDR or NHEJ for DNA repair?
2. would a compound that affects disulfide bond formation affect primary, tertiary, and quaternary, or just tertiary and quarternary.
1.) I'm not too sure, but I have read before that NHEJ is more often used in DNA repair.
2.) As for number 2, I believe that disulfide would only affect quaternary and tertiary structures as the tertiary structure is the only stage that involves disulfide bonds between R-groups, and since quaternary comes after the tertiary struct, a change in tertiary structure would then change the quaternary structure as well.
Thanks sm!
WestMax

Post by WestMax »

I'm attempting to learn as much as I can about CRISPR, but I feel lost because I either find sources that are way too in-depth and I cannot read them, or I find the most basic resources. Does anyone have any sources that are between the two, and I hate to say it but the fact that the rules only tell us to learn about CRISPR/Cas9 means I have no real idea what I should focus on and I'm stuck feeling like I'm either missing vital information or I'm going way to obscure. I have been to scioly.com and am currently going through their video series, but is that enough?
Placed 55th in Codebusters. :(
Placed 43rd in Protein Modeling. :(
Placed 7th in Circuit Lab B)
Placed 1st in Good Looks B)

Return to “Protein Modeling C”