Protein Modeling C

pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Protein Modeling C

Post by pikachu4919 »

Protein Modeling C: Students will use computer visualization and online resources to construct physical models of the CRISPR Cas9 protein that is being engineered to edit plant and animal cell genomes, and answer a series of questions about the chemistry of protein folding and the interaction of structure and function for model proteins.

Protein Modeling Wiki

Protein Modeling Test Exchange

http://cbm.msoe.edu/scienceOlympiad/

Official Protein Modeling Event Facebook Page (many photos of models from nationals are posted here)

Past Threads:
2011 (Pluripotent Stem Cells)
2012 (Apoptosis)
2015 (Human Genome Editing)
2016 (Dopamine and Serotonin Synthesis)
2019 (Anti-CRISPR)

Past Question Marathons: 2015, 2019
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by CookiePie1 »

Super interested in the onsite computer visualization portion. It's sad to see the onsite portion go. Thoughts on this?
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

CookiePie1 wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 8:10 am Super interested in the onsite computer visualization portion. It's sad to see the onsite portion go. Thoughts on this?
$$$
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Unome wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 8:34 am
CookiePie1 wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 8:10 am Super interested in the onsite computer visualization portion. It's sad to see the onsite portion go. Thoughts on this?
$$$
^^^ As an invitational tournament director, the on-site build was expensive to run. While it was easily an order of magnitude cheaper if you purchased your own materials than MSOE kits, this was still burdensome to tournaments and/or the school assigned to run Protein Modeling.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

AlfWeg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MI

Post by AlfWeg »

nicholasmaurer wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 10:04 am
$$$
^^^ As an invitational tournament director, the on-site build was expensive to run. While it was easily an order of magnitude cheaper if you purchased your own materials than MSOE kits, this was still burdensome to tournaments and/or the school assigned to run Protein Modeling.
Def agree it was expensive, but then again the test was never really a differentiating factor last year. The CBM tests were pretty easy....im p sure it was more the on-site that separated teams.
Slauson'16 Pio'20 UM'24

AlfWeg's Userpage
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

AlfWeg wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 2:51 pm
$$$
Def agree it was expensive, but then again the test was never really a differentiating factor last year. The CBM tests were pretty easy....im p sure it was more the on-site that separated teams.
At least at the invitational level, there were a number of good tests written by individual ES rather than the standardized test from MSOE. In those cases it was a better differentiator.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

primitivepolonium
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by primitivepolonium »

nicholasmaurer wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 6:43 pm
AlfWeg wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 2:51 pm

At least at the invitational level, there were a number of good tests written by individual ES rather than the standardized test from MSOE. In those cases it was a better differentiator.
To be honest, the thing that most differentiated Protein was its points breakdown, not any specific section. I've seen overall point distributions for Protein at 3 tournaments (all of which had >50 teams), and none of them had ties at all. By weighing each section separately, MSOE greatly reduced the chances of ties--it's likely two teams might score the same amount of points overall, but not that likely that two teams will get the same exact point breakdown. As long as there's still 3 sections and (roughly) the same number of points, all should be fine. I don't miss the on-site at all; it's expensive, requires a lot more prep work to organize than a computer, and feels slightly wasteful (especially when the teams don't collect them afterwards).

Agree with Nick. Also will add that even at official tournaments (ie., States), it's not unheard of for ES to tack on their own questions to the end of the MSOE exam.
Div D! I really like chem, oceanography, and nail polish--not in that order.

Troy HS, co2016.

Feel free to PM me about SciOly or college or whatever! I really enjoy making online friends.
huppada
State: FL

Post by huppada »

How do you think the Computer Exploration part of the test will work? What types of questions should we expect to see?
Orlando Science Schools '20
2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Forensics, Protein Modeling
banilmd
State: CA
Has thanked: 0

Post by banilmd »

huppada wrote: September 8th, 2019, 1:13 pm How do you think the Computer Exploration part of the test will work? What types of questions should we expect to see?
I think it will be testing the competitors ability to use jmol effectively within the time limit. So maybe a lot of identification questions?
MacintoshJosh
State: VA

Post by MacintoshJosh »

I think it will be testing the competitors ability to use jmol effectively within the time limit. So maybe a lot of identification questions?
I can't think of how they could make identification questions hard though as Jmol is pretty straightforward. I feel like the questions would lean more towards chem principles and less identification; if they focus on how effective competitors can use Jmol then it would just be more of a coding event.

Return to “Protein Modeling C”