Experimental Design B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Experimental Design B/C

Post by dxu46 »

Cheers to a hopefully more active 2020 season!
Define and give an example of each type of qualitative observation as described in the checklist.
Edit: hide isn't working so:
Define and give an example of each type of qualitative observation as described in the checklist.
Marieniz
Division: Grad
State: DC
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

View first unread post

Post by Marieniz »

When i click on view first unread every 2nd time i get sent to a post somewhere in the middle of the thread leaving me having to go throught a load of posts i have already read not a problem cause i tend to pick things up that i have missed . just wondering if this happens to anyone else?
Cheers
donutsandcupcakes

Re: View first unread post

Post by donutsandcupcakes »

Marieniz wrote: December 21st, 2019, 12:26 pm When i click on view first unread every 2nd time i get sent to a post somewhere in the middle of the thread leaving me having to go throught a load of posts i have already read not a problem cause i tend to pick things up that i have missed . just wondering if this happens to anyone else?
Cheers
R u and @cynthiamex the same person? Bc they asked the same question..
madhavaniyengar
State: MI

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by madhavaniyengar »

dxu46 wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 4:38 am Define and give an example of each type of qualitative observation as described in the checklist.
yo anyone tryna answer this question? would very much appreciate it.
DerechosRYummy
State: VA

Post by DerechosRYummy »

madhavaniyengar wrote: January 4th, 2020, 10:54 pm
dxu46 wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 4:38 am Define and give an example of each type of qualitative observation as described in the checklist.
I'm not sure if this is the format you want the answers in but here it is using a ball dropping experiment as an example:
Observation about results: All of our results for this experiment reflected our predicted trend of rebound height increasing with drop height. Observation about procedure: The procedure required the ball to be dropped from greater than 0 cm a total of 9 times. Observation during experiment: We would sometimes need to readjust the meterstick used to measure the drop and rebound height if it tilted to the side. Also here's some questions:
1. Give an example of a possible experimental error.
2. Write a statement of problem for any experiment.
madhavaniyengar
State: MI

Post by madhavaniyengar »

DerechosRYummy wrote: January 19th, 2020, 9:05 pm
I'm not sure if this is the format you want the answers in but here it is using a ball dropping experiment as an example:
Observation about results: All of our results for this experiment reflected our predicted trend of rebound height increasing with drop height. Observation about procedure: The procedure required the ball to be dropped from greater than 0 cm a total of 9 times. Observation during experiment: We would sometimes need to readjust the meterstick used to measure the drop and rebound height if it tilted to the side. Also here's some questions:
1. Give an example of a possible experimental error.
2. Write a statement of problem for any experiment.
Going along with the ball dropping experiment
1. One possible error could be the ball not bouncing straight up after hitting the ground and bouncing up slightly diagonally. Because it doesn't bounce straight up, the height that we measure will be lower than it would if the ball went perfectly straight.
2. How does the initial height that a bouncy ball is dropped from affect the height to which it rebounds after hitting the ground?
Here's my question I guess - Give an example of a CER for the outliers section of the analysis.
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

Going along with the ball dropping experiment
1. One possible error could be the ball not bouncing straight up after hitting the ground and bouncing up slightly diagonally. Because it doesn't bounce straight up, the height that we measure will be lower than it would if the ball went perfectly straight.
2. How does the initial height that a bouncy ball is dropped from affect the height to which it rebounds after hitting the ground?
Here's my question I guess - Give an example of a CER for the outliers section of the analysis.
Both of those seem correct.

I'm not really sure how to write CER since I've never done it but here goes... We had no outliers in our experiment testing the rebound height of a ball. All of our trials for each level of the IV were within 4 cm of the mean and median, (0 cm variation for 0 cm drop height, 3 cm variation for 30 cm drop height, 2 cm variation for 60 cm drop height, and 4 cm variation for 90 cm drop height. Compared to the mean and median rebound heights for each level of the IV, the trials with the greatest variation for each level of the IV were not significant enough to be considered outliers. Here's another question: Find two controlled variables and one constant for this experiment.
Here
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Here »

DerechosRYummy wrote: January 20th, 2020, 9:44 am
Both of those seem correct.

I'm not really sure how to write CER since I've never done it but here goes... We had no outliers in our experiment testing the rebound height of a ball. All of our trials for each level of the IV were within 4 cm of the mean and median, (0 cm variation for 0 cm drop height, 3 cm variation for 30 cm drop height, 2 cm variation for 60 cm drop height, and 4 cm variation for 90 cm drop height. Compared to the mean and median rebound heights for each level of the IV, the trials with the greatest variation for each level of the IV were not significant enough to be considered outliers. Here's another question: Find two controlled variables and one constant for this experiment.
Controls: Surface ball is dropped on and the ball that is used
Constant: Gravity

question: list 2 types of errors and give an example for each in a diffusion experiment
johns hopkins '25
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

Here wrote: January 29th, 2020, 8:59 am question: list 2 types of errors and give an example for each in a diffusion experiment
I'm going to say that food coloring is being dissolved.
1. One possible error that could've occurred in our experiment is that the amount of food coloring diffused in the water could've been slightly different than the intended amount for each trial. If more food coloring was dropped in the water than intended, then it would've likely taken longer to diffuse. If less food coloring was dropped in the water than intended, then it would've likely taken less time to diffuse. 2. Another possible error that could've occurred in our experiment is that the person timing how long it took for the food coloring to diffuse could've started or stopped the timer earlier or later than intended. If they started early or stopped late, then the time for the food coloring to diffuse would have been recorded as higher than it actually was. If they started late or stopped early, then the time for the food coloring to diffuse would have been recorded as lower than it actually was.

Return to “2020 Question Marathons”