Page 5 of 10

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: January 20th, 2020, 1:04 pm
by dchen22
wec01 wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 7:32 pm
dchen22 wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 6:26 am
Specimen A:
https://media.sketchfab.com/models/484e ... 1cf3c.jpeg
Specimen B:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/AigAAOSw ... s-l300.jpg
1. Identify specimen A.
2. What structure does specimen A hunt with?
3. Which epoch did specimen A first appear in?
4. Identify specimen B.
5. Which end (top or bottom) was the anterior?
1. conus 2. a harpoon like radula that extends from the proboscis 3. eocene 4. cypraea 5. bottom
Your turn!

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: January 22nd, 2020, 6:27 pm
by wec01
1. What does a “coal gap” in the fossil record following the Permian extinction suggest?
2. Why did “meandering” streams change to “braided” streams after the Permian extinction?
3. What organism temporarily replaced reefs after the Permian extinction?

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: January 27th, 2020, 5:48 am
by ChimpLopez
wec01 wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 6:27 pm
1. What does a “coal gap” in the fossil record following the Permian extinction suggest?
2. Why did “meandering” streams change to “braided” streams after the Permian extinction?
3. What organism temporarily replaced reefs after the Permian extinction?
1. The Coal gap in the fossil record suggest a lack of coal-forming plants. This lack of plants could have been from the losses of the Permian extinction itself, or new environmental conditions that affected the plants. 2. Meandering steams changed to braided streams following the change in climate from the End-Permian extinction to the early Jurassic. The landscape became very dry and a lot of vegetation was lost, which allowed the streams to become braided. 3. Bivalves became the reef builders. In specific, Rudists.

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: January 28th, 2020, 7:56 am
by wec01
ChimpLopez wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 5:48 am
wec01 wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 6:27 pm
1. What does a “coal gap” in the fossil record following the Permian extinction suggest?
2. Why did “meandering” streams change to “braided” streams after the Permian extinction?
3. What organism temporarily replaced reefs after the Permian extinction?
1. The Coal gap in the fossil record suggest a lack of coal-forming plants. This lack of plants could have been from the losses of the Permian extinction itself, or new environmental conditions that affected the plants. 2. Meandering steams changed to braided streams following the change in climate from the End-Permian extinction to the early Jurassic. The landscape became very dry and a lot of vegetation was lost, which allowed the streams to become braided. 3. Bivalves became the reef builders. In specific, Rudists.
Number 3 should be stromatolites, which took over when corals died. Rudists appeared later on. Other than that looks good. Your turn!

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: January 28th, 2020, 3:03 pm
by ChimpLopez
Image





Might be a little easy but here goes :/

1. Identify the this organism?
2. Where and when was this specimen discovered?
3. What is the significance of the discovery of this specimen?
4. Name some characteristics of this specimen that links it to modern tetra pods.

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: January 28th, 2020, 7:50 pm
by Name
ChimpLopez wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 3:03 pm
Image





Might be a little easy but here goes :/

1. Identify the this organism?
2. Where and when was this specimen discovered?
3. What is the significance of the discovery of this specimen?
4. Name some characteristics of this specimen that links it to modern tetra pods.
1. tiktaalik
2. canada 2004
3. represents a transition fossil from fish to tetrapods
4. rib bones, mobile neck, primitive lungs

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: January 29th, 2020, 6:30 am
by ChimpLopez
Name wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 7:50 pm
ChimpLopez wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 3:03 pm
Image





Might be a little easy but here goes :/

1. Identify the this organism?
2. Where and when was this specimen discovered?
3. What is the significance of the discovery of this specimen?
4. Name some characteristics of this specimen that links it to modern tetra pods.
1. tiktaalik
2. canada 2004
3. represents a transition fossil from fish to tetrapods
4. rib bones, mobile neck, primitive lungs
Great Job, except if you want to be more specific, it should be Nunavut, Canada Your Turn!

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: January 29th, 2020, 12:15 pm
by Name
Answer these questions about Titanis
1. What time period did Titanis live in?
2. T/F? Unlike most other birds, the bones of Titanis skulls are completely fused together
3. Give two possible theories of how Titanis killed its prey
4. What are the closest living relatives to Titanis today?
5. The earliest Titanis fossils found was in Texas dating back 5 million years ago. Why would this be considered unusual?
6. What type of habitat did Titanus inhabit?
7. What other predators did Titanus compete with?
8. Why did Titanus die out during the Pleistocene era?

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: February 2nd, 2020, 3:28 pm
by dchen22
Name wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 12:15 pm
Answer these questions about Titanis
1. What time period did Titanis live in?
2. T/F? Unlike most other birds, the bones of Titanis skulls are completely fused together
3. Give two possible theories of how Titanis killed its prey
4. What are the closest living relatives to Titanis today?
5. The earliest Titanis fossils found was in Texas dating back 5 million years ago. Why would this be considered unusual?
6. What type of habitat did Titanus inhabit?
7. What other predators did Titanus compete with?
8. Why did Titanus die out during the Pleistocene era?
1. Neogene, Quaternary
2. True
3. One theory is that it used its robust beak to pummel prey. Another theory is that it smashed prey on rocks like the seriemas.
4. Seriemas
5. The Great American Interchange had not happened yet.
6. Grassland
7. Wolves, saber-toothed cats
8. Competitive pressures and climate change 

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: February 2nd, 2020, 3:39 pm
by Name
dchen22 wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 3:28 pm
Name wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 12:15 pm
Answer these questions about Titanis
1. What time period did Titanis live in?
2. T/F? Unlike most other birds, the bones of Titanis skulls are completely fused together
3. Give two possible theories of how Titanis killed its prey
4. What are the closest living relatives to Titanis today?
5. The earliest Titanis fossils found was in Texas dating back 5 million years ago. Why would this be considered unusual?
6. What type of habitat did Titanus inhabit?
7. What other predators did Titanus compete with?
8. Why did Titanus die out during the Pleistocene era?
1. Neogene, Quaternary
2. True
3. One theory is that it used its robust beak to pummel prey. Another theory is that it smashed prey on rocks like the seriemas.
4. Seriemas
5. The Great American Interchange had not happened yet.
6. Grassland
7. Wolves, saber-toothed cats
8. Competitive pressures and climate change 
yup your turn