Fossils B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
User avatar
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 309
Joined: February 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm
Division: C
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 100 times

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by BennyTheJett » March 16th, 2020, 4:19 pm

1)Who developed the taxonomic classification system?
2)Classify the following Lagerstatte as conservation or concentration: Beecher's Trilobite Bed, Burgess Shale, Solnhofen Limestone, La Brea Tar Pits, Green River Formation
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... _small.jpg
3)Identify The Organism
4)What is the mode of life of this organism?
5)What does the organism's name mean?
6)Describe the gills of the organism (what they look like, what they did, where they were located)
7)In what rock formation was this organism found in regularly ( it was in Pennsylvania)
8)About how many species of the specimen were thought to exist?
Menomonie Scioly

2021 Events:
Astronomy, Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Geologic Mapping, Water Quality, Possibly Geocaching.


X.

User avatar
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 309
Joined: February 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm
Division: C
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 100 times

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by BennyTheJett » March 16th, 2020, 4:25 pm

https://vmnhpaleontology.files.wordpres ... 03-26a.jpg
Oops, for the people potentially answering disregard the link in the question and use this one:
Menomonie Scioly

2021 Events:
Astronomy, Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Geologic Mapping, Water Quality, Possibly Geocaching.


X.

User avatar
reninkidney
Member
Member
Posts: 83
Joined: April 6th, 2019, 3:29 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by reninkidney » March 16th, 2020, 5:51 pm

BennyTheJett wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 4:19 pm
1)Who developed the taxonomic classification system?
2)Classify the following Lagerstatte as conservation or concentration: Beecher's Trilobite Bed, Burgess Shale, Solnhofen Limestone, La Brea Tar Pits, Green River Formation
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... _small.jpg
3)Identify The Organism
4)What is the mode of life of this organism?
5)What does the organism's name mean?
6)Describe the gills of the organism (what they look like, what they did, where they were located)
7)In what rock formation was this organism found in regularly ( it was in Pennsylvania)
8)About how many species of the specimen were thought to exist?
1. Carl Linnaeus.
2. Beecher's Trilobite Bed: conservation, Burgess Shale: conservation, Solnhofen Limestone: conservation, La Brea Tar Pits: concentration, Green River Formation: conservation
3. Bothriolepis
4. freshwater benthic motile detritivores
5. pitted/trench scale
6. Gills were enclosed by an opercular fold and found in the space beneath the head shield, underneath neurocranium.
7. Catskill Formation
8. 100 species
2020 Events: A&P, Fossils, Heredity, XPD

User avatar
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 309
Joined: February 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm
Division: C
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 100 times

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by BennyTheJett » March 16th, 2020, 6:49 pm

Number 8 should be
65
Otherwise all correct. Your turn!
Menomonie Scioly

2021 Events:
Astronomy, Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Geologic Mapping, Water Quality, Possibly Geocaching.


X.

User avatar
reninkidney
Member
Member
Posts: 83
Joined: April 6th, 2019, 3:29 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by reninkidney » March 17th, 2020, 3:42 pm

Image


1. Identify this specimen.
2. What were it's plates used for?
3. Who discovered this specimen?
4. When was this specimen found?

Image

5. Identify this specimen.
6. Did this specimen live in herd?
7. Was this a herbivore or a carnivore?
8. Were juveniles bipedal or quadrupedal?
2020 Events: A&P, Fossils, Heredity, XPD

User avatar
reninkidney
Member
Member
Posts: 83
Joined: April 6th, 2019, 3:29 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by reninkidney » March 19th, 2020, 10:50 am

2020 Events: A&P, Fossils, Heredity, XPD

twig
Member
Member
Posts: 77
Joined: January 12th, 2020, 8:39 am
Division: B
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Location: MPR, Room 2, Music Room, somewhere where I'm stressing out from Scioly
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by twig » March 19th, 2020, 11:12 am

reninkidney wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 3:42 pm

1. Identify this specimen.
2. What were it's plates used for?
3. Who discovered this specimen?
4. When was this specimen found?

5. Identify this specimen.
6. Did this specimen live in herd?
7. Was this a herbivore or a carnivore?
8. Were juveniles bipedal or quadrupedal?
1. Stegosaurus
2. Temperature Regulation, sometimes mating?
3. M.P. Felch, Named by Marsh in 1877
4. 1876 in the Morrison Formation (i think)

5. Maiasaura
6. yes
7. Herbivore
8. Bipedal
2021 events: Fossils, DP, Meteo, Orni
2018-2021: Non-proud member of DMSO
2019-2024: co-coach of Meteorology, coach for Crime Busters,co-coach for Fossils,co-coach for R&M, co-coach for DP
A very non-intelligent crackhead during competition

User avatar
reninkidney
Member
Member
Posts: 83
Joined: April 6th, 2019, 3:29 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by reninkidney » March 19th, 2020, 1:43 pm

twig wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 11:12 am
reninkidney wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 3:42 pm

1. Identify this specimen.
2. What were it's plates used for?
3. Who discovered this specimen?
4. When was this specimen found?

5. Identify this specimen.
6. Did this specimen live in herds?
7. Was this a herbivore or a carnivore?
8. Were juveniles bipedal or quadrupedal?
1. Stegosaurus
2. Temperature Regulation, sometimes mating?
3. M.P. Felch, Named by Marsh in 1877
4. 1876 in the Morrison Formation (i think)

5. Maiasaura
6. yes
7. Herbivore
8. Bipedal
All correct... your turn!
2020 Events: A&P, Fossils, Heredity, XPD

twig
Member
Member
Posts: 77
Joined: January 12th, 2020, 8:39 am
Division: B
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Location: MPR, Room 2, Music Room, somewhere where I'm stressing out from Scioly
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by twig » March 23rd, 2020, 6:08 pm

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... .18_AM.png
1. Id this specimen, also name the id the part that is shown
2. Who is credited with the discovery of this organism?
3. What other specimens on the official fossils list did he/she discover?
4. This specimen is the state fossil of what state?
5. What reproductive behavior did this organism have?
6. What do people speculate that it evolved from?
7. What was the purpose of having the sclerotic ring on its eye?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... .59_PM.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... .21_PM.png
8. Id both specimens.
9. Who named each of them?
10. What was their rivalry called? (I am sad for getting their rivalry wrong at regionals)
11. List other specimens that they discovered. ( two for each paleontologist, and doesn’t have to be on the list)
12. These specimens are both ______. (be kinda specific, just please don’t say they are animals or chordates)
13. These dinosaurs both happen to be state fossils of two different states. List them.
14. What are the nicknames of both dinosaurs?
15. Did either of them live in packs?

Sorry for this post being so late and long xD (I've been studying for my events next year that's why), just want to make sure the Fossils people get their station practice
2021 events: Fossils, DP, Meteo, Orni
2018-2021: Non-proud member of DMSO
2019-2024: co-coach of Meteorology, coach for Crime Busters,co-coach for Fossils,co-coach for R&M, co-coach for DP
A very non-intelligent crackhead during competition

User avatar
reninkidney
Member
Member
Posts: 83
Joined: April 6th, 2019, 3:29 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by reninkidney » March 23rd, 2020, 7:19 pm

twig wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 6:08 pm
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... .18_AM.png
1. Id this specimen, also name the id the part that is shown
2. Who is credited with the discovery of this organism?
3. What other specimens on the official fossils list did he/she discover?
4. This specimen is the state fossil of what state?
5. What reproductive behavior did this organism have?
6. What do people speculate that it evolved from?
7. What was the purpose of having the sclerotic ring on its eye?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... .59_PM.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... .21_PM.png
8. Id both specimens.
9. Who named each of them?
10. What was their rivalry called? (I am sad for getting their rivalry wrong at regionals)
11. List other specimens that they discovered. ( two for each paleontologist, and doesn’t have to be on the list)
12. These specimens are both ______. (be kinda specific, just please don’t say they are animals or chordates)
13. These dinosaurs both happen to be state fossils of two different states. List them.
14. What are the nicknames of both dinosaurs?
15. Did either of them live in packs?

Sorry for this post being so late and long xD (I've been studying for my events next year that's why), just want to make sure the Fossils people get their station practice
1. Order Ichthyosauria
2. Mary Anning
3. plesiosaur, pterosaur
4. Nevada
5. Viviparous
6. Tetrapods
7. Protecting the eye against water pressure.
8. Allosaurus, Coelophysis
9. Marsh, Cope
10. Bone Wars
11. Cope: Eryops, Edaphosaurus; Marsh: Stegosaurus, Mesohippus
12. Theropods
13. Utah, New Mexico
14. strange/fragile lizard & hollow form
15. Both did
2020 Events: A&P, Fossils, Heredity, XPD

Locked

Return to “2020 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest