Dynamic Planet (Oceanography)

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
IHateClouds
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Dynamic Planet (Oceanography)

Post by IHateClouds »

AlfWeg said:
1) If a wind moves parallel to the equator, moving towards the east in the northern hemisphere, which way will it curve to(Equator or Poles)? Why?
2) What is Coriolis acceleration?
1. It would curve toward the equator because coriolis has a rightward/clockwise deflection in the northern hemisphere.
2. The change in direction due to the rotation of the earth. (Instead of walking in a straight line, from two points, since the earth is rotating, its curved.)
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

For #1, wouldn't it be no deflection, since it's parallel to the equator? But I'm most likely wrong, so just ignore me.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Umaroth »

SilverBreeze wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 6:44 pm For #1, wouldn't it be no deflection, since it's parallel to the equator? But I'm most likely wrong, so just ignore me.
There would still be deflection, there's only no Coriolis force at the equator. Parallel to the equator doesn't necessarily mean at the equator.
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SilverBreeze »

Umaroth wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 8:37 pm
SilverBreeze wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 6:44 pm For #1, wouldn't it be no deflection, since it's parallel to the equator? But I'm most likely wrong, so just ignore me.
There would still be deflection, there's only no Coriolis force at the equator. Parallel to the equator doesn't necessarily mean at the equator.
I thought Coriolis was always perpendicular to axis of rotation?
I don't know what I'm doing.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
AlfWeg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by AlfWeg »

IHateClouds wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 2:49 pm
AlfWeg said:
1) If a wind moves parallel to the equator, moving towards the east in the northern hemisphere, which way will it curve to(Equator or Poles)? Why?
2) What is Coriolis acceleration?
1. It would curve toward the equator because coriolis has a rightward/clockwise deflection in the northern hemisphere.
2. The change in direction due to the rotation of the earth. (Instead of walking in a straight line, from two points, since the earth is rotating, its curved.)
Good Work. For 1) Right, That’s a p standard definition, I think because I specified parallel to the equator, I want to a more definite explanation, after all, there is no change in radius. So why? https://stratus.ssec.wisc.edu/courses/g ... iolis.html Has a good explanation of why it curves right to the equator under Part C.
2) Can’t pretend I know too much about this, but here goes, Coriolis Acceleration is the idea that as radius changes, velocity changes(rmv)So on earth, that would be like traveling from 0 to 30 degrees. Velocity around the axis increases ( not North -South velocity) because of the Change in radius.
SilverBreeze wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 9:21 pm
Umaroth wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 8:37 pm
I thought Coriolis was always perpendicular to axis of rotation?
I don't know what I'm doing.
Hello! I believe the same website should explain that: https://stratus.ssec.wisc.edu/courses/g ... iolis.html
Slauson'16 Pio'20 UM'24

AlfWeg's Userpage
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

AlfWeg wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 9:41 am Good Work. For 1) Right, That’s a p standard definition, I think because I specified parallel to the equator, I want to a more definite explanation, after all, there is no change in radius. So why? https://stratus.ssec.wisc.edu/courses/g ... iolis.html Has a good explanation of why it curves right to the equator under Part C.
2) Can’t pretend I know too much about this, but here goes, Coriolis Acceleration is the idea that as radius changes, velocity changes(rmv)So on earth, that would be like traveling from 0 to 30 degrees. Velocity around the axis increases ( not North -South velocity) because of the Change in radius.
Okay cool!

Next questions:
1. What is the thermocline? Where is it?
2. What is the barrier layer? Why is it important?
3. What is the sea-surface microlayer? How thick is it?
JoeyC
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

The thermocline is the temperature gradient in the water along which hot surface water (mixed water) transitions into colder deep water. It is under the mixed layer.
The barrier layer separates thermocline from mixed water layer. It's important as its where most of the heat that characterizes the El NIno is stored.
The sea-surface microlayer is the region where ocean and air meet on molecular scales, being often high in nutrients and organic compounds. I'd guess it's about 1mm deep?
(where do you guys find all this stuff?)
EDIT: as in what website? I've never heard of some of this stuff til now...
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

JoeyC wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 6:32 pm The thermocline is the temperature gradient in the water along which hot surface water (mixed water) transitions into colder deep water. It is under the mixed layer.
The barrier layer separates thermocline from mixed water layer. It's important as its where most of the heat that characterizes the El NIno is stored.
The sea-surface microlayer is the region where ocean and air meet on molecular scales, being often high in nutrients and organic compounds. I'd guess it's about 1mm deep?
(where do you guys find all this stuff?)
EDIT: as in what website? I've never heard of some of this stuff til now...
1.correct! however, to be more specific, I would add the thermocline is between 100m and 1000m, never more than 2000m.
2. correct :)
3. yep!

and i agree the stuff i asked was to the obscure side >w<. i honestly just spend too much time on wikipedia...
JoeyC
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

1.) What are Rossby waves (oceanic)?
2.) What are Kelvin Waves?
3.) How do both of the above mentioned waves affect ENSO and Walker Circulation?
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SilverBreeze »

1. Rossby waves are low-amplitude inertial waves in the thermocline cause by the Earth's rotation.
2. Kelvin waves balances the Coriolis force and a boundary.
3. Kelvin waves transport heat from the western Pacific toward the Americas, where it travels along the coast and drains to the poles, eventually ending the El Nino period/conditions. Rossby waves transport heat in the opposite direction but not enough to counter the Kelvin waves.(I'm not sure I fully understand this, but that's my best answer.)
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023

Return to “2020 Question Marathons”