Machines B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Nydauron
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Machines B/C

Post by Nydauron »

AlfWeg wrote: October 16th, 2019, 11:50 am
shrewdPanther46 wrote: October 16th, 2019, 10:07 am
AlfWeg wrote: I think you missed that it's a sphere and it's rolling, so we have to include rotational kinetic energy in our energy equation. Taking that into Consideration, We get [KE (translational) + KE (Rotational) = PE] The formula for rotational KE is (1/2 * Rotational Inertia * Omega^2 ). A solid sphere has a rpt. Inertia of (2/5) * Mass * (Radius^2) and Omega = V/R. Thus, we get the equation
(1/2) * M * V^2 + (1/2) * (2/5) *M * R^2 = M* G*H. Rearranging we get, v = sqrt((10/7)gh), giving us 8.5 m/s^2. This Presentation might help to understand this.
Your turn!
Umaroth's solution is correct, the sphere has no reason to roll
Oh lol I forgot to say it was rolling. Ignore my stupidity
Sorry for stopping the flow, but I wanted to point out that that answer is still wrong.
When dealing with a ramp problem with a rolling sphere or cylinder, its easier to use the Parallel Axis Theorem. The reason is that if you set your pivot point as the contact point between the ball and the ramp, we can say the torque is only caused by the force of gravity on the sphere. Following this, we get a force diagram like this: https://i.imgur.com/vdR6dHH.png
When calculating moment of inertia, we use the Parallel Axis Theorem which states I_Total = md^2 + I_CoM
Where d is the distance between the pivot point and the center of mass and I_CoM is the moment of inertia of the object around its center of mass.
In the case of this problem I_CoM = 2/5 mr^2 and d = r. We plug in those values and we get I_Total = 7/5 mr^2.
We then continue the problem the same way as before.
mgh = 1/2 mv^2 + 1/2 I_Total*(v/r)^2
mgh = 1/2 mv^2 + 1/2 (7/5mr^2)(v/r)^2
gh = 1/2 v^2 + 7/10v^2
gh = 6/5 v^2
When you plug in the values, v = 6.45m/s. With sig figs, it rounds to 6m/s.

Please carry on with the question above.
Conant '19UIUC '23
Physics is the only real science
Change my mind
Nydauron's Userpage
A proper dark mode for the forums and wiki
shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

Nydauron wrote:
AlfWeg wrote: October 16th, 2019, 11:50 am
shrewdPanther46 wrote: October 16th, 2019, 10:07 am Umaroth's solution is correct, the sphere has no reason to roll
Oh lol I forgot to say it was rolling. Ignore my stupidity
Sorry for stopping the flow, but I wanted to point out that that answer is still wrong.
When dealing with a ramp problem with a rolling sphere or cylinder, its easier to use the Parallel Axis Theorem. The reason is that if you set your pivot point as the contact point between the ball and the ramp, we can say the torque is only caused by the force of gravity on the sphere. Following this, we get a force diagram like this: https://i.imgur.com/vdR6dHH.png
When calculating moment of inertia, we use the Parallel Axis Theorem which states I_Total = md^2 + I_CoM
Where d is the distance between the pivot point and the center of mass and I_CoM is the moment of inertia of the object around its center of mass.
In the case of this problem I_CoM = 2/5 mr^2 and d = r. We plug in those values and we get I_Total = 7/5 mr^2.
We then continue the problem the same way as before.
mgh = 1/2 mv^2 + 1/2 I_Total*(v/r)^2
mgh = 1/2 mv^2 + 1/2 (7/5mr^2)(v/r)^2
gh = 1/2 v^2 + 7/10v^2
gh = 6/5 v^2
When you plug in the values, v = 6.45m/s. With sig figs, it rounds to 6m/s.

Please carry on with the question above.
I think your solution is incorrect. When choosing the axis of rotation as the contact point, there are some complications. Avoiding the details, the torque about the contact point from the weight of the sphere does not necessarily imply that the ball must roll... it means that the angular momentum about the contact point should change (by definition T=dL/dt). If you do the math, I think you will realize that the apparent torque is "used up" by the orbital angular momentum of the ball about the contact point. There is a good section in Morin explaining this. If there was friction, the ball would roll.

If you just take the CM reference frame, you would see that theres no torque to make it roll.
AlfWeg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MI

Post by AlfWeg »

terence.tan wrote: November 21st, 2019, 12:26 pm what is the ideal mechanical advantage of an Archimedes screw?
From replicacalliper: “ "Well if the inner radius of the screw is r, and the pitch is L, then I'd say d_in/d_out= √(L^2+(2πr)^2)/L"

Let’s get this marathon rolling again.
Slauson'16 Pio'20 UM'24

AlfWeg's Userpage
madhavaniyengar
Has thanked: 0

Post by madhavaniyengar »

Ok Alf lets get this rolling again with a question (courtesy of replicaacliper cuz we're all too lazy to think of one).

This crane is fixed at points A and B. Assuming all the girders are massless, find the magnitude of the force exerted on D by member BD in terms of W.
These users thanked the author madhavaniyengar for the post:
rotak (December 12th, 2020, 8:33 pm)
smayya337
State: VA

Post by smayya337 »

madhavaniyengar wrote: December 27th, 2019, 3:12 pm Ok Alf lets get this rolling again with a question (courtesy of replicaacliper cuz we're all too lazy to think of one).

This crane is fixed at points A and B. Assuming all the girders are massless, find the magnitude of the force exerted on D by member BD in terms of W.
There's a very good chance this is wrong, but I got 525W/117
TJHSST '22 | UVA '26
smayya337's Userpage
madhavaniyengar

smayya337 wrote: December 29th, 2019, 2:07 pm
madhavaniyengar wrote: December 27th, 2019, 3:12 pm Ok Alf lets get this rolling again with a question (courtesy of replicaacliper cuz we're all too lazy to think of one).

That's wrong. You should type out your work or thought process or something in case you were missing a key factor, idk.
smayya337

Post by smayya337 »

madhavaniyengar wrote: December 29th, 2019, 2:39 pm

That's wrong. You should type out your work or thought process or something in case you were missing a key factor, idk.
I think I found the issue... Is it 7W?
never mind
TJHSST '22 | UVA '26
smayya337's Userpage
madhavaniyengar

smayya337 wrote: December 29th, 2019, 5:29 pm

never mind
Yeah it isn't that. What method r u using?
smayya337

Post by smayya337 »

madhavaniyengar wrote: December 30th, 2019, 7:15 am
never mind
I have it at last - my equation was right, but my setup was not. It's 24W. Sorry for cluttering up the QM with failed attempts and happy new year to all of you!
TJHSST '22 | UVA '26
smayya337's Userpage
madhavaniyengar

smayya337 wrote: January 1st, 2020, 8:31 am
madhavaniyengar wrote: December 30th, 2019, 7:15 am

never mind
I have it at last - my equation was right, but my setup was not. It's 24W. Sorry for cluttering up the QM with failed attempts and happy new year to all of you!
Happy new year and yeah thats right gj
I guess you ask a question now

Return to “2020 Question Marathons”