Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by EwwPhysics »

reninkidney wrote: April 24th, 2020, 11:09 am 1. What are the levels of DNA compaction?

2. How does prokaryotic DNA differ from eukaryotic DNA?

3. What is the spindle checkpoint?
Not exactly sure what you mean but I'll say double helix, nucleosomes, chromatin fibers, chromosomes.
Prokaryotic DNA is circular while eukaryotic is arranged into linear chromosomes. Also, eukaryotic DNA is contained within the nucleus while prokaryotic DNA is in the cytoplasm (because there is no nucleus).
The spindle checkpoint is a checkpoint during mitosis or meiosis to make sure that chromosomes are properly attached to the spindle before anaphase starts
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit
Smallstudent
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Smallstudent »

Since no one has really replied to the last post, I guess I'll just ask the next questions:

1. What are the five subunits of an RNA Polymerase enzyme and what are their functions?
2. During DNA Replication, the addition of a new nucleotide is associated with what component of the previous nucleotide?
3. What is the main difference between Telocentric, Acrocentric, Metacentric, and Submetacentric chromosomes?
4. How many strands of DNA will there be in PCR experiment starting with 1 DNA strand after 7 cycles?
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by EwwPhysics »

Smallstudent wrote: August 18th, 2020, 5:12 pm Since no one has really replied to the last post, I guess I'll just ask the next questions:

1. What are the five subunits of an RNA Polymerase enzyme and what are their functions?
2. During DNA Replication, the addition of a new nucleotide is associated with what component of the previous nucleotide?
3. What is the main difference between Telocentric, Acrocentric, Metacentric, and Submetacentric chromosomes?
4. How many strands of DNA will there be in PCR experiment starting with 1 DNA strand after 7 cycles?
Most of my answers are probably wrong but I guess I'll try anyways :P

(I'm just going to write out the greek letter instead of copy and pasting lol) The alpha subunits holoenzyme help assemble the holoenzyme and help RNA Polymerase bind to DNA, the Beta and Beta Prime subunits help bind to the DNA and carry out the synthesis of RNA. The omega subunit is used to help assemble the core enzyme.
I guess deoxyribose?
The location of the centromeres - telocentric chromosomes have centromeres that are basically at the very end of the chromosome, acrocentric chromosomes have the centromere close to one end, submetacentric have centromeres that are slightly skewed to one end, and metacentric chromosomes have centromeres in the center.
128?
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit

Return to “2020 Question Marathons”