Codebusters C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Name
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Codebusters C

Post by Name »

dragonfruit35 wrote: February 14th, 2020, 11:59 am
Solve this challenging aristocrat straight out of my cryptography class.

ANUYJKHNFL JLNBL, NBENJK YNK KHNKIONS: JNYNHYJ - SNJKONS, INHKONS, JNHDSNJ ONBRNJ!
the letter 'E' does not appear in the plaintext
the 3-letter word is 'BUT'

Dang, I couldn't solve it without the hints :(
dumbstruck skunk, unjust but truthful: suburbs - lustful, hurtful, surplus fungus
idk how would you approach solving this without the second hint?

Also y'all have a cryptology class :o

Solve this challenging aristocrat my partner gave me awhile back pertaining to a subject taught in school:
GRKV EUPVYI SRYF FWBEAVFQAERV PVRB, NEABZVRKH GRKV VFQAERBU PQAKH SRYF FRHFQW JQPDDPCQU HPI.
The ciphertext H corresponds to the plaintext G
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
Name
State: NY

Post by Name »

Name wrote: February 14th, 2020, 4:20 pm
Solve this challenging aristocrat my partner gave me awhile back pertaining to a subject taught in school:
GRKV EUPVYI SRYF FWBEAVFQAERV PVRB, NEABZVRKH GRKV VFQAERBU PQAKH SRYF FRHFQW JQPDDPCQU HPI.
So I realized that this is probably too hard so here's a hint I gave out earlier:
The last word is gas
If that isn't enough:
 The ciphertext F corresponds to the plaintext H
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
olivia.m19
State: VA

Post by olivia.m19 »

Name wrote: February 28th, 2020, 8:40 pm
So I realized that this is probably too hard so here's a hint I gave out earlier:
The last word is gas
If that isn't enough:
thanks for the hint lol, sorry it took so long to respond
Zinc reacts with hydrochloric acid, producing zinc chloride along with highly flammable gas.
here's another school related aristocrat; this is part of the directions for an AI lab that is currently the bane of my existence

GVMRRTMVX NLPPBC VLBCR: GVMRRTMVXR HVC RSZZCEVOG TOED VCRNCGE EM EDCOV GCQECV. CJCVS MNCQ RULHVC HNNCHVR OQ FMED H DMVOPMQEHB HQX JCVEOGHB TMVX. QM TMVX OQ EDC GVMRRTMVX ZHS DHNNCQ ETOGC.
2020-21 snrszn lets goooo :-P
SOLVI/CMU/UChicago/Reg
Code: yikes/-/-/- Digital Structures: -/-/-/- Machines: yikes/-/-/- Sounds: yikes/-/-/-

2019-20
CMU/Reg/SOUP/State/Nat
Boomi: 4/4/-/-/- Code: 1/1/4/?/? Sounds: 1/1/3/?/? PPP: -/-/38/?/?
smayya337
Division: Grad

Post by smayya337 »

olivia.m19 wrote: February 29th, 2020, 4:42 pm
Name wrote: February 28th, 2020, 8:40 pm
The last word is gas
If that isn't enough:
thanks for the hint lol, sorry it took so long to respond
Zinc reacts with hydrochloric acid, producing zinc chloride along with highly flammable gas.
here's another school related aristocrat; this is part of the directions for an AI lab that is currently the bane of my existence

GVMRRTMVX NLPPBC VLBCR: GVMRRTMVXR HVC RSZZCEVOG TOED VCRNCGE EM EDCOV GCQECV. CJCVS MNCQ RULHVC HNNCHVR OQ FMED H DMVOPMQEHB HQX JCVEOGHB TMVX. QM TMVX OQ EDC GVMRRTMVX ZHS DHNNCQ ETOGC.
imagine taking AI :P
Crossword puzzle rules: Crosswords are symmetric with respect to their center. Every open square appears in both a horizontal and vertical word. No word in the crossword may happen twice.

Decode this Affine regarding a story often told at TJ's Computer Systems Lab, where a = 19 and b = 89 (TJHSST's first graduating class was the class of 1989).

L PZPLQFHY RYXJ PBVVJPIJQ IR LYRIOJW PZPLQFHY IOLI IOJZ PORBMQ LQQ L QRRFPQLZ XRBYIQRNY IR L VHLYI QHPKMLZ BPJQ CRW FRYHIRWHYV PXORRM PJWUHXJP. IOJ RIOJW PZPLQFHY FHPOJLWQ IOJ CHWPI LYQ IORBVOI OJ NLP LPTHYV CRW L IBJPQLZ XRBYIQRNY. PHYXJ IOJY, IOJ BKKJW WHVOI XRWYJW RC IOLI QHPKMLZ OLP OLQ L IBJPQLZ XRBYIQRNY, LYQ HI'P YRI VRHYV LYZNOJWJ LYZIHFJ PRRY.

(hopefully I didn't make any spelling errors - let me know if I did!)
TJHSST '22 | UVA '26
smayya337's Userpage
olivia.m19

Post by olivia.m19 »

smayya337 wrote: February 29th, 2020, 6:00 pm imagine taking AI :P
Crossword puzzle rules: Crosswords are symmetric with respect to their center. Every open square appears in both a horizontal and vertical word. No word in the crossword may happen twice.

Decode this Affine regarding a story often told at TJ's Computer Systems Lab, where a = 19 and b = 89 (TJHSST's first graduating class was the class of 1989).

L PZPLQFHY RYXJ PBVVJPIJQ IR LYRIOJW PZPLQFHY IOLI IOJZ PORBMQ LQQ L QRRFPQLZ XRBYIQRNY IR L VHLYI QHPKMLZ BPJQ CRW FRYHIRWHYV PXORRM PJWUHXJP. IOJ RIOJW PZPLQFHY FHPOJLWQ IOJ CHWPI LYQ IORBVOI OJ NLP LPTHYV CRW L IBJPQLZ XRBYIQRNY. PHYXJ IOJY, IOJ BKKJW WHVOI XRWYJW RC IOLI QHPKMLZ OLP OLQ L IBJPQLZ XRBYIQRNY, LYQ HI'P YRI VRHYV LYZNOJWJ LYZIHFJ PRRY.

(hopefully I didn't make any spelling errors - let me know if I did!)
i very much wish i wasn't atm :( also, why is this ciphertext so long?!?!?! i solved it as an aristocrat ngl
A sysadmin once suggested to another sysadmin that they should add a doomsday countdown to a giant display used for monitoring school services. The older sysadmin misheard the first and thought he was asking for a tuesday countdown. Since then, the upper right corner of that display has had a tuesday countdown, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.
decipher this vigenere with a 4-letter key word of something my physics teacher said about a senior tradition of not going to school. the sixth, seventh, and eighth letters are "RE G"

Ap gdm'bm vgsvv ly bpco i hcsx ssi, ldf'd kpdv qc kskz. Beai ggv izo ccwhkjkol ptcmcuo. Un kyv dfmm sjydt ly Xwavtn sxl vgd i rzomhwcbtsu wc zsa hcsx ssi.

edit: typo
2020-21 snrszn lets goooo :-P
SOLVI/CMU/UChicago/Reg
Code: yikes/-/-/- Digital Structures: -/-/-/- Machines: yikes/-/-/- Sounds: yikes/-/-/-

2019-20
CMU/Reg/SOUP/State/Nat
Boomi: 4/4/-/-/- Code: 1/1/4/?/? Sounds: 1/1/3/?/? PPP: -/-/38/?/?
donutsandcupcakes

Post by donutsandcupcakes »

olivia.m19 wrote: February 29th, 2020, 9:21 pm i very much wish i wasn't atm :( also, why is this ciphertext so long?!?!?! i solved it as an aristocrat ngl
A sysadmin once suggested to another sysadmin that they should add a doomsday countdown to a giant display used for monitoring school services. The older sysadmin misheard the first and thought he was asking for a tuesday countdown. Since then, the upper right corner of that display has had a tuesday countdown, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.
decipher this vigenere with a 4-letter key word of something my physics teacher said about a senior tradition of not going to school. the sixth, seventh, and eighth letters are "RE G"

Ap gdm'bm vgsvv ly bpco i hcsx ssi, ldf'd kpdv qc kskz. Beai ggv izo ccwhkjkol ptcmcuo. Un kyv dfmm sjydt ly Xwavtn sxl vgd i rzomhwcbtsu wc zsa hcsx ssi.

edit: typo
I'm guessing the key was SKIP... While solving I guessed on some words so they might be wrong but:
If you're going to take a skip day, don't call in sick. Just own the unexcused absence. My son once drove to Philly and got a cheesesteak on his skip day. Might be wrong but I tried
Also when I solved "idf'd i got aon'n" which didnt make sense in the sentence so I just changed it to what I thought fit the sentence
smayya337

Post by smayya337 »

olivia.m19 wrote: February 29th, 2020, 9:21 pm
Close - older should be other
TJHSST '22 | UVA '26
smayya337's Userpage
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

Since no one has gone in a while, here's a question:

Alexa misheard you reading a snippet of text off Scioly. Her transcription has been encrypted using monoalphabetic substitution. What did she think you said?

TWC PSUC BT TBTT SQ QBGSPQ PQN RPQ ZDNBZ VPD GNN TSH B TPYI NDTG PD JC BQ WQNN PV RND QBA
 the second-to-last word is HER
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
MacintoshJosh

Post by MacintoshJosh »

dragonfruit35 wrote: March 6th, 2020, 12:05 pm Since no one has gone in a while, here's a question:

Alexa misheard you reading a snippet of text off Scioly. Her transcription has been encrypted using monoalphabetic substitution. What did she think you said?

TWC PSUC BT TBTT SQ QBGSPQ PQN RPQ ZDNBZ VPD GNN TSH B TPYI NDTG PD JC BQ WQNN PV RND QBA
 the second-to-last word is HER[\hide]
[/quote]
I hope this is right:
[spoiler]Sky oily as sass in nation one hon dread for tee six a soup erst or by an knee of her nam - Scioly assassination one hundred forty six a souperstore by any other name[/spoiler]

Decrypt this [i]fun[/i] aristocrat I found from an online puzzle:

BMA NYZCDMRB XGUPJR TV XGC KEMSF BYZYOCB JGMIICW LPUXV HYSCB TCVPRW XGC QYUF.

You might need a hint:
[hide]Hint: | The last word is "MARK" 
I hope this is right: Sky oily as sass in nation one hon dread for tee six a soup erst or by an knee of her nam - Scioly assassination one hundred forty six a souperstore by any other name

Decrypt this fun aristocrat I found from an online puzzle:

You might need a hint:
 The last word is "MARK" 
will0416
State: OH

Post by will0416 »

MacintoshJosh wrote: March 6th, 2020, 3:25 pm
dragonfruit35 wrote: March 6th, 2020, 12:05 pm Since no one has gone in a while, here's a question:

the second-to-last word is HER[\hide]
[/quote]
I hope this is right:
[spoiler]Sky oily as sass in nation one hon dread for tee six a soup erst or by an knee of her nam - Scioly assassination one hundred forty six a souperstore by any other name[/spoiler]

Decrypt this [i]fun[/i] aristocrat I found from an online puzzle:

You might need a hint:
[hide]Hint: | The last word is "MARK" 
I hope this is right: Sky oily as sass in nation one hon dread for tee six a soup erst or by an knee of her nam - Scioly assassination one hundred forty six a souperstore by any other name

Decrypt this fun aristocrat I found from an online puzzle:

You might need a hint:
 The last word is "MARK" 
That was a toughie. Six javelins thrown by the quick savages whizzed forty paces beyond the mark.. Could someone else can take over for me and post a quote, need to do the hw i've been putting off (lol)
Mason ‘22
2021 Nats:
Chem - 1
Code - 5
SOM - 2
Boomi - 2

2019 Nats:
Code - 4
Mission - 4

Check out will0416's Userpage

Return to “2020 Question Marathons”