Meteorology B

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
DerechosRYummy
Division: C
State: VA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by DerechosRYummy »

Alright!

1. How does a psychrometer work?

2. How does a mesonet system work?

3. What is an advantage of POES?
twig
Division: B
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by twig »

DerechosRYummy wrote: January 28th, 2020, 5:39 pm Alright!

Revival! yw Derechos

1) A psychrometer is a hygrometer consisting of a dry and wet bulb. The dry bulb is exposed to air to measure the temperature and the moist bulb is covered by a cloth until further use by getting dipped in liquid and also tells the temperature. It's used to measure RH in the atmosphere.

2) Mesonet systems work in a group where they observe weather phenomena in a mesoscale expansion.
It can observe many things that were on EW last year lol (including sea breezes, land breezes, mountain and valley breezes,etc.) and has many vertical profiles of the PBL. It gets data from a software system, and along with remote sensing technology, it will have a relatively easier forecast for the weather.
idk what to write, i'm just curious on what you have to say about this. the question was kinda confusing

3) POES stands for Polar Operational Environmental Satellite, so one of the advantages of POES is that it can enhance the quality of the images on the poles and is relatively better at looking at polar areas than GOES.
2021 events: Fossils, DP, Meteo, Orni
2018-2021: Non-proud member of DMSO
2019-2024: co-coach of Meteorology, coach for Crime Busters,co-coach for Fossils,co-coach for R&M, co-coach for DP
A very non-intelligent crackhead during competition
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

twig wrote: February 24th, 2020, 8:48 pm
DerechosRYummy wrote: January 28th, 2020, 5:39 pm Alright!

Revival! yw Derechos

1) A psychrometer is a hygrometer consisting of a dry and wet bulb. The dry bulb is exposed to air to measure the temperature and the moist bulb is covered by a cloth until further use by getting dipped in liquid and also tells the temperature. It's used to measure RH in the atmosphere.

2) Mesonet systems work in a group where they observe weather phenomena in a mesoscale expansion.
It can observe many things that were on EW last year lol (including sea breezes, land breezes, mountain and valley breezes,etc.) and has many vertical profiles of the PBL. It gets data from a software system, and along with remote sensing technology, it will have a relatively easier forecast for the weather.
idk what to write, i'm just curious on what you have to say about this. the question was kinda confusing

3) POES stands for Polar Operational Environmental Satellite, so one of the advantages of POES is that it can enhance the quality of the images on the poles and is relatively better at looking at polar areas than GOES.
1. Correct!
2. Sorry for the confusion, but that's basically what I was going for.
3. Correct!

Your turn!
twig

Post by twig »

Sorry for not posting earlier, but these questions are going to be derecho themed (well three of them are)
1) What is a derecho? (sorry, this is basic)
2) What does an MCS need to be classified as a derecho?
3) What are the hazards of a derecho?
4) What was the significance of Hurricane Maria's impact (2 weeks after Irma) on the U.S.?
(when i was watching the news 2 years ago, I saw nothing but Hurricane Harvey and Irma, so why not put it into a question)
5) What's the difference between a hurricane watch and a warning?
2019-2024: co-coach of Meteorology, coach for Crime Busters,co-coach for Fossils,co-coach for R&M, co-coach for DP
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

twig wrote: February 25th, 2020, 9:59 pm Sorry for not posting earlier, but these questions are going to be derecho themed (well three of them are)
4) What was the significance of Hurricane Maria's impact (2 weeks after Irma) on the U.S.?
(when i was watching the news 2 years ago, I saw nothing but Hurricane Harvey and Irma, so why not put it into a question)
1. A derecho is a bow echo or a series of bow echoes that has a long damage path and is big. 2. It needs a damage path of over 250 miles (400 km) and wind gusts of 58+ mph. 3. Straight-line winds, downbursts, isolated tornadoes, a bunch of scary wind stuff, hail, basically thunderstorm hazards, occasional floods, more windy bois. 4. It severely damaged Puerto Rico and the surrounding areas. 5. A hurricane watch means that the conditions for a hurricane are favorable, but a hurricane has not formed. A hurricane warning means that a hurricane is occurring or imminent.
twig

Post by twig »

DerechosRYummy wrote: February 26th, 2020, 12:00 pm
twig wrote: February 25th, 2020, 9:59 pm Sorry for not posting earlier, but these questions are going to be derecho themed (well three of them are)
1. A derecho is a bow echo or a series of bow echoes that has a long damage path and is big. 2. It needs a damage path of over 250 miles (400 km) and wind gusts of 58+ mph. 3. Straight-line winds, downbursts, isolated tornadoes, a bunch of scary wind stuff, hail, basically thunderstorm hazards, occasional floods, more windy bois. 4. It severely damaged Puerto Rico and the surrounding areas. 5. A hurricane watch means that the conditions for a hurricane are favorable, but a hurricane has not formed. A hurricane warning means that a hurricane is occurring or imminent.
1) Correct!
2) Correct!
3) Correct!
4) Correct!
5) Correct, but you were missing that the tropical cyclone has to be 74 knots in 36 hours (hurricane warning) and for watch 74 knots in expected 48 hours, otherwise, the answer would have been truely correct.

Your turn! :)
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

1. What phenomenon is often caused by thunderstorm outflows?

2. What is a hazard of dust storms?

3. Give some differences between downbursts and tornadoes.

4. What are the three main types of derechos?
IHateClouds
State: PA

Post by IHateClouds »

DerechosRYummy wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 11:07 am 1. What phenomenon is often caused by thunderstorm outflows?

1. gust front/outflow boundary
2. respiratory malfunction?
3. in tornadoes, the winds rotate and go inwards whereas with downbursts they go outwards in straight lines. downbursts form from rain-cooled air while tornadoes form due to rotation
4. hybrid, serial, progressive omg this is such a coincidence but this morning i literally woke up thinking about types of derechoes but i couldnt figure it out since i hadn't even gotten out of bed and then i was really sad lol
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

IHateClouds wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 3:24 pm
DerechosRYummy wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 11:07 am 1. What phenomenon is often caused by thunderstorm outflows?

1. gust front/outflow boundary
2. respiratory malfunction?
3. in tornadoes, the winds rotate and go inwards whereas with downbursts they go outwards in straight lines. downbursts form from rain-cooled air while tornadoes form due to rotation
4. hybrid, serial, progressive omg this is such a coincidence but this morning i literally woke up thinking about types of derechoes but i couldnt figure it out since i hadn't even gotten out of bed and then i was really sad lol
1. I was looking for haboob, but correct!

2. Ig so, I was thinking more like low visibility.

3. Correct!

4. Correct! lol nice

Your turn!

Return to “2020 Question Marathons”