Meteorology B

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
DerechosRYummy
Division: C
State: VA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by DerechosRYummy »

1. Correct! Also called a [hide]progressive derecho (about 70% of derechos are progressive).[/hide] 2. Correct! 3. Correct!

Btw, does anyone know if we're supposed to know about other things like Alberta Clippers, wildfires, and ENSO? I know they're not mentioned in the rules, but we've had some questions on them.
anandymous
State: FL

Post by anandymous »

DerechosRYummy wrote: January 19th, 2020, 2:56 pm 1. Correct! Also called a [hide]progressive derecho (about 70% of derechos are progressive).[/hide] 2. Correct! 3. Correct!

Btw, does anyone know if we're supposed to know about other things like Alberta Clippers, wildfires, and ENSO? I know they're not mentioned in the rules, but we've had some questions on them.
I feel like Alberta Clippers could be asked cuz of Everyday weather last year and its a major storm (could technically be a winter storm/blizzard), but wildfires and ENSO seem completely outside the scope of the rules imo.
Orlando Science Middle School
2020 Events: Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Meteorology, and Reach For The Stars
IHateClouds
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by IHateClouds »

anandymous wrote: January 19th, 2020, 3:07 pm I feel like Alberta Clippers could be asked cuz of Everyday weather last year and its a major storm (could technically be a winter storm/blizzard), but wildfires and ENSO seem completely outside the scope of the rules imo.
i mean wildfires seem kinda within the scope of severe weather. altho last year at regs we got like three questions about fire whirls which was kinda odd....i dont see ENSO tho..
also anandymous its your turn to ask questions :)
anandymous

Post by anandymous »

IHateClouds wrote: January 19th, 2020, 5:52 pm
anandymous wrote: January 19th, 2020, 3:07 pm I feel like Alberta Clippers could be asked cuz of Everyday weather last year and its a major storm (could technically be a winter storm/blizzard), but wildfires and ENSO seem completely outside the scope of the rules imo.
i mean wildfires seem kinda within the scope of severe weather. altho last year at regs we got like three questions about fire whirls which was kinda odd....i dont see ENSO tho..
also anandymous its your turn to ask questions :)
oh ya I forgot :lol:
1. Compare and contrast tropical and extratropical cyclones. State one similarity and one difference.
2. Describe the vertical levels of air when freezing rain occurs.
Sorry for the varying topics, couldn't think of anything else
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

anandymous wrote: January 19th, 2020, 7:30 pm oh ya I forgot :lol:
1. Compare and contrast tropical and extratropical cyclones. State one similarity and one difference.
1. tropical cyclones are near the tropics (altho not at the equator, and yes i know im creative:P) whereas extratropical cycloens are in the midlattitudes. tropical cyclones are formed from evaporation and latent heat whereas extratropical cyclones are formed from temperature contrasts. both are low pressure centers and rotate counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere.

2. up high is a cold layer where the cloud is due to its altitude where the precipitation is frozen, then it falls into a layer of warm air, melting it, and then a very thin layer of subfreezing air at the surface, supercooling the droplet, but isn't thick enough to freeze it so the hydrometeor freezes on contact with a subfreezing surface.
anandymous

Post by anandymous »

IHateClouds wrote: January 19th, 2020, 7:37 pm
anandymous wrote: January 19th, 2020, 7:30 pm oh ya I forgot :lol:
1. tropical cyclones are near the tropics (altho not at the equator, and yes i know im creative:P) whereas extratropical cycloens are in the midlattitudes. tropical cyclones are formed from evaporation and latent heat whereas extratropical cyclones are formed from temperature contrasts. both are low pressure centers and rotate counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere.

2. up high is a cold layer where the cloud is due to its altitude where the precipitation is frozen, then it falls into a layer of warm air, melting it, and then a very thin layer of subfreezing air at the surface, supercooling the droplet, but isn't thick enough to freeze it so the hydrometeor freezes on contact with a subfreezing surface.
Both correct
Your turn!
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

1. Who created the original Fujita Scale (full name)?

2. What is the fastest speed that a cold front can go?

3. What type of cloud hangs below the top of an anvil cloud and what precipitation does it produce?
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

DerechosRYummy wrote: January 20th, 2020, 6:34 am 1. Who created the original Fujita Scale (full name)?

3. What type of cloud hangs below the top of an anvil cloud and what precipitation does it produce?
1. ted fujita (or like tetsuya theodore fujita)
2. 80km/h?
3. mammatus, virga

also im pretty sure whoever answers the question is supposed to ask the next one :P
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

IHateClouds wrote: January 20th, 2020, 7:19 am
DerechosRYummy wrote: January 20th, 2020, 6:34 am 1. Who created the original Fujita Scale (full name)?

1. ted fujita (or like tetsuya theodore fujita)
2. 80km/h?
3. mammatus, virga

also im pretty sure whoever answers the question is supposed to ask the next one :P
Oh yeah big brain 100 :lol:
1. Correct!
2. Close, but my source said about 95 km/h or 60 mph. It may be wrong tho
3. Correct!
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

we <3 clouds!!!

1. what do roll clouds show?
2. how can you tell a wall and shelf cloud apart?
3. what cloud comes down from a wall cloud?

Return to “2020 Question Marathons”