Meteorology B

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
IHateClouds
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Meteorology B

Post by IHateClouds »

Locoholic wrote: January 19th, 2020, 9:13 am Alright.

1. What is the difference between a radiosonde and a rawinsonde?

2. What is the "level of free convection" in Skew-T Log-P analysis?

3. What is the typical measurement unit used in returns from reflectivity data? (The strength of the signal coming back to the radar)

And yes, I am from Longfellow!
1. a rawinosonde is a type of radiosonde that measures wind velocity, pressure, temp and relative humidity.
2. so like i had to look at my cheat sheet from last year b u t where theres instability since air is warmer than the air around it which leads to lifting, possibly forming clouds and thunderstorms
3. decibels/dBZ
Locoholic
State: VA

Post by Locoholic »

IHateClouds wrote: January 19th, 2020, 9:40 am
Locoholic wrote: January 19th, 2020, 9:13 am Alright.

1. What is the difference between a radiosonde and a rawinsonde?

2. What is the "level of free convection" in Skew-T Log-P analysis?

3. What is the typical measurement unit used in returns from reflectivity data? (The strength of the signal coming back to the radar)

And yes, I am from Longfellow!
1. a rawinosonde is a type of radiosonde that measures wind velocity, pressure, temp and relative humidity.
2. so like i had to look at my cheat sheet from last year b u t where theres instability since air is warmer than the air around it which leads to lifting, possibly forming clouds and thunderstorms
3. decibels/dBZ
1. Close, but I'm pretty sure the term "Rawinsonde" refers to an observation rather than a specific instrument. A rawinsonde scan measures the components in your answer. 2. Your answer is actually correct for a different term, CAPE. The LFC is the exact point where the air becomes warmer than the air around it. 3. Correct! Your turn!
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Meteo, RFTS

NCS/L. Braddock/Rustin/Harvard/Regionals/States/Nats (nvm RIP)

Anatomy :( - 5/1/8/1/3/?
Crime Busters - 2/1/1/1/1/?
Meteo - 1/2/2/1/1/?
RFTS - 1/1/2/1/1/?
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

Locoholic wrote: January 19th, 2020, 9:55 am 1. Close, but I'm pretty sure the term "Rawinsonde" refers to an observation rather than a specific instrument. A rawinsonde scan measures the components in your answer. 2. Your answer is actually correct for a different term, CAPE. The LFC is the exact point where the air becomes warmer than the air around it. 3. Correct! Your turn!
Cool!

1. Why is an urban flood dangerous? (as in, what makes it unique)
2. How much water is needed to knock a person off their feet? A car? A truck? (height of running water)
3. After the flood, what would be a major concern about the flood water? (not drinking water)
Locoholic

Post by Locoholic »

IHateClouds wrote: January 19th, 2020, 11:23 am
Locoholic wrote: January 19th, 2020, 9:55 am 1. Close, but I'm pretty sure the term "Rawinsonde" refers to an observation rather than a specific instrument. A rawinsonde scan measures the components in your answer. 2. Your answer is actually correct for a different term, CAPE. The LFC is the exact point where the air becomes warmer than the air around it. 3. Correct! Your turn!
Cool!

1. Why is an urban flood dangerous? (as in, what makes it unique)
2. How much water is needed to knock a person off their feet? A car? A truck? (height of running water)
3. After the flood, what would be a major concern about the flood water? (not drinking water)
1. Not really sure, but maybe it's that water drainage & supply systems are affected, so spontaneous flooding may occur in buildings. 2. 1/2 feet, 1 foot, 2 feet. 3. Not sure, but maybe it's that the flood water damages water pipes? I'd like to see the answers to these!

Meteo - 1/2/2/1/1/?
RFTS - 1/1/2/1/1/?
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

Locoholic wrote: January 19th, 2020, 12:12 pm 1. Not really sure, but maybe it's that water drainage & supply systems are affected, so spontaneous flooding may occur in buildings. 2. 1/2 feet, 1 foot, 2 feet. 3. Not sure, but maybe it's that the flood water damages water pipes? I'd like to see the answers to these!
1. I was going for the roads don't allow infiltration which can mean water builds up quickly and moves rapidly. they wet houses->mold->respiratory problems and around 40% of small businesses don't reopen after flooding.
2. i should have specified, but to clarify, one foot will float a normal car, but only 6 inches is needed for loss of control
3. the still water may be comntamiated with sewage and chemicals.

your turn!
Locoholic

Post by Locoholic »

1. What is "riming", and what type of precipitation is it most closely related to?

2. What is the difference between snow squalls and blowing snow?

3. Why can virga be dangerous?

Meteo - 1/2/2/1/1/?
RFTS - 1/1/2/1/1/?
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

Locoholic wrote: January 19th, 2020, 1:42 pm 1. What is "riming", and what type of precipitation is it most closely related to?

1. riming is when supercooled water collides with frozen precipitation, freezing on contact. its associated with graupel.
2. snow squalls are like blizzards but have less widespread effects and less snow. blowing snow reduces visibility and has no actual precipitation.
3. its dangeorus to airplanes and can ice a plane, making it heavier and changing its shape. its also associated with thunderstorms
Locoholic

Post by Locoholic »

IHateClouds wrote: January 19th, 2020, 1:59 pm
Locoholic wrote: January 19th, 2020, 1:42 pm 1. What is "riming", and what type of precipitation is it most closely related to?

1. riming is when supercooled water collides with frozen precipitation, freezing on contact. its associated with graupel.
2. snow squalls are like blizzards but have less widespread effects and less snow. blowing snow reduces visibility and has no actual precipitation.
3. its dangeorus to airplanes and can ice a plane, making it heavier and changing its shape. its also associated with thunderstorms
1. Correct
2. I'll take it, I would add that snow squalls are brief but intense. 3. It is dangerous to airplanes, but not for the reason you say. Virga causes a cold downdraft, and in some cases this downdraft may descend rapidly to create a microburst, which can throw planes off course. Your turn!

Meteo - 1/2/2/1/1/?
RFTS - 1/1/2/1/1/?
DerechosRYummy
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DerechosRYummy »

Lol I'm Locoholic's Meteo partner.

Anyways...
1. What is the most common type of derecho?
2. What causes a lake effect snowstorm to occur (in relation to the lake and air)?
3. What is a wind that follows isobar contours called?

Locoholic don't answer these I already gave them to you.

Also, although virga can cause microbursts which throw planes off course, they can also dent the plane as said before.
anandymous
State: FL

Post by anandymous »

DerechosRYummy wrote: January 19th, 2020, 2:29 pm Lol I'm Locoholic's Meteo partner.

Anyways...
1. What is the most common type of derecho?
2. What causes a lake effect snowstorm to occur (in relation to the lake and air)?
3. What is a wind that follows isobar contours called?

Locoholic don't answer these I already gave them to you.

Also, although virga can cause microbursts which throw planes off course, they can also dent the plane as said before.
1. multi-bow derecho 2. It occurs when cold air moves over warmer lake water 3. geostrophic wind?
Orlando Science Middle School
2020 Events: Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Meteorology, and Reach For The Stars

Return to “2020 Question Marathons”