Reach for the Stars B

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
anandymous
Division: C
State: FL

Re: Reach for the Stars B

Post by anandymous »

Locoholic wrote: January 20th, 2020, 1:07 pm
anandymous wrote: January 20th, 2020, 12:00 pm 1. synchrotron radiation is released in bursts (small time period) while cyclotron radiation is released in cycles of varying amounts??? just a guess lol 2. M 3. M
1. Synchrotron radiation has relativistic particles (fast bois) and cyclotron radiation is not relativistic. 2. O. I know, pretty counter-intuitive. 3. Correct!

Your Turn!
Ohhhh I did emission lines that makes sense why its O.
1. What is a blackbody?
2. Would a blackbody at 3000 Kelvin release more or less energy at 300 Hertz than a blackbody at 4000 Kelvin at the same frequency?
3. What law is used to find the answer to the previous question?
Orlando Science Middle School
2020 Events: Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Meteorology, and Reach For The Stars
Locoholic
State: VA

Post by Locoholic »

anandymous wrote: January 20th, 2020, 12:00 pm Ohhhh I did emission lines that makes sense why its O.
1. What is a blackbody?
2. Would a blackbody at 3000 Kelvin release more or less energy at 300 Hertz than a blackbody at 4000 Kelvin at the same frequency?
3. What law is used to find the answer to the previous question?
1. An object that eats (absorbs) all energy that happens to come across it. Mmmm tasty. 2. Less. 3. Planck's Radiation Law. Also, do we need to know things like Planck's constant or Planck's equation? Or is that out of the scope of RFTS? Because right now, I use Wien's law for calculations and I only have Planck's law as the statement that the curve of emission in a blackbody of a given temperature is always higher than the curve of a blackbody of a lower temperature.
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Meteo, RFTS

NCS/L. Braddock/Rustin/Harvard/Regionals/States/Nats (nvm RIP)

Anatomy :( - 5/1/8/1/3/?
Crime Busters - 2/1/1/1/1/?
Meteo - 1/2/2/1/1/?
RFTS - 1/1/2/1/1/?
anandymous

Post by anandymous »

Locoholic wrote: January 20th, 2020, 4:48 pm 1. An object that eats (absorbs) all energy that happens to come across it. Mmmm tasty. 2. Less. 3. Planck's Radiation Law. Also, do we need to know things like Planck's constant or Planck's equation? Or is that out of the scope of RFTS? Because right now, I use Wien's law for calculations and I only have Planck's law as the statement that the curve of emission in a blackbody of a given temperature is always higher than the curve of a blackbody of a lower temperature.
1. lol ure answer correct 2. correct 3. correct Personally, I don't think Planck's Law's formula should or will be used as A. its kinda complicated and B. im not even sure if were supposed to do calculations with stuff like Wien's Law or Stefan-Boltzmann's Law (those are pretty easy so ig they r ok). But like the definition of Planck's law I feel is within the scope of the event. Although one could argue that no radiation laws should be allowed cuz they arent really in the rules, they come up all the time so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Your turn!
Locoholic

Post by Locoholic »

anandymous wrote: January 20th, 2020, 7:19 pm
Locoholic wrote: January 20th, 2020, 4:48 pm 1. An object that eats (absorbs) all energy that happens to come across it. Mmmm tasty. 2. Less. 3. Planck's Radiation Law. Also, do we need to know things like Planck's constant or Planck's equation? Or is that out of the scope of RFTS? Because right now, I use Wien's law for calculations and I only have Planck's law as the statement that the curve of emission in a blackbody of a given temperature is always higher than the curve of a blackbody of a lower temperature.
1. lol ure answer correct 2. correct 3. correct Personally, I don't think Planck's Law's formula should or will be used as A. its kinda complicated and B. im not even sure if were supposed to do calculations with stuff like Wien's Law or Stefan-Boltzmann's Law (those are pretty easy so ig they r ok). But like the definition of Planck's law I feel is within the scope of the event. Although one could argue that no radiation laws should be allowed cuz they arent really in the rules, they come up all the time so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Your turn!
Thanks! The rules mention "relationship between stellar temperature, radius, and luminosity", which is Stefan's Law. Wien's Law & Planck's Law are not mentioned, but I bet they are in previous years' rules because they show up on a lot of practice tests. They're also in Scioly's Wiki for RFTS.

Anyways...

Stellar Evolution

1. Why do low-mass stars live the longest?
2. What is the "turn-off point"?
3. What is name for the class of evolved, massive stars that have completely lost their outer hydrogen and are usually type O?

Meteo - 1/2/2/1/1/?
RFTS - 1/1/2/1/1/?
anandymous

Post by anandymous »

Locoholic wrote: January 20th, 2020, 7:29 pm
anandymous wrote: January 20th, 2020, 7:19 pm
Your turn!
Thanks! The rules mention "relationship between stellar temperature, radius, and luminosity", which is Stefan's Law. Wien's Law & Planck's Law are not mentioned, but I bet they are in previous years' rules because they show up on a lot of practice tests. They're also in Scioly's Wiki for RFTS.

Anyways...

Stellar Evolution

1. Why do low-mass stars live the longest?
2. What is the "turn-off point"?
3. What is name for the class of evolved, massive stars that have completely lost their outer hydrogen and are usually type O?
1. Low mass stars live the longest because they fuse hydrogen at such a low rate that the fact they have less fuel is nullified. 2. The turn off point is the point where a star leaves the main sequence and stops fusing hydrogen 3. Blue Supergiants
Locoholic

Post by Locoholic »

anandymous wrote: January 20th, 2020, 7:34 pm
1. Low mass stars live the longest because they fuse hydrogen at such a low rate that the fact they have less fuel is nullified. 2. The turn off point is the point where a star leaves the main sequence and stops fusing hydrogen 3. Blue Supergiants
1. Correct!
2. Correct!
3. Was looking for Wolf-Rayet Stars (type of highly evolved massive star), but your answer is close.

Your turn!

Meteo - 1/2/2/1/1/?
RFTS - 1/1/2/1/1/?
anandymous

Post by anandymous »

Locoholic wrote: January 20th, 2020, 7:44 pm
1. Correct!
2. Correct!
3. Was looking for Wolf-Rayet Stars (type of highly evolved massive star), but your answer is close.

Your turn!
1. What type of binary is Algol?
2. Explain the Algol Paradox?
Im running out of ideas. :?:
Locoholic

Post by Locoholic »

anandymous wrote: January 20th, 2020, 7:34 pm 1. What type of binary is Algol?
Lol it's fine.
1. Eclipsing binary, spectroscopic binary. 2. Pretty sure it asks how the younger star in the Algol system is more massive. It can be explained by mass transfer.

Meteo - 1/2/2/1/1/?
RFTS - 1/1/2/1/1/?
anandymous

Post by anandymous »

Locoholic wrote: January 20th, 2020, 7:57 pm
anandymous wrote: January 20th, 2020, 7:34 pm 1. What type of binary is Algol?
Lol it's fine.
1. Eclipsing binary, spectroscopic binary. 2. Pretty sure it asks how the younger star in the Algol system is more massive. It can be explained by mass transfer.
1. correct 2. sorta its when the less massive star is more evolved, u are right that its due to mass transfer Your Turn!
Locoholic

Post by Locoholic »

1. correct 2. sorta its when the less massive star is more evolved, u are right that its due to mass transfer Your Turn!
Alright.

Spectroscopy

1. What does the width of a spectral emission or absorption line show?

2. How can someone conclude if a system is binary through spectroscopy?

3. Where does the H-alpha line occur?

Meteo - 1/2/2/1/1/?
RFTS - 1/1/2/1/1/?

Return to “2020 Question Marathons”