Road Scholar

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
PKinakin
State: FL

Road Scholar

Post by PKinakin »

Welcome!

I'm a past coach for road scholar. Our team has done very well in past competitions and I am encouraged to help other teams. Each week I will attempt to post a question or two. They could be anything, from a past invitational to having to draw a map to a bearing / azimuth question.The next week I will write the answer with the explanation of how to do it. When you answer, I want it in this format:

Question: _________________________________________________________

Answer:_________________

Explanation:__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Have fun!
PKinakin
These users thanked the author PKinakin for the post:
ScoutViolet (October 30th, 2020, 6:52 pm)
PKinakin

Re: Road Scholar

Post by PKinakin »

1.) Find the bearing if I have an azimuth of 205°
DerechosRYummy
Division: C
State: VA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DerechosRYummy »

Thanks for taking the time to give us questions!

Question: Find the bearing if I have an azimuth of 205°

Answer: S25ºW

Explanantion: Since the azimuth is between 90º and 270º, you know it's going to be South. Therefore, you can subtract the 180º from 205º to get 25º. Now, since we know that 205º is greater than 180º, we know that it'll be a West bearing. Therefore, the answer will be written as S25ºW, or 25º West of South.

Also, do you have any recommendations for practicing satellite maps? Most of our tests that we've taken haven't had any satellite map questions on them, so is it a good idea to just make each other practice questions for them?

Thanks!
anandymous

Post by anandymous »

DerechosRYummy wrote: January 19th, 2020, 3:10 pm Thanks for taking the time to give us questions!

Explanantion: Since the azimuth is between 90º and 270º, you know it's going to be South. Therefore, you can subtract the 180º from 205º to get 25º. Now, since we know that 205º is greater than 180º, we know that it'll be a West bearing. Therefore, the answer will be written as S25ºW, or 25º West of South.

Also, do you have any recommendations for practicing satellite maps? Most of our tests that we've taken haven't had any satellite map questions on them, so is it a good idea to just make each other practice questions for them?

Thanks!
Obviously, the five points in the rules for satellite maps should be studied and practiced for.
Most tests that have satellite images (that I've seen/taken) will definitely ask for the time of day the image was taken, so I'd suggest at least knowing how to do that (has to do with the shadows)

Also, making practice questions is a good idea in general for studying.
Orlando Science Middle School
2020 Events: Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Meteorology, and Reach For The Stars
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

anandymous wrote: January 19th, 2020, 3:26 pm
DerechosRYummy wrote: January 19th, 2020, 3:10 pm Thanks for taking the time to give us questions!

Thanks!
Obviously, the five points in the rules for satellite maps should be studied and practiced for.
Most tests that have satellite images (that I've seen/taken) will definitely ask for the time of day the image was taken, so I'd suggest at least knowing how to do that (has to do with the shadows)

Yeah, I'll be sure to tell my team to make practice tests, since it worked in Meteorology.

Thanks!
anandymous

Post by anandymous »

DerechosRYummy wrote: January 19th, 2020, 9:12 pm
anandymous wrote: January 19th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Thanks!

Yeah, I'll be sure to tell my team to make practice tests, since it worked in Meteorology.

Thanks!
Easier said than done :lol: ....
Tho that might just be my team being the slightest bit lazy
PKinakin

Orlando Science? Seriously?

Post by PKinakin »

Orlando Science School... some of our biggest rivals. I was from Fulton Science Academy. Where I taught Road Scholar, Meteorology, Experimental Design, WIDI, and Heredity. But good luck, and...

May the odds be EVER in your favor!

Even though I still prefer Fulton Science! ;)
Last edited by PKinakin on January 29th, 2020, 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
PKinakin

Post by PKinakin »

1. What is a quadrangle?
2. What is a neat line?
3. Is longitude:
a. vertical?
b. or horizontal
anandymous

Re: Orlando Science? Seriously?

Post by anandymous »

PKinakin wrote: January 29th, 2020, 6:00 am Orlando Science School... some of our biggest rivals. I was from Fulton Science Academy. Where I taught Road Scholar, Meteorology, Experimental Design, WIDI, and Heredity. But good luck, and...

May the odds be EVER in your favor!

Even though I still prefer Fulton Science! ;)
Bruhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :lol:
I know your true school. ;)
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

PKinakin wrote: January 29th, 2020, 6:05 am 1. What is a quadrangle?
2. What is a neat line?
3. Is longitude:
a. vertical?
b. or horizontal
1. A quadrangle is a USGS map that is usually shown on a 7.5 minute scale 2. A neat line is the horizontal or vertical straight border of a quad 3. Lines of longitude are vertical I'm gonna just be the Virginian who watches both of you fight...

Return to “2020 Question Marathons”