Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Chemistry Lab C

Post by pikachu4919 »

Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Post by Jacobi »

OK - We seriously have to bring this entire list of materials??!! https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... p_DivC.pdf

That's insane.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Jacobi wrote:OK - We seriously have to bring this entire list of materials??!! https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... p_DivC.pdf

That's insane.
I get the strong impression that someone assumed teams would be able to use different sizes interchangeably, when... in practice having all of them is going to be needed.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Unome wrote:
Jacobi wrote:OK - We seriously have to bring this entire list of materials??!! https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... p_DivC.pdf

That's insane.
I get the strong impression that someone assumed teams would be able to use different sizes interchangeably, when... in practice having all of them is going to be needed.
While a similar requirement has been in place for Forensics for many years, this is a substantial change. I don't think it has been given much attention: I just noticed it myself. I think it will be burdensome to teams who are travelling by air...
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

Unome wrote:

That's insane.
In practice, how am I going to explain to my Chemistry teacher that I need to borrow all this lab equipment for the entire school year?
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Jacobi wrote:
Unome wrote:

That's insane.
In practice, how am I going to explain to my Chemistry teacher that I need to borrow all this lab equipment for the entire school year?
If you are a student, I would work with your coach on securing the appropriate equipment. It might make sense for the club/team to acquire a set of supplies that it takes to competition rather than have individual students borrowing supplies from a chemistry teacher. If you have the financial resources, Ward Science will be releasing a kit shortly that should include all the needed items. However, its definitely possible to put together your own kit for substantially less. Your school might even be willing to donate the supplies.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
Jacobi wrote:
Unome wrote: I get the strong impression that someone assumed teams would be able to use different sizes interchangeably, when... in practice having all of them is going to be needed.
If you are a student, I would work with your coach on securing the appropriate equipment. It might make sense for the club/team to acquire a set of supplies that it takes to competition rather than have individual students borrowing supplies from a chemistry teacher. If you have the financial resources, Ward Science will be releasing a kit shortly that should include all the needed items. However, its definitely possible to put together your own kit for substantially less. Your school might even be willing to donate the supplies.
Thank you.
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

Just a quick progress check... how far along are your teams in learning the curriculum? My team, we're almost done with Physical Properties, and we're planning to have Acids and Bases done by the end of November.
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Jacobi wrote:Just a quick progress check... how far along are your teams in learning the curriculum? My team, we're almost done with Physical Properties, and we're planning to have Acids and Bases done by the end of November.
If this is about curriculum for chemistry classes: all schools proceed through their respective curricula at different paces and definitely also in different orders in which topics are learned. For example, some may learn physical properties before acids/bases, some may do the opposite. I remember I didn't have my acids/bases unit in AP Chem at my school until second semester (I think) of that school year. Some may do it the same, some may not.

By all means you're entitled to whatever curriculum and pace you want if you're putting on a crash course to be used within your SciOly team, but it may be an entirely different case if this is for a standard class like Chem, Honors Chem, AP Chem, IB Chem, or whatever other forms of high school chemistry courses that exist nowadays.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!

MY CABBAGES!
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

pikachu4919 wrote:
Jacobi wrote:Just a quick progress check... how far along are your teams in learning the curriculum? My team, we're almost done with Physical Properties, and we're planning to have Acids and Bases done by the end of November.
If this is about curriculum for chemistry classes: all schools proceed through their respective curricula at different paces and definitely also in different orders in which topics are learned. For example, some may learn physical properties before acids/bases, some may do the opposite. I remember I didn't have my acids/bases unit in AP Chem at my school until second semester (I think) of that school year. Some may do it the same, some may not.

By all means you're entitled to whatever curriculum and pace you want if you're putting on a crash course to be used within your SciOly team, but it may be an entirely different case if this is for a standard class like Chem, Honors Chem, AP Chem, IB Chem, or whatever other forms of high school chemistry courses that exist nowadays.
I was more talking about crash coursing within a SciOly team.

Return to “2019 Lab Events”