Protein Modeling C

adaline16
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by adaline16 »

Hi Everyone,
Every time I have submitted my pre-built, I have been docked points because my model doesn't "look like a triangle" and all secondary structures aren't compact in placement." Does anyone have any idea what the proctor could possibly mean, especially with the triangular shape? Thanks.
huppada
Division: C
State: FL

Post by huppada »

adaline16 wrote:Hi Everyone,
Every time I have submitted my pre-built, I have been docked points because my model doesn't "look like a triangle" and all secondary structures aren't compact in placement." Does anyone have any idea what the proctor could possibly mean, especially with the triangular shape? Thanks.
I think the overall structure should somewhat make a triangular shape when looking at it from the side. This kind of makes sense if you imagine the beta sheet forming the base of the triangle, and the second and third alpha helices crossing over in a way to represent the other sides of the triangle.
Orlando Science Schools '20
2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Forensics, Protein Modeling
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

huppada wrote:
I think the overall structure should somewhat make a triangular shape when looking at it from the side. This kind of makes sense if you imagine the beta sheet forming the base of the triangle, and the second and third alpha helices crossing over in a way to represent the other sides of the triangle.
Is this what you mean? I know that I spent a lot of time trying to get this right.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
huppada
State: FL

Post by huppada »

CookiePie1 wrote:
huppada wrote:
Is this what you mean? I know that I spent a lot of time trying to get this right.
Ya I think the triangle shape would be better seen if you orient the protein so the yellow beta sheet is at the bottom and the helices are on the top half.
Also, side note, reducing the thickness of the backbone may make it easier on the eyes :)
Orlando Science Schools '20
2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Forensics, Protein Modeling
TpRelic
Has thanked: 0

Post by TpRelic »

Hi, and thank you beforehand.
First, Is it worth writing down "AcrIIA4 is represented with yellow tubing" or ordering of the secondary structures on the notecard?
Second, I've accepted that my craftsmanship is rather lackluster,
Image - https://imgur.com/h1z8L6g
Is it okay I forgo points on the structure?
(I removed everything else from the model... it looks so bare as just tubing...)
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CookiePie1 »

TpRelic wrote:Hi, and thank you beforehand.
First, Is it worth writing down "AcrIIA4 is represented with yellow tubing" or ordering of the secondary structures on the notecard?
Second, I've accepted that my craftsmanship is rather lackluster,
Image - https://imgur.com/h1z8L6g
Is it okay I forgo points on the structure?
(I removed everything else from the model... it looks so bare as just tubing...)
1. Writing the color of AcrIIA4 is good only if you have other structures in your model. Order of secondary structures is based on the model, not what you write.
2. Most of your points will be earned from having a structure as accurate as possible, which is more important than creative additions. As a general rule of thumb, if you know you'll lose points, don't just leave it like that. Try to make it the best you can.
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

-Albert Einstein
Birdmusic
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Birdmusic »

Help, we have a bit more until a week before states, and turns out I need to sub for this event and learn some thoery (I don't have to help w the actual modelling or whatever that parts about). What would you guys recommend? They linked me to a video, their notes, and khanacademy. Is there anything I need to know about this event?
I like birds.
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5595222/
is a pretty good source. It's a bit information rich
Knowing a ton about the amino acids and how they influence protein structure (as well as their groups ex: aliphatic group/helix breakers) is very important. Get a chart of those (groups) on your notes.
AP Chem/Bio knowledge is important (in the areas that relate to this).
And finally the prebuild and onsite will be hard if you don't know how to use the program. Watch some tutorials, and this :https://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/docs/? ... odelobject can be useful (but only once you've watched some tutorials as its mainly just a documentation of commands).
Birdmusic
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Birdmusic »

JoeyC wrote:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5595222/
Knowing a ton about the amino acids and how they influence protein structure (as well as their groups ex: aliphatic group/helix breakers) is very important. Get a chart of those (groups) on your notes.
And finally the prebuild and onsite will be hard if you don't know how to use the program. Watch some tutorials, and this :https://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/docs/? ... odelobject can be useful (but only once you've watched some tutorials as its mainly just a documentation of commands).
Thank you!
I like birds.
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CookiePie1 »

Birdmusic wrote:
JoeyC wrote:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5595222/
Thank you!
I also reccomend checking out as much as you can here: http://cbm.msoe.edu/scienceOlympiad/
It has a lot of information, and is great especially since you're just starting.

-Albert Einstein

Return to “2019 Lab Events”