Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by nicholasmaurer »

freed2003 wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
freed2003 wrote:Does anyone know if we still have to study general protein knowledge for the test? On the rules it just states the test will have questions specific to the onsite protein, CRISPR, and protein folding.
3.III.b.i does not limit itself to CRISPR Cas9
But it does limit itself to protein folding(specifically the process that drive it) where past test contained more general protein questions(such as "what amino acid contains sulfur?")
True. I do expect fewer general knowledge questions than in past iterations of this event. However, it is hard to discuss the chemistry of protein folding with knowing that methionine contains sulfur and is responsible for disulfide bonds. There are lots of indirect areas of proteins that are required to address protein folding. But this should still be much narrower than the previous rules allowed, where tests often became collections of random trivia.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
luanne
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by luanne »

So all the extra knowledge we are suppose to know is going to be posted on the MSOE website? or is there an outside source that is also useful?
avatar: face on fridays and when electric vehicle caught on fire
assassinator #126
luanne

Post by luanne »

but to get this straight: to get what we are suppose to be modeling for the prebuild, in Jmol the command should be restrict 1-85 then restrict :b
correct?
assassinator #126
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

luanne wrote:but to get this straight: to get what we are suppose to be modeling for the prebuild, in Jmol the command should be restrict 1-85 then restrict :b
correct?
worked for me
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
luanne

Post by luanne »

platypusomelette wrote:I've been doing "display 1-85 and not dna" but I still end up with one DNA strand. Has anyone been able to isolate it yet?
late response but if u do "restrict :b" and "restrict 1-85" it should just give you the backbone
assassinator #126
saioly

Post by saioly »

on the rules, it is said that we need to be able to answer questions based on the on-site build as well. based on how protein modeling went in 2015 there was a learning module on cbm.msoe.edu. that site hasn't been updated with this year's model yet, so does anyone know when it will be updated?

thanks
luanne

Post by luanne »

saioly wrote:on the rules, it is said that we need to be able to answer questions based on the on-site build as well. based on how protein modeling went in 2015 there was a learning module on cbm.msoe.edu. that site hasn't been updated with this year's model yet, so does anyone know when it will be updated?

thanks
well, we just typically wait and see lol
but i expect it to be up by next month, becuase invitationals start soon
But if you want to get a head start on general knowledge there is the past event page.. just ignore the material that is protein-specific.
http://cbm.msoe.edu/scienceOlympiad/mod ... /index.php
assassinator #126
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

luanne wrote:
saioly wrote:on the rules, it is said that we need to be able to answer questions based on the on-site build as well. based on how protein modeling went in 2015 there was a learning module on cbm.msoe.edu. that site hasn't been updated with this year's model yet, so does anyone know when it will be updated?

thanks
well, we just typically wait and see lol
but i expect it to be up by next month, becuase invitationals start soon
But if you want to get a head start on general knowledge there is the past event page.. just ignore the material that is protein-specific.
http://cbm.msoe.edu/scienceOlympiad/mod ... /index.php
Rules clarification was posted today. Apparently we're building the Anti-CRISPR protein instead...
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
freed2003 wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
3.III.b.i does not limit itself to CRISPR Cas9
But it does limit itself to protein folding(specifically the process that drive it) where past test contained more general protein questions(such as "what amino acid contains sulfur?")
True. I do expect fewer general knowledge questions than in past iterations of this event. However, it is hard to discuss the chemistry of protein folding with knowing that methionine contains sulfur and is responsible for disulfide bonds. There are lots of indirect areas of proteins that are required to address protein folding. But this should still be much narrower than the previous rules allowed, where tests often became collections of random trivia.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that methionine can have disulfide bonds - are you referring to cysteine?
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!

Return to “2019 Lab Events”