Protein Modeling C

TheMysteriousMapMan
Division: C
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by TheMysteriousMapMan »

eagerlearner102 wrote:There is an awesome video here to memorize the 20 amino acids properties and categories + abbreviations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m130s94pMjE

Once you memorize that, you have a basic understanding.
You should also have a good understanding of how DNA works.
For an interactive CRISPR, that can be found here:
https://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/cri ... plications
Hope that helps! Good luck!
eagerlearner102 wrote:Go on http://cbm.msoe.edu/scienceOlympiad/ to get a good foundation on CRISPR. Once you are able to lecture about CRISPR, read the 2 research papers in DETAIL. I mean in detail as in know the exact residues, knowing which domains, and perhaps the methods they used in the research paper (SEC, enzymatic assays, etc.) Focus on the Yang and Patel research paper more on the other one because I took around 5 practice tests and there was more weight on the Yang and Patel one.
For the harder ones like MIT invitational that I practiced on, I noticed that these concepts were literally found on Klein Organic Chemistry textbook chapter 25 for amino acids. I also read MIT OCW lecture notes 5.07 and 7.012 about it just to get a better understanding.
Thanks! This looks like it will really help!
2020 Events: Astronomy, Experimental Design, Detector Building, Ornithology, Sounds of Music.

Unsuccessful Assassinator of Game 143.

eagerlearner102

Post by eagerlearner102 »

For the on site build is it on MSOE or do they use the JMOL program? If it is the JMOL program, isn't it the same functions as MSOE?
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

eagerlearner102 wrote:For the on site build is it on MSOE or do they use the JMOL program? If it is the JMOL program, isn't it the same functions as MSOE?
It's an either/or. The syntax is the same, so it shouldn't be an issue either way. I think the jmol offline version is meant to be a backup.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
eagerlearner102

For experienced Protein Modeling people, how did you manage to finish building the on site protein within the time limit while maintaining accuracy? Our group didn't practice a lot and seems to be a bit slow.
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

You practice a lot. Usually, the main problem I have is running out of material (because I make sections too big), but I can just refold the protein tighter in ~5 minutes. Speed is the key; trying to get it perfect the first time is usually a lost cause (for me at least). Also, only one person should be folding it, and only one.
banilmd
State: CA
Has thanked: 0

Post by banilmd »

eagerlearner102 wrote:Did any of your regionals say that the prebuild is not even counted as part of the score? I am participating in the Bay Area regional on March 2nd and the director said that it wouldn't be considered. I feel so upset because my partners and I spent quite a bit of time on it.
I just competed at my regional competition, and the pre-build was taken out completely for us as well.
freed2003
State: CA

Post by freed2003 »

It wasn't removed for regionals, but it has been for socal state
does anyone know the rationale behind it? Im guessing it's cause having something prebuild be so much of your score is kinda unfair
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
eagerlearner102

TheMysteriousMapMan wrote:
eagerlearner102 wrote:There is an awesome video here to memorize the 20 amino acids properties and categories + abbreviations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m130s94pMjE

Once you memorize that, you have a basic understanding.
You should also have a good understanding of how DNA works.
For an interactive CRISPR, that can be found here:
https://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/cri ... plications
Hope that helps! Good luck!
eagerlearner102 wrote:Go on http://cbm.msoe.edu/scienceOlympiad/ to get a good foundation on CRISPR. Once you are able to lecture about CRISPR, read the 2 research papers in DETAIL. I mean in detail as in know the exact residues, knowing which domains, and perhaps the methods they used in the research paper (SEC, enzymatic assays, etc.) Focus on the Yang and Patel research paper more on the other one because I took around 5 practice tests and there was more weight on the Yang and Patel one.
For the harder ones like MIT invitational that I practiced on, I noticed that these concepts were literally found on Klein Organic Chemistry textbook chapter 25 for amino acids. I also read MIT OCW lecture notes 5.07 and 7.012 about it just to get a better understanding.
Thanks! This looks like it will really help!
Also study RNA structure so you know the difference. that was on the regional test for me as well as knowing JMOL pretty well.
voisinet22
Has thanked: 0

Post by voisinet22 »

banilmd wrote:
eagerlearner102 wrote:Did any of your regionals say that the prebuild is not even counted as part of the score? I am participating in the Bay Area regional on March 2nd and the director said that it wouldn't be considered. I feel so upset because my partners and I spent quite a bit of time on it.
I just competed at my regional competition, and the pre-build was taken out completely for us as well.
Where are you finding that it is/isn't included in your regionals? Seems strange to include it in invites but not regionals..
TheMysteriousMapMan

Post by TheMysteriousMapMan »

Thanks eagerlearner and all for the info! What would you recommend I put on my cheat sheet, and what would you recommend I memorize?
2020 Events: Astronomy, Experimental Design, Detector Building, Ornithology, Sounds of Music.

Unsuccessful Assassinator of Game 143.

Return to “2019 Lab Events”