Crime Busters B

Rivkaaa
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by Rivkaaa »

For anyone who has been to states before and has competed in Crime Busters, how intense were the powders? How many of them were 3-powder mixtures?
2018 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Microbe Mission
2019 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Water Quality
Bay Academy
Crimesolver
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Crimesolver »

Rivkaaa wrote:For anyone who has been to states before and has competed in Crime Busters, how intense were the powders? How many of them were 3-powder mixtures?
AHHAHAHA it wasn’t the mixtures, it was the workload. When I went to states, they gave us the maximum amount of powders, probably two mixtures, a decent amount of metals and liquids, flame testing for fibers, density test for plastics, microscope for hairs, and another section for fingerprints and chromatography. And of course, a long ananlysis to accompany this info. It was so rough, even the best teams couldn’t finish. But obviously, this might be different at your state. Just remember to be extremely effcient and be able to trust your partner, because if you have a big work load, you’re not gonna have time to check each other’s answers.
Keep on going :)
Rivkaaa

Post by Rivkaaa »

Crimesolver wrote:
Rivkaaa wrote:For anyone who has been to states before and has competed in Crime Busters, how intense were the powders? How many of them were 3-powder mixtures?
AHHAHAHA it wasn’t the mixtures, it was the workload. When I went to states, they gave us the maximum amount of powders, probably two mixtures, a decent amount of metals and liquids, flame testing for fibers, density test for plastics, microscope for hairs, and another section for fingerprints and chromatography. And of course, a long ananlysis to accompany this info. It was so rough, even the best teams couldn’t finish. But obviously, this might be different at your state. Just remember to be extremely effcient and be able to trust your partner, because if you have a big work load, you’re not gonna have time to check each other’s answers.
Thank you! We usually don't check each other's answers, as there is rarely much time left, but we're accustomed to a huge workload, so we'll probably be fine.
Bay Academy
wec01
Division: Grad
State: VA

Post by wec01 »

Rivkaaa wrote:
Crimesolver wrote:
Thank you! We usually don't check each other's answers, as there is rarely much time left, but we're accustomed to a huge workload, so we'll probably be fine.
Yeah, I agree. Crime busters and forensics tend to be more about the length of the test than the difficulty of the content so just work fast and try not to dwell on anything.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
Rivkaaa

Post by Rivkaaa »

wec01 wrote:
Rivkaaa wrote:
Crimesolver wrote: AHHAHAHA it wasn’t the mixtures, it was the workload. When I went to states, they gave us the maximum amount of powders, probably two mixtures, a decent amount of metals and liquids, flame testing for fibers, density test for plastics, microscope for hairs, and another section for fingerprints and chromatography. And of course, a long ananlysis to accompany this info. It was so rough, even the best teams couldn’t finish. But obviously, this might be different at your state. Just remember to be extremely effcient and be able to trust your partner, because if you have a big work load, you’re not gonna have time to check each other’s answers.
Yeah, I agree. Crime busters and forensics tend to be more about the length of the test than the difficulty of the content so just work fast and try not to dwell on anything.
Pretty much. We just got used to running around and finishing the whole test (including the analysis) and only then checking over, if we have time after cleaning up. However, if either of us is particularly stuck on something, we ask the other for a quick second to check it out.
Bay Academy
FiveW's
Division: C
State: IN

Post by FiveW's »

Is the iodine most likely going to be clear or will it have that reddish color at nationals? And can any color of Iodine be used or does it have to be a specific color?
Avocado's Law
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CPScienceDude »

FiveW's wrote:Is the iodine most likely going to be clear or will it have that reddish color at nationals? And can any color of Iodine be used or does it have to be a specific color?
Probably reddish, the person who runs it at Nats also runs it at IN state and it was red. I don't think it has to be a certain color.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
pikachu4919
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

CPScienceDude wrote:
FiveW's wrote:Is the iodine most likely going to be clear or will it have that reddish color at nationals? And can any color of Iodine be used or does it have to be a specific color?
Probably reddish, the person who runs it at Nats also runs it at IN state and it was red. I don't think it has to be a certain color.
She doesn't run it at nats. Someone else does since she runs Forensics at nats instead and all the events are all day at nats. The only reason why she's able to run both at IN State is because events are only half days there.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CPScienceDude »

Oh, that makes sense.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
wec01
State: VA

Post by wec01 »

CPScienceDude wrote:
For cornstarch it shouldn't matter what color it starts as; it should very obviously turn black/dark blue. Not sure about other powders with different reactions.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics

Return to “2019 Lab Events”