Crime Busters B

pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Crime Busters B

Post by pikachu4919 »

Crime Busters B: Given a scenario, a collection of evidence, and possible suspects, students will perform a series of tests that along with other evidence will be used to solve a crime.

Crime Busters Wiki

Recommended Lab Equipment List for Div. B

Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Past Question Marathons: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by dholdgreve »

I for one am disappointed that they no longer are listing the allowed equipment within the event rules. Instead, E/Cs need to go to a separate location and download this list. Why in the world have they incorporated the entire list of Fossils, and herbivores , but not included the allowable list of qizmos is beyond me...
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

dholdgreve wrote:I for one am disappointed that they no longer are listing the allowed equipment within the event rules. Instead, E/Cs need to go to a separate location and download this list. Why in the world have they incorporated the entire list of Fossils, and herbivores , but not included the allowable list of qizmos is beyond me...
Yeah, that was a little strange. It's not like they were short on space on the main rules page anyway.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

Unome wrote:
dholdgreve wrote:I for one am disappointed that they no longer are listing the allowed equipment within the event rules. Instead, E/Cs need to go to a separate location and download this list. Why in the world have they incorporated the entire list of Fossils, and herbivores , but not included the allowable list of qizmos is beyond me...
Yeah, that was a little strange. It's not like they were short on space on the main rules page anyway.
It buys them time to develop and post the list... As of this morning it is still "coming soon."
Dan Holdgreve

pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

dholdgreve wrote:
Unome wrote:
It buys them time to develop and post the list... As of this morning it is still "coming soon."
It has been posted here: https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... p_DivB.pdf. I've also updated all the event thread posts for CB, 4n6, PnP, and chem lab to include their respective lists.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!

MY CABBAGES!
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

Very Strange... Last year, I was told that the intent was to standardize the chem equipment so that kids grabbing a crime busters kit would not be penalized for having unauthorized equipment in Potions. This seems to be going in the opposite direction again where 2 separate kits are required.
Dan Holdgreve

Incineroar999
Been thanked: 0

Post by Incineroar999 »

Hello. I am looking for some tips for Crime Busters. Anything is appreciated.
megrimlockawesom
Division: C
State: NC

Post by megrimlockawesom »

Incineroar999 wrote:Hello. I am looking for some tips for Crime Busters. Anything is appreciated.
Common sense will help you with your analysis
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute (2nd at Regionals OVERALL), Thermodynamics
Events 2020: Sounds of Music, Designer Genes, Ping Pong Parachute
Galahad
State: HI

Post by Galahad »

Incineroar999 wrote:Hello. I am looking for some tips for Crime Busters. Anything is appreciated.
Practice.
Practice is the only way to get good in this event. There's absolutely no way to study for more than 6 hours on this event because there's only so much you need. The only way for you to do well at nationals is to make use of the vast collections of Crime Busters tests throughout the years. When practicing for last years nats we did around a dozen or so labs, doing all of the past national tournament tests as well.

Be ready for anything.
If there's anything that this event has taught me, is that event supervisors are not created equally. On some tests we'd get extremely high scores (beating out the 1st place national champ of that year), on others we'd get somewhere in the moderates (20-10's), and here and there well below (30-20). That's what happened to us at the 2018 Nationals. All things considered, we were a pretty solid team. We were able to identify everything quickly and match up the evidence, but the formatting of the test got me. It was completely different from what I'd seen before, and was used to writing on. I screwed up big time on it. Our coach (and us even) thought we had a solid chance at the gold medal. Alas, we didn't get close looking back. We got used to the formats of the previous years, and just assumed it was going to be like that this year.
(P.S. they had like 2 illegal mixtures so like I don't think the ES knew what he was doing? I mean the test was kpadk[pihowbjdnm)

Don't use paragraphs for the analysis.
Event supervisors hate it (coming from an actual crime ES). It's really disorganized and unnecessary to write a paragraph on something that can be listed. What we did (and got rather high points for, other than the 2018 nats test which forced us to write short sentences here and there [AND DIDNT EVEN GIVE US ENOUGH ROOM]) was use a list format rather. I'd write each suspects name and if they're guilty or not. I'd then write supporting evidence to that verdict.

Ex.

Given that yeast, dog hair, aluminum, and other evidence was found at the crime scene.

Jake - Innocent
---
- Works as an accountant, no reason to have yeast
- Shoeprints do not match
- Fingerprints do not match
- Blood samples do not match
- Does not own a dog, owns a cat

Poppy - Guilty
---
- Works as a sheet metal worker, aluminum was found at the crime scene
- Shoeprints match those found
- Fingerprints match those found
- Blood samples match those found
- Owns a dog

Finally, don't panic.
Crime has got to be the most stressful event I've ever competed in. Not only because of the fast paced mixing and testing, but because of the extreme time crunch toward the end. Only on around 40% of my practices I had extra time after finishing up the analysis. But don't stress.
Stressing causes you to be not careful, my biggest flaw as a "crime buster". Stop focusing on the clock, but on what you have to do.
50 minutes is A LOT OF TIME, don't waste it with stress or mistakes.

Ah I'm going to miss this event. Conflicts with Herpetology :(

Just relax, focus on what you have to do, and keep it simple. You'll do great with practice and experience.
Finally an alumnus!

Highlands Intermediate School '16-'19
Pearl City High School '19-'22
DMAH '18-'22
UC Irvine '26

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad
Anapolis
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by Anapolis »

Galahad wrote:
Don't use paragraphs for the analysis.
Event supervisors hate it (coming from an actual crime ES). It's really disorganized and unnecessary to write a paragraph on something that can be listed. What we did (and got rather high points for, other than the 2018 nats test which forced us to write short sentences here and there [AND DIDNT EVEN GIVE US ENOUGH ROOM]) was use a list format rather. I'd write each suspects name and if they're guilty or not. I'd then write supporting evidence to that verdict.

Ex.

Given that yeast, dog hair, aluminum, and other evidence was found at the crime scene.

Jake - Innocent
---
- Works as an accountant, no reason to have yeast
- Shoeprints do not match
- Fingerprints do not match
- Blood samples do not match
- Does not own a dog, owns a cat

Poppy - Guilty
---
- Works as a sheet metal worker, aluminum was found at the crime scene
- Shoeprints match those found
- Fingerprints match those found
- Blood samples match those found
- Owns a dog

Finally, don't panic.
Crime has got to be the most stressful event I've ever competed in. Not only because of the fast paced mixing and testing, but because of the extreme time crunch toward the end. Only on around 40% of my practices I had extra time after finishing up the analysis. But don't stress.
Stressing causes you to be not careful, my biggest flaw as a "crime buster". Stop focusing on the clock, but on what you have to do.
50 minutes is A LOT OF TIME, don't waste it with stress or mistakes.

Ah I'm going to miss this event. Conflicts with Herpetology :(

Just relax, focus on what you have to do, and keep it simple. You'll do great with practice and experience.
idk man I feel like the event supervisors are expecting the competitors to write a multi-paragraph analysis, not only on the prime suspect but also on why the other suspects didn't commit the crime. We never had an issue with this and often finished with time to spare. My advice is to split up the work, meand my partner each found our strengths and focused on completing our tasks separately, (dont both do id, multitasking is very helpful!!!) we only conferred with eachother when something was reAlly sus (yeast in a mixture at nats i Am def not salty but also the entire nats test in general, again not salty at all). I completely trusted my partners ability and we often found ourselves finishing with time to spare, so i could go over the analysis and clean up (clean up!!). Also think about how you can maximize the efficiency of what you are doing, if something takes a while (chromatography) do it immediately, focus on id before answering the follow up questions, stuff like that really helps quicken the test taking process. maybe focus on finding ur strengths in this event, i was really good at iding really fast (look test lol) so thats basically all i did and my partner (carried me) did analysis.
(n)
crime 5
road 19 (oof)
(s/n)
fast facts 2/11
 rocks 2/6
 road 7/6
crime 2/3
widi 2/6
wright stuff (lol only did invies)

Return to “2019 Lab Events”