Potions and Poisons B

Crimesolver
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Potions and Poisons B

Post by Crimesolver »

qk11 wrote:How many beakers, erlenmeyer flasks, graduated cylinders, and test tubes should a team bring for Potions & Poisons?
You should probably bring 1 of each. If it was really necessary, the proctors would probably provide it.
Keep on going :)
Crimesolver

Post by Crimesolver »

Newbietoscience wrote:May I have some advice on how to do sample question f.? It's the one saying "Given a map, analyze the potential spread patterns of toxic spills via water, wind or gravity."r
You probably just need to understand and interpret different maps like topographic maps and maps showing water currents and understand which direction toxins will generally go.
drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

Crimesolver wrote:
qk11 wrote:How many beakers, erlenmeyer flasks, graduated cylinders, and test tubes should a team bring for Potions & Poisons?
You should probably bring 1 of each. If it was really necessary, the proctors would probably provide it.
As an ES, and one who attended the most recent SO Summer Institute where the idea of a "universal" chemistry box was floated (as well as ES for LISO, Bayard Rustin & Garnet Valley), I myself have a few "questions" about the new universal list. In an effort to make easier the amount and/or type of glassware needed to successfully navigate Potions & Poisons (or any of the other chem events) in one "universal box", we have created what I believe is an even bigger problem. Students coming to P&P are now bringing so much glassware on the list - many times ALL of the glassware on the list - that we have had more breakage in the past three Invys than I have seen in all the time I have been running this particular event. Not that it is creating a dangerous situation, but there does seem to be an increased risk for something to happen. Students do not need multiples of every size beaker, Erlenmeyer flask, graduated cylinder, etc... as are on the list. I was hoping to bring this up in the future, but (as in the Regional Supervisor Notes we create) it would be great if each invy ES (for P & P anyway), could supply a list of what will be needed to complete the test at hand. For instance, for my recent test, students could have easily managed with a couple of large beakers, test tube rack/test tubes, well plate, a couple of small beakers and a few scoopulas, spoons, thermometer and a few other pieces. If there are any other chem ES's reading this, I would appreciate your input on this matter as well.
anastasiiapopova
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by anastasiiapopova »

Rivkaaa wrote:
anastasiiapopova wrote:
gablo wrote:What are the possible labs? We cannot find any info on this.
Based on the last two years, we've had;

chromatography (rarely, but be ready)
mixtures of reagents/ separation of a mixture
serial dilutions (with vinegar)
determination of pH
conductivity testing (not really though)
physical vs chemical changes

The ES would use either one or even all of them. Be ready for all. : )
Yeah, except I've personally never seen chromatography :D .

There was actually a Potions and Poisons chromatography portion in the recent Garnet Valley Invy!
Rivkaaa
Division: B
State: NY

Post by Rivkaaa »

anastasiiapopova wrote:
Rivkaaa wrote:
anastasiiapopova wrote:
Based on the last two years, we've had;

chromatography (rarely, but be ready)
mixtures of reagents/ separation of a mixture
serial dilutions (with vinegar)
determination of pH
conductivity testing (not really though)
physical vs chemical changes

The ES would use either one or even all of them. Be ready for all. : )
Yeah, except I've personally never seen chromatography :D .

There was actually a Potions and Poisons chromatography portion in the recent Garnet Valley Invy!
Actually, I replied to you on Jan 18, while the Garnet invy was on Jan 26 ;)
2018 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Microbe Mission
2019 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Water Quality
Bay Academy
jacobM18

Post by jacobM18 »

On the rules sheet, it classifies Autumn Skullcap as Galerina marginata, when its true binomial nomenclature is Galerina autumnalis. Therefore, what am I expected to study?
starfruit
State: VA

Post by starfruit »

jacobM18 wrote:On the rules sheet, it classifies Autumn Skullcap as Galerina marginata, when its true binomial nomenclature is Galerina autumnalis. Therefore, what am I expected to study?
Ok, so basically Galerina marginata and Galerina autumnalis and all the other things that pop up when you look up Autumn Skullcap are the same species. Back in about 2001, they thought they were all different because they lived in different places and the viscidity of their caps were different, but phylogenetic analysis proved they were all the same. I would just use Galerina marginata because it's on the rules, but also there is no 'true' scientific name because they're all the same species. Hope this helps!
code/forensics/it's about time
:!: :!: :!:
Crimesolver

Post by Crimesolver »

One question on my regionals test was to calculate the solution which has a concentration of 0.05g/mL if you want to decrease it by 10%. I responded with “0.045g/mL” then I realized sig figs exist. Am I supposed to use sig figs in this case? There was a follow up question that asked for the volume of the two solutions, so having the same concentration means they have the same volume, which isn’t very accurate.
Last edited by Crimesolver on February 10th, 2019, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
starfruit

Post by starfruit »

Crimesolver wrote:One question on my regionals test was to calculate the solution which has a concentration of 0.05g/mL if you want to decrease it by 10%. I responded with “0.045g/mL” then I realized sig figs exist. Am I supposed to use sig figs in this case? There was a follow up question that asked for the volume of the two solutions, so having the same concentration means they have the same volume, which isn’t very accurate.
I asked my coach and she said possibly, but probably not if it didn't say it explicitly in the directions, and to ask the proctor to double check. Btw congrats on going to states! My team just finished 2nd place at our regionals yesterday and I won Potions :)
starfruit

Post by starfruit »

starfruit wrote:
Crimesolver wrote:One question on my regionals test was to calculate the solution which has a concentration of 0.05g/mL if you want to decrease it by 10%. I responded with “0.045g/mL” then I realized sig figs exist. Am I supposed to use sig figs in this case? There was a follow up question that asked for the volume of the two solutions, so having the same concentration means they have the same volume, which isn’t very accurate.
I asked my coach and she said possibly, but probably not if it didn't say it explicitly in the directions, and to ask the proctor to double check. Btw congrats on going to states! My team just finished 2nd place at our regionals yesterday and I won Potions :)
Oh lol nvm then

Return to “2019 Lab Events”