Potions and Poisons B

Galahad
Division: Grad
State: HI

Re: Potions and Poisons B

Post by Galahad »

dvegadvol wrote:My reading of the rules is that ES are supposed to ask about ID and toxic effects, which should narrow it down a bit...
From experience, I can say that they ask for more than that. Sometimes they ask for unique biological traits, sometimes they ask for distribution. What I do is use my herpetology format (Distribution, anatomy, diet, etc). It worked pretty well so far, considering my placements.
Finally an alumnus!

Highlands Intermediate School '16-'19
Pearl City High School '19-'22
DMAH '18-'22
UC Irvine '26

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad
dvegadvol
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by dvegadvol »

How are you all dealing with going from 10 pages to 2? We've gone to 5-point type. What other strategies? I've seen whole pages reduced greatly...
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

dvegadvol wrote:How are you all dealing with going from 10 pages to 2? We've gone to 5-point type. What other strategies? I've seen whole pages reduced greatly...
Honestly, just memorize all the chemistry stuff. That's about it. 10 pages was MORE than enough for potions
Finally an alumnus!

DMAH '18-'22
UC Irvine '26

mustardsammich

Post by mustardsammich »

What do you do in this event?
agneswu5

Post by agneswu5 »

mustardsammich wrote:What do you do in this event?
This is a study event with some labs on chemistry.

new to this. how to start a new post?
DragonTownEpic
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by DragonTownEpic »

dvegadvol wrote:How are you all dealing with going from 10 pages to 2? We've gone to 5-point type. What other strategies? I've seen whole pages reduced greatly...
I've also found that creating your fact sheets in slides helps immensely, as it allows you to position text and images very close together.
I CAN DAB AT COMPETITIONS AGAIN :x :x :x
drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

Galahad wrote:
Honestly, just memorize all the chemistry stuff. That's about it. 10 pages was MORE than enough for potions
Having been the ES for many of of the P&P events, memorizing (this used to be called "learning") is the best approach, and I believe this is the strategy behind reducing the # of pages. In addition, I do not see a lot of searching the notes during most events. I believe overstuffed binders are very overrated, but not overstuffed Christmas stockings!
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

drcubbin wrote:
Galahad wrote:
Having been the ES for many of of the P&P events, memorizing (this used to be called "learning") is the best approach, and I believe this is the strategy behind reducing the # of pages. In addition, I do not see a lot of searching the notes during most events. I believe overstuffed binders are very overrated, but not overstuffed Christmas stockings!
Ditto. I mean, it's called a study event, not a "search your notes" event. Having less note sheets is something I'll support because they actually force kids to study rather than just copy paste things onto a sheet. SciOly is less of learning and studying but rather working and making notes. The idea of "cheat sheets" takes away from the very goal and essence of the competition.

But binder events... ohhh god you need them.
Finally an alumnus!

DMAH '18-'22
UC Irvine '26

IvanGe
Division: C

Post by IvanGe »

I was just pouring over the list of Recommended Items on soinc, and I noticed that chromatography paper isn't on there. However, it says that chromatography is still a valid lab. Will the supervisor provide the chromatography paper? I remember doing a chromatography at a competition last year, but totally forgot if the supervisor provided. :/
gelinas 2016-2019, wmhs'22

nats '19:
5th - potions
5th - fossils
9th - buggy
drcubbin
Division: B

Post by drcubbin »

IvanGe wrote:I was just pouring over the list of Recommended Items on soinc, and I noticed that chromatography paper isn't on there. However, it says that chromatography is still a valid lab. Will the supervisor provide the chromatography paper? I remember doing a chromatography at a competition last year, but totally forgot if the supervisor provided. :/
From the 2019 Manual 2.d. "Event supervisors will provide for each team: all required reagents and test solutions, any needed probes or
other instrumentation, chromatography materials, and the answer sheet." So yes, we've got you covered ;)

Return to “2019 Lab Events”