Circuit Lab B/C

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Pastaman202 wrote:At one of my invites, there was a switch that connected with 2 terminals, and you are given a capacitor, battery, lamp and resistor. The question was to set up a schematic diagram of how when the switch is connected to one terminal, the light bulb starts dim and get brighter and brighter, while the other starts bright and gets dimmer and dimmer. Does anyone know how to set this up? P.S. this was a div B test. Thanks!
You'd have to set it up so that the capacitor discharges for the one switch position and recharges for the other switch position. So you'd have two RC circuits with a switch going in between them.
JavaScriptCoder
State: IL

Post by JavaScriptCoder »

I've been looking at past practice tests after doing some research on circuit lab, and I saw a y-shaped load, with a resistance on each resistor. I can't really figure out what a y-delta transform is and how that's supposed to work, and I also don't really understand how the current is supposed to flow in the y. Can someone tell me:

a) this is an AC concept, will it be tested
b) if it is tested, how can I best understand it?

Thanks~!
Here to help!~

IMSA Class of '22
Events: Astronomy, Protein Modeling, (formerly: Wright Stuff, Chem Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics)
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

JavaScriptCoder wrote:I've been looking at past practice tests after doing some research on circuit lab, and I saw a y-shaped load, with a resistance on each resistor. I can't really figure out what a y-delta transform is and how that's supposed to work, and I also don't really understand how the current is supposed to flow in the y. Can someone tell me:

a) this is an AC concept, will it be tested
b) if it is tested, how can I best understand it?

Thanks~!
Y-Delta transform is a way to simplify circuits. The two circuit pieces are equivalent and can exist in either DC or AC circuits. Current won't flow in the Y by itself: the purpose is the transform is to simplify a smaller piece in a larger and more complicated circuit. Check out this: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/ele ... r-networks
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbo ... nversions/
JavaScriptCoder
State: IL

Post by JavaScriptCoder »

Thank you!
Here to help!~

IMSA Class of '22
Events: Astronomy, Protein Modeling, (formerly: Wright Stuff, Chem Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics)
jaggie34
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by jaggie34 »

Anyone think it would be useful looking into magnetic moment?
Boca Raton High School -> Georgia Tech
It's About Time writer/co-writer: Golden Gate, Georgia States
Ping Pong Parachute co-ES: MIT
Florida Game On C and Fermi Questions C champion!
and Circuit Lab too I guess
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

jaggie34 wrote:Anyone think it would be useful looking into magnetic moment?
Probably yes.
Boss
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Boss »

I know that the rules mention RC time constant questions, as well as capacitor questions, being permitted in division c. Would questions regarding other aspects beyond simple calculations of an RC time constant be permitted? I would think that if resistors and capacitors are permitted, then by extension, things like low-pass and high-pass filters would be allowed.
wec01
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0

Post by wec01 »

Boss wrote:I know that the rules mention RC time constant questions, as well as capacitor questions, being permitted in division c. Would questions regarding other aspects beyond simple calculations of an RC time constant be permitted? I would think that if resistors and capacitors are permitted, then by extension, things like low-pass and high-pass filters would be allowed.
I would say yes; generally if you think it would be allowed, some test writers will too.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
neerja.shah

Post by neerja.shah »

So just for anyone who might want to know what to expect on some tests here is list of things that you may see. I live in Ohio where the compititon is very hard, especially at State (considering that the national champs and runner up were from ohio). Anyways...here is the list:
- i always had a lab portion so become very good at identifying resistors in case they give you a huge pile
- a list of special symbols (sybols such as the ground symbol, switches, ect) put in your binder, just in case
- a list of inventors and when they invented things
- terms in SI units
that covers a huge part and might as well keep them in your binder just in case.............
hope this helps and good luck :)
lindsmaurer
State: OH

Post by lindsmaurer »

Speaking of Ohio, the circuit lab test for div B had 5 different labs, 3 of which were done alongside the test and 2 of which were timed with each pair having 5 minutes total to complete both simultaneously. The test was also very very long, and very difficult. We only got about 3/4 to 4/5 of the way through and we still won.
Solon HS Captain
DMAH
Sassy #137
1-3 placements: 58
Medals + ribbons: 109

Fossils: X/2/3
Code: 2/1/10
Sounds: 1/2/11
Detector: 1/2/X
Circuits: 8/X/X
Gravity: 7/X/X
GLM: X\X\X