Circuit Lab B/C

PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Post by PM2017 »

tangentline wrote:Inductance is as feasible as a topic as capacitance... But I think having both on the test means RLC circuits.
...I really loved this event back in 2013 and it helped me towards becoming an EE
except it's not...
Please refer to rule 3.d.

Although I do agree that there is no real reason (that I can think of) to allow for capacitance to be tested and not inductance.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

PM2017 wrote:
tangentline wrote:Inductance is as feasible as a topic as capacitance... But I think having both on the test means RLC circuits.
...I really loved this event back in 2013 and it helped me towards becoming an EE
except it's not...

Although I do agree that there is no real reason (that I can think of) to allow for capacitance to be tested and not inductance.
Agreed... they could've easily allowed inductance but not RLC circuits (especially since they allowed capacitance but not RC circuits in B division). Also, they added magnetic poles, magnetic fields, and electromagnets to the rules, so there's really not much of a reason not to allow inductance.
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jacobi »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
except it's not...

Agreed... they could've easily allowed inductance but not RLC circuits (especially since they allowed capacitance but not RC circuits in B division). Also, they added magnetic poles, magnetic fields, and electromagnets to the rules, so there's really not much of a reason not to allow inductance.
If your event supervisor is known to be mean, learn it.
JMcQueen

Post by JMcQueen »

In the official guidebook, it says that we have to know how to use a breadboard. I want to know if this is a solderless breadboard. Also, does a graphing calculator count as a stand-alone calculator?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

JMcQueen wrote:In the official guidebook, it says that we have to know how to use a breadboard. I want to know if this is a solderless breadboard. Also, does a graphing calculator count as a stand-alone calculator?
I assume it means a solderless breadboard. A graphing calculator counts as a stand-alone calcaulator.
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

JMcQueen wrote:In the official guidebook, it says that we have to know how to use a breadboard. I want to know if this is a solderless breadboard. Also, does a graphing calculator count as a stand-alone calculator?
I would agree with UTF. They don't want students soldering.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

We have a new official 'calculator policy' everyone should review: https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... e_2019.pdf

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
megrimlockawesom
State: NC

Post by megrimlockawesom »

I'm fairly new to binder events. How thick are the binders for these types of events usually?
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute (2nd at Regionals OVERALL), Thermodynamics
Events 2020: Sounds of Music, Designer Genes, Ping Pong Parachute
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

megrimlockawesom wrote:I'm fairly new to binder events. How thick are the binders for these types of events usually?
Varies from 1-1.5 inches to something like this.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
MattChina
Division: B
State: NY

Post by MattChina »

How much of electrostatics do we needto know
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member

Return to “2019 Lab Events”