Circuit Lab B/C

DragonTownEpic
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Post by DragonTownEpic »

Okay, so I'm not in circuit lab. But I found this electronic* component on the floor of my garage today. I was wondering, what is it?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LucJUe ... sp=sharing

*maybe, unsure
I CAN DAB AT COMPETITIONS AGAIN :x :x :x
PM2017
Division: Grad

Post by PM2017 »

DragonTownEpic wrote:Okay, so I'm not in circuit lab. But I found this electronic* component on the floor of my garage today. I was wondering, what is it?

*maybe, unsure
That looks very much like the nichrome igniter for model rockets. Does anyone in your family work with that type of stuff?
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
ElPotato
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ElPotato »

Quick question, are event supervisors allowed to restrict the multimeter you use in labs or prevent you from using your multimeter altogether? I was thinking about practicing with worse multimeters in case I had to use one in competition.
2015 Crave the Wave
2016 Bio-Process Lab
2019 Sounds of Music
DragonTownEpic

Post by DragonTownEpic »

PM2017 wrote:
DragonTownEpic wrote:Okay, so I'm not in circuit lab. But I found this electronic* component on the floor of my garage today. I was wondering, what is it?

*maybe, unsure
That looks very much like the nichrome igniter for model rockets. Does anyone in your family work with that type of stuff?
Oh yeah! That's what it was! I completely forgot!
I CAN DAB AT COMPETITIONS AGAIN :x :x :x
mdv2o5
State: IN

Post by mdv2o5 »

ElPotato wrote:Quick question, are event supervisors allowed to restrict the multimeter you use in labs or prevent you from using your multimeter altogether? I was thinking about practicing with worse multimeters in case I had to use one in competition.
Rule 2d addresses this issue. It appears that it's up to the supervisor if you can use your own, so it might be worthwhile to bring one and ask. That being said, I highly doubt that the multimeter provided to you will be bad enough to be an issue in solving the problem. The voltage and resistance measurements are fairly standard, and I don't think any ES would be bold enough to let students use an ammeter to probe the circuit.
ElPotato
State: MI

Post by ElPotato »

mdv2o5 wrote:
ElPotato wrote:Quick question, are event supervisors allowed to restrict the multimeter you use in labs or prevent you from using your multimeter altogether? I was thinking about practicing with worse multimeters in case I had to use one in competition.
Rule 2d addresses this issue. It appears that it's up to the supervisor if you can use your own, so it might be worthwhile to bring one and ask. That being said, I highly doubt that the multimeter provided to you will be bad enough to be an issue in solving the problem. The voltage and resistance measurements are fairly standard, and I don't think any ES would be bold enough to let students use an ammeter to probe the circuit.
Ok, thanks. With the multimeter quality, my thought was that you never will know with some tournaments.
2015 Crave the Wave
2016 Bio-Process Lab
2019 Sounds of Music
Crimesolver
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Crimesolver »

When the question asks you to show your work, but there's no work on the answer key :?:
Could anyone please explain these?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_jkQbi ... sp=sharing I'm sure this one is probably not possible since it's a short circuit, but the answer key says 3 amps soooo
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cTjnsH ... sp=sharing The answer for this one is 0.625A, 21.875V, I just don't know how to approach it
Keep on going :)
Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
State: KS

Post by Schrodingerscat »

Crimesolver wrote:When the question asks you to show your work, but there's no work on the answer key :?:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_jkQbi ... sp=sharing I'm sure this one is probably not possible since it's a short circuit, but the answer key says 3 amps soooo
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cTjnsH ... sp=sharing The answer for this one is 0.625A, 21.875V, I just don't know how to approach it
The first problem works because it is an ideal current source on the left. Because it is parallel to a short, R1 has zero voltage and thus zero current (given non-zero resistance), so it can be excluded from the current analysis. After removing it, you have two current loops in opposite directions, one is limited to 8A in a downward direction by the current source, and the other from the voltage source is limited to 5A in the upwards direction by R2. The net result is a downwards (positive current) of 3A.

For the second one, I'd personally start with the Thevenin equivalence theorem (for simplicity, you could do it without) to replace the right side of the circuit of the terminals with a downwards 5V and a 43 ohm resistor. Then I'd apply KCL through node A or B. If you get node B to 0V as reference ground and A to V, flowing into A you have 5A and out of V/5 A and (V--5)/43=(V+5)/43 A. Thus if current in=current out, 5=V/5+(V+5)/43. Multiplying by 43*5 gives 1050=43V+5V+25, or V=1050/48=21.875V. Finally note that the Thevenin equivalent will have the same current loop as desired in the final answer, so you can calculate (V+5)/43=(21.875+5)/43=0.625A. (I just noticed you are in B division and apparently not expected to be able to use Kirchhoff current analysis by the rules, so that may have been more of a C level problem than B).
Crimesolver
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Crimesolver »

Schrodingerscat wrote:
Crimesolver wrote:When the question asks you to show your work, but there's no work on the answer key :?:
The first problem works because it is an ideal current source on the left. Because it is parallel to a short, R1 has zero voltage and thus zero current (given non-zero resistance), so it can be excluded from the current analysis. After removing it, you have two current loops in opposite directions, one is limited to 8A in a downward direction by the current source, and the other from the voltage source is limited to 5A in the upwards direction by R2. The net result is a downwards (positive current) of 3A.

For the second one, I'd personally start with the Thevenin equivalence theorem (for simplicity, you could do it without) to replace the right side of the circuit of the terminals with a downwards 5V and a 43 ohm resistor. Then I'd apply KCL through node A or B. If you get node B to 0V as reference ground and A to V, flowing into A you have 5A and out of V/5 A and (V--5)/43=(V+5)/43 A. Thus if current in=current out, 5=V/5+(V+5)/43. Multiplying by 43*5 gives 1050=43V+5V+25, or V=1050/48=21.875V. Finally note that the Thevenin equivalent will have the same current loop as desired in the final answer, so you can calculate (V+5)/43=(21.875+5)/43=0.625A. (I just noticed you are in B division and apparently not expected to be able to use Kirchhoff current analysis by the rules, so that may have been more of a C level problem than B).
Thank you sooooo much!!! I was trying to figure it out for 5 hours :,)
Keep on going :)
satvik03
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by satvik03 »

Does anyone have any tips for the lab portion? Thanks.
Community 2018-2019
2018-2019 Events:
LISO/Rustin/Regs/Garnet/Cornell/States/Nats!
Thermo: 1/1/x/x/2/5/12
Circuit: 2/3/x/4/10/1/11
Experimental Design: 2/1/1/10/5/1/13
2018-2019 Medal Count: 15
National "What Are You Trying To Tell Me" Champion! (lol)

Return to “2019 Lab Events”