Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Game On B

Post by LittleMissNyan »

newt wrote:
knightmoves wrote:
Frost0125 wrote:Hello,

Nationals will be my first time competing in Game On, as I come from NC where they run Amazing Mechatronics instead of Game On. Does anybody have any tips or things to know for Game On? Or any good resources?
Thanks!
Learn the rubric. Live by the rubric, die by the rubric. If you don't tick the boxes, you won't get the points.

Learn, by heart, your implementation of player sprite controls, non-player sprites that respond to player movement etc. You don't have time in the event to think about how to make something work.

Make one partner responsible for cranking out the basic game structure while the other partner figures out how to wrap the scientific theme around it.
Something that really helped me was practicing making games on Scratch with different scientific themes that I would ask other people to give me. Again, refer to the rubric so you know which areas can earn you points! There are a bunch of YouTube videos that can teach you how to code things if you ever have trouble figuring certain things out. Overall, I also believe it's also important to understand why the code works so that in case you run into problems at competition, you can work your way through problem-solving. Good luck at nationals! :)
Our Regionals set up their turn-in system so it shared all the games publicly on Scratch (https://scratch.mit.edu/classes/165734/students/), so you can take a look if you want some ideas. North Bethesda, Urbana, and Tilden are some of the really good ones.
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
Guriy
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Guriy »

Nationals will be my first time competing in Game On, as I come from NC where they run Amazing Mechatronics instead of Game On. Does anybody have any tips or things to know for Game On? Or any good resources?
Thanks!
I'd recommend working on a base formula for a game then practicing the said formula with different scientific themes. Good luck in Nats.
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by LittleMissNyan »

Guriy wrote:

Thanks!
I'd recommend working on a base formula for a game then practicing the said formula with different scientific themes. Good luck in Nats.
If you want to see some games from MD Regionals for some ideas they're here
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Umaroth »

SoCal didn't hold Game On, so we are a bit confused on some parts. Is the game type given by the proctors, or do you choose at competition?
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
terence.tan
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by terence.tan »

Umaroth wrote:SoCal didn't hold Game On, so we are a bit confused on some parts. Is the game type given by the proctors, or do you choose at competition?
it is chosen by the proctor
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Umaroth »

terence.tan wrote:
Umaroth wrote:SoCal didn't hold Game On, so we are a bit confused on some parts. Is the game type given by the proctors, or do you choose at competition?
Is that still the same for this year? I've been getting mixed responses
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by LittleMissNyan »

terence.tan wrote:
Wait the game topic, or the game type? Game On doesn't have a game type this year.
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt

Return to “2019 Lab Events”