Experimental Design B/C

kate!
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by kate! »

Anomaly wrote:
Paypog wrote: Write like your life depends on it 4head
Honestly that's how I survived doing this event last year, my partners never really did too much except fight with each other and do the actual experiment
Pro tip: pretend you always have 5 minutes left. (One time during practice we thought we had 5 minutes but we actually had 15 minutes. Since we were going faster when we thought we had less time it was way more efficient and we finished earlier and could clean up/check work.) Btw don't forget to clean up!!! That is the most important thing (and put it in the procedure too) so you don't get a lower score.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

kate! wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
Paypog wrote: Write like your life depends on it 4head
Honestly that's how I survived doing this event last year, my partners never really did too much except fight with each other and do the actual experiment
Pro tip: pretend you always have 5 minutes left. (One time during practice we thought we had 5 minutes but we actually had 15 minutes. Since we were going faster when we thought we had less time it was way more efficient and we finished earlier and could clean up/check work.) Btw don't forget to clean up!!! That is the most important thing (and put it in the procedure too) so you don't get a lower score.
I actually do that with my middle schoolers. i tell them they have three minutes left when they still have 8 minutes left and now they’re always done a couple minutes early
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
sciencekid27
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by sciencekid27 »

Please help :cry:

Here are some technical questions that I've gotten various responses to:
Also, I'm in Div B

1) Other than mean, median, range, and mode (even though mode is not important in this case), what else do you need for statistics? Do you need stuff like std dev?
2) For qualitative observations, what constitutes as an observation about the procedure/deviations. Is something like "The water was supposed to be dropped directly on top of the penny, but a deviation occurred, and the water was dropped in various different places" okay?
3) For the graph, do you need a line of best fit?
4) Also, regarding the graph, is a break line okay?
5) An outlier is defined as either (Q3 + 1.5 * IQR) or (Q1 - 1.5 * IQR). So in the analysis section, when describing and identifying any outliers, do you need to use the formulas and be exact? Or can you just be like this is a lot bigger than the rest so it is an outlier?

Thanks! :)
1/3 inquirer, 1/3 studier, 1/6 lab-doer, and 1/6 builder
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

sciencekid27 wrote:Please help :cry:

Here are some technical questions that I've gotten various responses to:
Also, I'm in Div B

1) Other than mean, median, range, and mode (even though mode is not important in this case), what else do you need for statistics? Do you need stuff like std dev?
2) For qualitative observations, what constitutes as an observation about the procedure/deviations. Is something like "The water was supposed to be dropped directly on top of the penny, but a deviation occurred, and the water was dropped in various different places" okay?
3) For the graph, do you need a line of best fit?
4) Also, regarding the graph, is a break line okay?
5) An outlier is defined as either (Q3 + 1.5 * IQR) or (Q1 - 1.5 * IQR). So in the analysis section, when describing and identifying any outliers, do you need to use the formulas and be exact? Or can you just be like this is a lot bigger than the rest so it is an outlier?

Thanks! :)
1. I'd include standard deviation. It's relatively easy to calculate and you can use it in your analysis.
2. I think so, just make sure to not confuse it with errors. Taking that statement from above, I'd take out the error and make it "The water was dropped in various different places on the penny."
3. I always do - it doesn't take much effort and it looks nice to the ES.
4. Definitely. You need to have an appropriate scale (per the rules) so a break line definitely helps.
5. I never use the formulas. It's too wordy and focuses on more facts. If a data point looks really off, just say it's an outlier, even if the formula doesn't say so.
sciencekid27

Post by sciencekid27 »

Thanks! :D
1/3 inquirer, 1/3 studier, 1/6 lab-doer, and 1/6 builder
LiteralRhinoceros
State: NJ

Post by LiteralRhinoceros »

I'm wondering if the following situation is worth submitting a FAQ
Imagine the following situation.
This experiment told the participants to put paper clips on a boat, floating in a tub of water, and to measure how changing some variable about the boat would change the mass it could hold. In the materials section, say the group used 87 paper clips, would they write 87, or over estimate, given that the purpose of an experimental design write-up is for someone to recreate the experiment, which means the exact conditions and results will not be reached. On the other hand, overestimating does not describe the specific experiment that the group conducted. The group could write 100 paper clips as an estimate for how much would be needed to recreate the experiment
So from these circumstances, what would be a proper course of action?
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage
satvik03
Division: B

Post by satvik03 »

I was wondering the same thing as rhino, because the situation can be viewed in two ways based on the rubric.
Community 2018-2019
2018-2019 Events:
LISO/Rustin/Regs/Garnet/Cornell/States/Nats!
Thermo: 1/1/x/x/2/5/12
Circuit: 2/3/x/4/10/1/11
Experimental Design: 2/1/1/10/5/1/13
2018-2019 Medal Count: 15
National "What Are You Trying To Tell Me" Champion! (lol)
LiteralRhinoceros

Post by LiteralRhinoceros »

hmmm, maybe because you were taking the test lmao
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage
fxp765

Post by fxp765 »

Could someone explain what "Suggestions for other ways to look at hypothesis are given" in the applications section means?
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

fxp765 wrote:Could someone explain what "Suggestions for other ways to look at hypothesis are given" in the applications section means?
It basically means to change the IV levels of the hypothesis, like if they were (unspecifically) 1, 2, and 3, you could say 2,4, and 6 to make a trend more visible.

Return to “2019 Lab Events”