Experimental Design B/C

wec01
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by wec01 »

TheWood wrote:How would you indicate one sig fig for zero? 0 or 0.?
I believe zero always has 0 sig figs no matter how you write it, so I don't think it makes a difference if you put a decimal or not.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
gurumurthys

Post by gurumurthys »

Hi

I have a question regarding using additional sheets for experimental design B. Can students use additional sheets for writing their answers or should they stick with the space available in the reporting packet.

thanks
Guru
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

gurumurthys wrote:Hi

I have a question regarding using additional sheets for experimental design B. Can students use additional sheets for writing their answers or should they stick with the space available in the reporting packet.

thanks
Guru
Depends on the event supervisor. Some tournaments I've been to are really strict about writing in the same space, but at regionals we were allowed to use other sheets of paper because the formatting of the packet didn't suit us.
WendysLvr

Post by WendysLvr »

gurumurthys wrote:Hi

thanks
Guru
The whole purpose of this document https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... 101018.pdf is for the write up. It is supposed to be printed single sided and the back used if you run out of room.
jennarholt
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by jennarholt »

Okay, so can anyone help? I just got thrown into this event, and our competition is this Saturday. What am I doing, because honest to god I'm confused? (Div B)
2023: Rocks and Minerals, Dynamic Planet, Cell Biology
2022: Rocks and Minerals (R.2nd, St. 3rd)
>2021: Fossils was the love of my life. Some days I can still hear its call...
krasabnk
Division: Grad
State: NC

Post by krasabnk »

jennarholt wrote:Okay, so can anyone help? I just got thrown into this event, and our competition is this Saturday. What am I doing, because honest to god I'm confused? (Div B)
Same here. I think it would help if you thoroughly read through the exp design wiki and read through these forums. Familiarize yourself with basic statistics and checklist provided with the rules sheet. You and your partners will need to make a hypothesis, devise an experiment, and write a lab report based on the variables shown by the experiment.
DaVinci's Dragons 2019, NCSU '23
[b]2019: [/b]
regionals/states
 <3 Herpetology: 1/3
 :evil: Circuit Lab 5/15
 :?: Experimental Design -/19

[b]2018: [/b]
regionals/ states
<3 Herpetology: 1/4
 :?: Disease Detectives: 4/19
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

jennarholt wrote:Okay, so can anyone help? I just got thrown into this event, and our competition is this Saturday. What am I doing, because honest to god I'm confused? (Div B)
Have you ever written a lab report or done an experiment before? If so, congratulations, you know what you're doing in this event. Before you do anything, read the wiki page. Then take a look at the rubric on soinc.org. You'll need to split it into three parts based on the individual strengths of you and your partners (math, quick thinking, writing). Since you don't have a lot of time, try to do at least one practice with your partners. Use one of the wiki examples or an invitational test, sit down, and do a report. Familiarize yourself with all the parts, pay attention to time management, and do the best you can. Good luck at your competition!
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
Paypog
State: PA

Post by Paypog »

kate! wrote:
Have you ever written a lab report or done an experiment before? If so, congratulations, you know what you're doing in this event. Before you do anything, read the wiki page. Then take a look at the rubric on soinc.org. You'll need to split it into three parts based on the individual strengths of you and your partners (math, quick thinking, writing). Since you don't have a lot of time, try to do at least one practice with your partners. Use one of the wiki examples or an invitational test, sit down, and do a report. Familiarize yourself with all the parts, pay attention to time management, and do the best you can. Good luck at your competition!
Write like your life depends on it 4head
2018 Events: Anatomy (Big oof), Ecology (Mild oof), Experimental Design( :D :D ), Herpetology (Mild oof)
2019 Events: Anatomy (oof), Experimental Design (oof), Herpetology (oof), Circuit Lab (oof)
2020 Events: Anatomy, Ornithology, Ping-Pong Parachute
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

Read the wiki, do some practice experiments with your partners, and hope that your partners don't argue about the topic on Saturday for legit 15 minutes

COUGH
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

Paypog wrote: Write like your life depends on it 4head
Honestly that's how I survived doing this event last year, my partners never really did too much except fight with each other and do the actual experiment
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now

Return to “2019 Lab Events”