Mystery Architecture B

mvsomacoach
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mystery Architecture B

Post by mvsomacoach »

heiber wrote:
newtoscioly wrote:Thank you HEIBER! this is great. I really do appreciate you taking time to post this, thanks again!!!!!!!!!!
No problem. With each build I try and focus on one main objective I want them to learn and put together a material list fo that.such as: maximum strength; utilizing tension; scarcity of tape; different ways to use paper......

Also, after the team has gotten experience, I ask them to put together build packages for the team to use at practice. Then you get more ideas and variety and they have to think about how the event works.
i agree, thank you for the examples!

in your exercise can you suggest how the arch can be built?
i think the rules say that arch has to be curved and symmetrical.

just wondering how to make a curve with straight members.
cut them into pieces and create a linear approximated curve?

also even if starting with round members trying to create arch like shape results in kinking the curve and weakening it.
lindsmaurer
Division: C
State: OH

Post by lindsmaurer »

mvsomacoach wrote:
heiber wrote:
newtoscioly wrote:Thank you HEIBER! this is great. I really do appreciate you taking time to post this, thanks again!!!!!!!!!!
No problem. With each build I try and focus on one main objective I want them to learn and put together a material list fo that.such as: maximum strength; utilizing tension; scarcity of tape; different ways to use paper......

Also, after the team has gotten experience, I ask them to put together build packages for the team to use at practice. Then you get more ideas and variety and they have to think about how the event works.

also even if starting with round members trying to create arch like shape results in kinking the curve and weakening it.
Yeah... making arches has been a challenge. Also, the rules aren't clear on whether the arch has to curve all the way or just at the top. Does anyone know how arches are being determined as "curved" or not?
Solon HS Captain
DMAH
Sassy #137
1-3 placements: 58
Medals + ribbons: 109

Fossils: X/2/3
Code: 2/1/10
Sounds: 1/2/11
Detector: 1/2/X
Circuits: 8/X/X
Gravity: 7/X/X
GLM: X\X\X
waffletree
State: PA

Post by waffletree »

lindsmaurer wrote: Yeah... making arches has been a challenge. Also, the rules aren't clear on whether the arch has to curve all the way or just at the top. Does anyone know how arches are being determined as "curved" or not?
at rustin we had arches, and the event supervisors said that any no section of the arch could have a flat surface greater than 5cm long, otherwise you’d be tiered.
builder cult vp // #treegang
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

lindsmaurer wrote:
mvsomacoach wrote:
heiber wrote: No problem. With each build I try and focus on one main objective I want them to learn and put together a material list fo that.such as: maximum strength; utilizing tension; scarcity of tape; different ways to use paper......

Yeah... making arches has been a challenge. Also, the rules aren't clear on whether the arch has to curve all the way or just at the top. Does anyone know how arches are being determined as "curved" or not?
What do you mean by "curving just at the top"?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
waffletree
State: PA

Post by waffletree »

builderguy135 wrote:
lindsmaurer wrote:
mvsomacoach wrote:

What do you mean by "curving just at the top"?
i think she means like a “n” shape, with the top half curved, but the “legs” straight, like you’d do for an elevated bridge
builder cult vp // #treegang

Return to “2019 Lab Events”