Mystery Architecture B

mvsomacoach
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mystery Architecture B

Post by mvsomacoach »

heiber wrote:
mvsomacoach wrote:i appreciate the replies to my question.
i read through all the posts (from before as well) and there is lot of good information here. thanks for that.

i also have few other questions. if anybody has answers for any of them.

. other than the file SO_B_2019.pdf is there any other place where the rules are listed?
i just saw one item in the faq that somebody linked to. maybe i missed others?

. is there a restriction that the parts provided in the bag have to be used whole, in other words without trimming them?
of course sticky tape is trimmed to length, but i was referring to things like sticks/straws/paper that are members of the structure?
i don't think there is such a restriction but i had there was some disqualification done in one of the events due to this. this was last year though.

. is the time flexible? is the overall event duration 50 minutes (when rules are explained, questions are answered, etc.), or is it just the construction time?
for example can the construction time itself be just 30 minutes or so?

thanks again!
All events are typically 50 minutes to allow time to get to the next event. So for MA, it is usually about 25-30 minutes of build time plus time at the beginning to get settled and explain instructions and time at the end to test, clean up, etc. The exact time is up to the event coordinator and it also depends on if they test all at the end or as people finish.
thanks much. i didn't realize that the build time is itself much lower.
bummer as we have been practicing about 50 mins of build time. oh well, i guess we'll try and adjust next couple of meets.
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

What's a cantilever? How would you make one?
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

LittleMissNyan wrote:What's a cantilever? How would you make one?
It's like a boomilever. The load is put on the end of the "triangle", and it is secured at the fulcrum, if I remember correctly. Eh I'm probably butchering the terminology...

Anyways, you could start by making a compression ladder, and then construct tension members. Sorry, this is such a bad explanation overall.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

MadCow2357 wrote:
It's like a boomilever. The load is put on the end of the "triangle", and it is secured at the fulcrum, if I remember correctly. Eh I'm probably butchering the terminology...

Anyways, you could start by making a compression ladder, and then construct tension members. Sorry, this is such a bad explanation overall.
....what?
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
heiber

Post by heiber »

LittleMissNyan wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:

....what?
I recommend you do some research on the internet starting here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantilever

In short it is a structure that supports a load on one end and is either secured to a wall (the Boomilever event is this way) or balanced on a fulcrum on the other end with a counterweight. The easiest (and in my opinion the most likely how this event would be run) is to balance off the side of a table or off of a raised level like a book, or box, with the counterweight resting on top of the end on the table.

Some real world examples: A lightpost or streetlight, a construction crane, a balcony on the side of a building
IsabellaC92343
Division: B
State: NY

Post by IsabellaC92343 »

Hello!
I was wondering if anybody knew how to build a tunnel? I get a general concept but am still unsure of how to successfully build one. How would you practice for one? Would it carry a load? If anyone has made one before, at the competition or not, any tips help.
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

IsabellaC92343 wrote:Hello!
I was wondering if anybody knew how to build a tunnel? I get a general concept but am still unsure of how to successfully build one. How would you practice for one? Would it carry a load? If anyone has made one before, at the competition or not, any tips help.
I honestly still dont know how people define a tunnel... the rules seem really vague to me
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
waffletree
State: PA

Post by waffletree »

idek.........i thought that maybe you have to build an enclosed structure where you have to be able to roll a ball through it? i may be wrong...
builder cult vp // #treegang
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

waffletree wrote:
idek.........i thought that maybe you have to build an enclosed structure where you have to be able to roll a ball through it? i may be wrong...
Define "enclosed". How "enclosed" does it have to be for it to be considered a tunnel? Can there be holes in the tunnel?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
waffletree
State: PA

Post by waffletree »

builderguy135 wrote:
waffletree wrote:
Define "enclosed". How "enclosed" does it have to be for it to be considered a tunnel? Can there be holes in the tunnel?
maybe like if the hole is big enough to stick like...a 1/4 dowel rod it in then its not a tunnel? or maybe it has to be entirely enclosed?
yea no i have no idea
builder cult vp // #treegang

Return to “2019 Lab Events”