Mystery Architecture B

heiber
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mystery Architecture B

Post by heiber »

waffletree wrote:
builderguy135 wrote:
waffletree wrote: idek.........i thought that maybe you have to build an enclosed structure where you have to be able to roll a ball through it? i may be wrong...
Define "enclosed". How "enclosed" does it have to be for it to be considered a tunnel? Can there be holes in the tunnel?
maybe like if the hole is big enough to stick like...a 1/4 dowel rod it in then its not a tunnel? or maybe it has to be entirely enclosed?
yea no i have no idea
It will be up to whoever is running the event to define what is acceptable. When we did a practice build, the goal was to fit a tennis ball through the tunnel. I put it on a dowel to make it easy to test by passing it through.
volunteerDad

Post by volunteerDad »

I have a question regarding "rules". Someone said that the rules seem vague. Does that mean there are actual rules published somewhere? Is anything published anywhere for this event?
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

volunteerDad wrote:I have a question regarding "rules". Someone said that the rules seem vague. Does that mean there are actual rules published somewhere? Is anything published anywhere for this event?
The rules manuals are available from the Science Olympiad store at https://store.soinc.org/us/page/manuals

There is no charge to obtain a copy of the rules, but please read the terms under which the rules are made available and follow them.

At each competition, the Event Supervisor will give instructions for the build - what structure needs to be built, how it will be tested, and how it will be scored. Competitors should read these instructions carefully...
Crimesolver
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Crimesolver »

heiber wrote:
waffletree wrote:
builderguy135 wrote:
Define "enclosed". How "enclosed" does it have to be for it to be considered a tunnel? Can there be holes in the tunnel?
maybe like if the hole is big enough to stick like...a 1/4 dowel rod it in then its not a tunnel? or maybe it has to be entirely enclosed?
yea no i have no idea
It will be up to whoever is running the event to define what is acceptable. When we did a practice build, the goal was to fit a tennis ball through the tunnel. I put it on a dowel to make it easy to test by passing it through.
I don't personally do MA but, according to my friends, it has to be FULLY enclosed. However, the diameter of the tunnel depends on, what they've seen, the size of the ball that will pass through the tunnel.
Keep on going :)
Crimesolver
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Crimesolver »

heiber wrote:
waffletree wrote:
builderguy135 wrote:
yea no i have no idea
I don't personally do MA but, according to my friends, it has to be FULLY enclosed. However, the diameter of the tunnel depends on, what they've seen, the size of the ball that will pass through the tunnel.
Keep on going :)
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

Crimesolver wrote:
heiber wrote:
waffletree wrote: maybe like if the hole is big enough to stick like...a 1/4 dowel rod it in then its not a tunnel? or maybe it has to be entirely enclosed?
yea no i have no idea
The definition of "fully enclosed" can significantly vary from supervisor to supervisor.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
sophhehehe12
Division: B
State: NY

Post by sophhehehe12 »

For a cantilever, what kind do they mean, and what are some examples of a fulcrum and a support? Can it be attached to a table and hang off the edge? Also, what are some good ways to practice for this event? Thank you.
IsabellaC92343

Post by IsabellaC92343 »

sophhehehe12 wrote:For a cantilever, what kind do they mean, and what are some examples of a fulcrum and a support? Can it be attached to a table and hang off the edge? Also, what are some good ways to practice for this event? Thank you.
For a cantilever, it would be a bridge like structure that holds a weight at one end, and a counter balance on the other. A fulcrum is used to go under the bridge-like structure.

Some examples of a fulcrum would be an 8 ounce cup, or try making your own because not all competitions provide fulcrums.

It cannot be attached to the table because it must be free-standing.

The best way to practice is to try to use different materials, such as paper, Popsicle sticks, straws, tape, rubber bands, etc. Practice using a provided fulcrum and without a provided fulcrum.

Hope this helps!
ziqingliu

Post by ziqingliu »

sophhehehe12 wrote:For a cantilever, what kind do they mean, and what are some examples of a fulcrum and support? Can it be attached to a table and hang off the edge? Also, what are some good ways to practice for this event? Thank you.
A cantilever is a structure that has a fulcrum and extends out to one side. it's like a bridge with one base or support. the last time my team and I had to build a cantilever, we had the table as a fulcrum. it cannot be attached to the table. from what I know.
wzhang5460

Post by wzhang5460 »

Greetings my fellow Mystery Architecture legends, if you want some practice and see how you compare to other teams, below is a link for a practice prompt made by our good friends over at Community. Feel free to add your score if you choose to participate. Good luck and have fun.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fPD ... grM-c/edit
Circuit Lab NY State Champion with legendary circuitologist Eric Wang
LONGEST DEFENDING ROCKS AND MINERALS REGIONAL CHAMPION OF EASTERN LONG ISLAND IN HISTORY ~4 YEARS AND COUNTING

Return to “2019 Lab Events”