dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Codebusters C

Post by dragonfruit35 »

jimmy-bond wrote:I got my test back and realized that they encoded it using a 24-letter alphabet instead of 26 and I am now kicking myself, because the left symbols were A and right symbols were B, which is what I tried initially.
Oh nooooo :cry:

PS: I think this might help you :)
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
jimmy-bond
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by jimmy-bond »

dragonfruit35 wrote:
jimmy-bond wrote:I got my test back and realized that they encoded it using a 24-letter alphabet instead of 26 and I am now kicking myself, because the left symbols were A and right symbols were B, which is what I tried initially.
Oh nooooo :cry:

PS: I think this might help you :)
Thank you. I didn't know that. That might be the reason I mess up on most practice tests.
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
Carrot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Carrot »

For solving the timed question, can you get it checked when you still have 1 or 2 errors (as often I can't think of the last word with two missing letters in it) or do you have to fully solve the problem?
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by Riptide »

Carrot wrote:For solving the timed question, can you get it checked when you still have 1 or 2 errors (as often I can't think of the last word with two missing letters in it) or do you have to fully solve the problem?
Yes you can have it checked with up to 2 errors.
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
mpnobivucyxtz
Division: C
State: NY

Post by mpnobivucyxtz »

Is there a standard format for this event? Last year's nationals test provided frequency tables and the Vigenere table as well, but some invitationals I've seen provide neither. What can I expect from regionals and states?
Longivitis

Post by Longivitis »

mpnobivucyxtz wrote:Is there a standard format for this event? Last year's nationals test provided frequency tables and the Vigenere table as well, but some invitationals I've seen provide neither. What can I expect from regionals and states?
Ideally they should provide the Vigenere table, letters to numbers (A = 0, B = 1), Baconian table, modulo inverse (rarely), and texts for running key ciphers. They should also have frequency percentages for English and Spanish as well.
University of Texas at Austin '23
Cypress Lakes High School '19

Chemistry Lab, Codebusters, Game On, Science Word, Towers, We've Got Your Number
jimmy-bond

Post by jimmy-bond »

Longivitis wrote:
mpnobivucyxtz wrote:Is there a standard format for this event? Last year's nationals test provided frequency tables and the Vigenere table as well, but some invitationals I've seen provide neither. What can I expect from regionals and states?
Ideally they should provide the Vigenere table, letters to numbers (A = 0, B = 1), Baconian table, modulo inverse (rarely), and texts for running key ciphers. They should also have frequency percentages for English and Spanish as well.
And unideally, you get nothing and have to do Vigenere the long way, write out the letters to numbers, manually calculate Baconian, and memorize the modulo inverse table as well as frequencies of English and Spanish letters. However this normally only comes up with student-made tests so I wouldn't worry about it at a higher level.
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Riptide »

jimmy-bond wrote:
Longivitis wrote:
And unideally, you get nothing and have to do Vigenere the long way, write out the letters to numbers, manually calculate Baconian, and memorize the modulo inverse table as well as frequencies of English and Spanish letters. However this normally only comes up with student-made tests so I wouldn't worry about it at a higher level.
I don’t see any reason why event supervisors should provide a baconion table, modulo inverse, or even a letters to numbers table. Kind of takes away any skill gap this event could have for the non mono alphabetic ciphers. I do all the Vigenere by hand because it’s faster for me, but I can understand providing a table for that.
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
mpnobivucyxtz
Division: C
State: NY

Post by mpnobivucyxtz »

jimmy-bond wrote:
Longivitis wrote:
For frequencies, I meant the frequency of the letters in a particular ciphertext. Usually seen on tests below the question, where you can fill in the plaintext letters.
jimmy-bond

Post by jimmy-bond »

mpnobivucyxtz wrote:For frequencies, I meant the frequency of the letters in a particular ciphertext. Usually seen on tests below the question, where you can fill in the plaintext letters.
Yeah, they'll usually have that. If they do not provide it, the test maker just hates children

Return to “2019 Lab Events”