wec01
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by wec01 »

EmiliaM wrote:What is a celesta
It's sort of like a piano where instead of strings the hammers strike metal keys.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
timwu0

Post by timwu0 »

Does anyone know what app or device will be used at most State Tournaments (particularly MI) and Nationals for pitch and volume tests? I've found that different devices and apps can give very different results, and I just want to make sure we're practicing as with the same one as event supervisors will use. Anything helps, thanks!
wec01

Post by wec01 »

timwu0 wrote:Does anyone know what app or device will be used at most State Tournaments (particularly MI) and Nationals for pitch and volume tests? I've found that different devices and apps can give very different results, and I just want to make sure we're practicing as with the same one as event supervisors will use. Anything helps, thanks!
Google Science Journal is often used although I'm not sure whether it will necessarily be used at your state tournament or nationals.
4th place Fossils
2nd place Thermodynamics
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by Riptide »

wec01 wrote:
timwu0 wrote:Does anyone know what app or device will be used at most State Tournaments (particularly MI) and Nationals for pitch and volume tests? I've found that different devices and apps can give very different results, and I just want to make sure we're practicing as with the same one as event supervisors will use. Anything helps, thanks!
Google Science Journal is often used although I'm not sure whether it will necessarily be used at your state tournament or nationals.
From what I've heard nationals will not use Science Journal.
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
SHASO2018
Division: C
State: MI

Post by SHASO2018 »

wec01 wrote:
At my Michigan regionals they used Sci Journal, but I'm not sure what they'll do for states because it's not being used at nats.
R.I.P Region 15
Idk-2018

I'm getting too old for this
wec01

Post by wec01 »

SHASO2018 wrote:
wec01 wrote:
At my Michigan regionals they used Sci Journal, but I'm not sure what they'll do for states because it's not being used at nats.
If it was used at regionals there is a decent chance it will be used at states since the event supervisor could easily be the same person.
4th place Fossils
2nd place Thermodynamics
agentm
State: IL

Post by agentm »

What resources are you guys using for studying decibels? I'm trying to help my team figure it out but it's super confusing...
wec01

Post by wec01 »

agentm wrote:What resources are you guys using for studying decibels? I'm trying to help my team figure it out but it's super confusing...
The wikipedia page might be helpful and there's also a hyperphysics page on it: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... ntens.html

Basically, the point of decibels is to measure sound intensity in a way that is closer to how we perceive loudness, which is why it varies logarithmically with W/m^2. So if you hear a sound as twice as loud as another, the first one is roughly twice the number of decibels, not twice the W/m^2.

Because decibels are supposed to be more related to human hearing, that is also why is the value that it is. is roughly the minimum sound intensity humans can hear, so if the intensity is at (so if ), then . This makes 0 dB the minimum intensity humans can hear.

I'm not sure what part of it specifically is confusing you, but I hope this sort of general overview helps.
4th place Fossils
2nd place Thermodynamics
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

wec01 wrote:
agentm wrote:What resources are you guys using for studying decibels? I'm trying to help my team figure it out but it's super confusing...
The wikipedia page might be helpful and there's also a hyperphysics page on it: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... ntens.html

Basically, the point of decibels is to measure sound intensity in a way that is closer to how we perceive loudness, which is why it varies logarithmically with W/m^2. So if you hear a sound as twice as loud as another, the first one is roughly twice the number of decibels, not twice the W/m^2.

Because decibels are supposed to be more related to human hearing, that is also why is the value that it is. is roughly the minimum sound intensity humans can hear, so if the intensity is at (so if ), then . This makes 0 dB the minimum intensity humans can hear.

I'm not sure what part of it specifically is confusing you, but I hope this sort of general overview helps.
It's worth noting that decibels can denote sound pressure as well as sound intensity and so you should have reference values for both (one in pascals and one in watts per square meter).
agentm
State: IL

Post by agentm »

wec01 wrote:
agentm wrote:What resources awe you guys using fow studying decibels? I'm trying to hewp my team figure it out but it's super confusing...
The wikipedia page might be helpful and thewe's also a hyperphysics page on it: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... ntens.html

Basically, the point of decibels is to measure sound intensity in a way that is closer to how we perceive loudness, which is why it varies logarithmically with W/m^2. So if you hear a sound as twice as loud as another, the fiwst one is roughly twice the numbew of decibels, not twice the W/m^2.

Because decibels awe supposed to be mowe related to human hearing, that is also why is the value that it is. is roughly the minimum sound intensity humans can hear, so if the intensity is at (so if ), then . This makes 0 dB the minimum intensity humans can hear.

I'm not sure what pawt of it specifically is confusing you, but I hope this sort of genewaw overview helps.
We never studied logs, so that's the hardest part. I'm still a little unsure of the difference between sound intensity, sound pressure, and sound pressure level. Like...why are there three different ways of describing the same thing? Also, my team saw a question on an invite test about how many decibels something was "twice as loud" and the answer apparently wasn't twice the decibels. Maybe it was "twice as intense"? Does that make a difference?

Also.....for some reason my browser is changing r's into w's and I can't figure out what the heck is going on. It's actually kind of amusing.

Return to “2019 Lab Events”