Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by Jacobi »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
lamppost wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: That is correct. Interestingly though, there's a volume test.
For the volume test, the louder the better right? And since multiple attacks on the one pitch is allowed would it count as cheating if you make one pitch significantly louder than the rest when you're building your device? Or do all the pitches have to be the same volume throughout
Yes, the louder the better. You can make one pitch significantly louder than the rest but it has to be part of the scale you play (which you conveniently get to choose). Also remember you can't make any adjustments after the pitch test (I don't think this really applies for your idea, but just in case).
Could you make a two-part device with an easily tunable component, like a xylophone, and a loud component, like a trumpet? If they're connected, you could have one person at the xylophone and the other at the trumpet. You wouldn't have to adjust anything.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Jacobi wrote:
lamppost wrote: For the volume test, the louder the better right? And since multiple attacks on the one pitch is allowed would it count as cheating if you make one pitch significantly louder than the rest when you're building your device? Or do all the pitches have to be the same volume throughout
Yes, the louder the better. You can make one pitch significantly louder than the rest but it has to be part of the scale you play (which you conveniently get to choose). Also remember you can't make any adjustments after the pitch test (I don't think this really applies for your idea, but just in case).
Could you make a two-part device with an easily tunable component, like a xylophone, and a loud component, like a trumpet? If they're connected, you could have one person at the xylophone and the other at the trumpet. You wouldn't have to adjust anything.
I'm very skeptical of this approach based on the spirit of the rules - this does not seem to match the description of the event in 1. as I would interpret this as two instruments.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
hippo9
Division: C
State: IN

Post by hippo9 »

Jacobi wrote:
lamppost wrote: For the volume test, the louder the better right? And since multiple attacks on the one pitch is allowed would it count as cheating if you make one pitch significantly louder than the rest when you're building your device? Or do all the pitches have to be the same volume throughout
Keep in mind it requires the pitch played for the volume test to be part of your scale, so that might derail your idea anyways.
2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chem Lab, Code, Disease, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds
2020 and 2021: Astro, Chem Lab, Code, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds

When you miss nats twice by a combined two points :|
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

hippo9 wrote:
Jacobi wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: Yes, the louder the better. You can make one pitch significantly louder than the rest but it has to be part of the scale you play (which you conveniently get to choose). Also remember you can't make any adjustments after the pitch test (I don't think this really applies for your idea, but just in case).
Keep in mind it requires the pitch played for the volume test to be part of your scale, so that might derail your idea anyways.
You can always just have one pitch of the scale be extra loud (though I'm not sure how you would do that without making two instruments), but with a xylophone, if I remember correctly, higher pitches are already louder than lower pitches anyway.
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

hippo9 wrote:
Jacobi wrote:
You can always just have one pitch of the scale be extra loud (though I'm not sure how you would do that without making two instruments), but with a xylophone, if I remember correctly, higher pitches are already louder than lower pitches anyway.
You could design an acoustic amplifier that resonates on a particular tone, making it extra-loud.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Jacobi wrote:
hippo9 wrote: Keep in mind it requires the pitch played for the volume test to be part of your scale, so that might derail your idea anyways.
You could design an acoustic amplifier that resonates on a particular tone, making it extra-loud.
Oh, good idea!
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

Jacobi wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: You can always just have one pitch of the scale be extra loud (though I'm not sure how you would do that without making two instruments), but with a xylophone, if I remember correctly, higher pitches are already louder than lower pitches anyway.
Oh, good idea!
Specifically, consider an air chamber, like that in a violin's f-holes. If such a chamber was designed such that its resonant frequency precisely matched a frequency of the scale, then that chamber would resonate on the playing of that frequency, amplifying the sound.

EDIT: When such a chamber would be played as an aerophone. Also, this only works for instruments that are not aerophones.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Are y'all just using this website to study?
bingbong

Post by bingbong »

So My teammate and I are making a makeshift violin, and in the rules it stays no professional and toy tuning pegs. Does that mean we can't make our own or ...? :shock: :shock:
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

bingbong wrote:So My teammate and I are making a makeshift violin, and in the rules it stays no professional and toy tuning pegs. Does that mean we can't make our own or ...? :shock: :shock:
It means that you must make your own tuning pegs.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2019 Lab Events”