Sounds of Music C

SHASO2018
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by SHASO2018 »

Also, is this event usually self-scheduled? That is how it was at my regionals, and there was still a written test.
R.I.P Region 15
Idk-2018

I'm getting too old for this
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by Riptide »

SHASO2018 wrote:Also, is this event usually self-scheduled? That is how it was at my regionals, and there was still a written test.
Yes it is usually self scheduled.
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
eagerlearner102

Post by eagerlearner102 »

How do you solve Princeton invitational #31? I tried using f=v/2L and considered correction length and didn't even get the answers they wanted.
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
wec01
State: VA

Post by wec01 »

eagerlearner102 wrote:How do you solve Princeton invitational #31? I tried using f=v/2L and considered correction length and didn't even get the answers they wanted.
I'm not sure about this but it looks like they're using f=v/4L not f=v/2L. This doesn't entirely make sense, though, since a pan flute should be open on both ends, so I might be missing something.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
eagerlearner102

Post by eagerlearner102 »

That is the same problem for me. I found that confusing because clarinet can be closed pipes.
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
tjc1123

Post by tjc1123 »

Has anyone figured out a way to implement a valve mechanism for trumpets? I've tried so many different methods and nothing seems to work like it should.
Thanks!
wec01

Post by wec01 »

tjc1123 wrote:Has anyone figured out a way to implement a valve mechanism for trumpets? I've tried so many different methods and nothing seems to work like it should.
Thanks!
I haven't actually made a trumpet so there's a good chance my advice won't help much, but some possible ideas are:

1. 3D printed valves; if you happen to have access to a 3D printer you can probably find designs online like this one:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:662115 or something similar. I believe most designs consist of many parts, so you might be able to find a way to just print the valves and have it work with what you have already. They might be finicky, however.

2. This is a rather underdeveloped idea, but maybe you can find a way to create something more like a rotary valve like this: Image
This might be more difficult to make, but there might be some way to use different PVC valves to change the path of the air, although I'm not sure how the sound quality of it would be.

3. If you really can't figure out the valves, it might be easier to make something more along the lines of a trombone with a slide rather than valves. You could also do something altogether different like making mouthpieces or interchangeable pieces of tubing of different lengths. It might be more practical to abandon a trumpet and choose something that would be easier to build/tune.

I'm not sure if this will help, so hopefully someone with more experience with building something like a trumpet has something more insightful to say, but that's just my two cents.
4th place Fossils
2nd place Thermodynamics
hippo9
State: IN

Post by hippo9 »

wec01 wrote:
eagerlearner102 wrote:How do you solve Princeton invitational #31? I tried using f=v/2L and considered correction length and didn't even get the answers they wanted.
I'm not sure about this but it looks like they're using f=v/4L not f=v/2L. This doesn't entirely make sense, though, since a pan flute should be open on both ends, so I might be missing something.
Pan flutes are closed pipes....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_flute
2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chem Lab, Code, Disease, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds
2020 and 2021: Astro, Chem Lab, Code, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds

When you miss nats twice by a combined two points :|
wec01

Post by wec01 »

hippo9 wrote:
wec01 wrote:
Pan flutes are closed pipes....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_flute
Oh okay, that's what I was missing
4th place Fossils
2nd place Thermodynamics
EmiliaM
State: IL